“Comfortable, great location and good food.”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Edinburgh
“Comfortable, great location and good food.”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Booked this hotel at a special rate via a well known hotel site for our first few days in Australia. Really glad we did, the room was spotless, fantastically comfortable bed, quiet and exceptional choice for breakfast. Topped off with a great central location, this place was hard to fault. Only caveate would be the value score would have been less if we had payed full price.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the Westin Sydney for 5 nights when we were on our honeymoon in June 2011. Lots of pros and minor cons, which I've listed below. The key card to the room often failed to register in the elevator at first (or second) attempt. Annoying but not enough for it to affect my rating. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend this hotel.

Pros:
- AWESOME location. Great homebase. In the heart of the retail area, down the street from Pitt Street Mall, the Galleries (a mall), and BVS. 15 min walk to the Rocks and the Quay Harbor. 20 min walk to the Opera House. 5-10 min walk to Royal Botanic Gardens.
- You feel safe.
- Beautiful, luxurious hotel; very modern and sophisticated. Definitely more of a business hotel but that's what we liked about it.
- The hotel gave us a bottle of champagne, dessert, and a nice card to congratulate us on our marriage.
- Terrific room (clean, spacious, comfy) with modern details, and quiet as I requested. We couldn't hear my neighbors’ TVs or their conversation. Quality hotel right there.
- Ron at the concierge desk was super helpful in lining up reservations for dinner at popular, hard-to-get-into restaurants.
- Front desk and staff are friendly, helpful, and very professional. Loved it!
- Tons of hip bars surrounding the area although not many cafés open in the morning for breakfast. We went to Pitt Street Mall most mornings for a quick, simple breakfast.
- For you runners, the hotel provides a cheat sheet of nearby running trails and had water waiting for us at the front door when we got back.

Cons:
-Security cards to get on the elevator are finicky.
-No free internet in the room. They used to give Starwood Preferred Members free wifi in the room, but even now they’ve gotten stingy about it. But we just used the Business Center or went to the lobby. We were on honeymoon after all.
-Business Center is located in the "old" side. A little weird because it’s so detached from everything else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
western australia
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Room 1201, king bed, very comfortable, spacious and a full window view of the clock tower which I quirkily enjoyed. Our initial assigned room was 402- very claustrophobic space which i think is due to the fact that it is within the auditorium structure, it is probably the same size as spacious 1201 but I was very, very glad to get the move.
Best points
Location, location, location- easy walk to the shopping strip, easy walk to Circular Quay and the Botanical Gardens, etc.
Nice tea and coffee.
Nice bathroom products.
Pleasant staff.
Negatives
The price of internet- outrageous at $25/day, this fact has been commented on time and time again yet the charge persists- I don't get it.
The in house pricing in the room/room service/lobby lounge- it is all really exorbitant. I dont get that either.

Overall, a good stay, we enjoyed the hotel whilst there for a 2 night stay.
Would I go back? Not necessarily. The room rate would have to be very inviting.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can, if you have to have a mid level 1201 was good. Near the elevator but no noise...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Gill G
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Absolutely fabulous hotel, couldn't fault it - a very enjoyable stay. Would definitely stay there again and recommend to other.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We have just been back from a long weekend stay at the Westin Sydney. We love everything about the hotel. The room was of a very good size. Bed was large and comfortable. Lovely ambience in the lobby. The hotel is situated right in the city, within walking distance to shops and food. Will definitely stay here again when next in Sydney. I was secretly wishing that our Qantas flight got cancelled so we could stay another night :) (Yes we were in Sydney the weekend Qantas grounded all their planes)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

If your looking for a grand 5 star experience, I suggest you shop elsewhere.
I chose the Westin because I am a member of the Starwood group.
Being 5 Star, I didn't have any delusions about price. However this Sydney based hotel hikes up prices. I thought I was in London.
A 5 Star hotel that charges what this hotel does, the service should be backed up by uncompromising superiority.
I left the hotel feeling ripped off.
There was no pulse at check in. Not even a welcome for a Starwood member. Here's you key. See you later.
I had one small bag that took 20 minutes to get to my room. I had to call concierge to speed things up. If your thinking of room service, watch out for the whopping add ons that could blowout your dinner budget. For example. Caeser Salad with prawns $40 plus $8 delivery fee. ( I think it was $18 for 3 prawns. $6 each )
Just note when ordering room service, any small changes to the menu should be clarified with the operator to avoid any shocks when you come to paying the bill.
Internet $25 for 24 hrs.
A hotel without heart. Dissapointing

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Sash8849
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Martin PL is right in the middle of the city so you can walk to everything. The hotel is large with many restaurants, a pool, workout area, room service, bell boys, etc. Our room was great: large, great view over the city and wonderful bed. I will stay there again when I'm back in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level so you can see the city.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple