“Great hotel in a great location”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #37 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here a year ago and were impressed. The rooms were clean and large and staff were efficient.

Breakfast was good with a lot of choice. A lovely building to stay in within a good central location. We felt it provided good value for money.

Felt like a very business orientated hotel but still friendly for couples like ourselves.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lou_pro85
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear lou_pro85

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Sydney and for sharing your wonderful comments. We are naturally delighted you were comfortable in our care and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mark Burns

Write a ReviewReviews (3,394)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was debating between the starwood properties and in the end chose this based on reviews, location and room configuration. Was not disappointed. Arriving from the States early was not sure we would have our room available, upon checkin were told it would be about 30min-1 hr, not bad considering it was 8am. we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant, afterwards our room was ready. Room was spacious and comfortable. Bath was spacious, modern and comfortable, I love a spacious bathroom! We were upgraded to tower room on high floor due to being starwood members. Staff were all helpful and like I said, location was perfect. few doors down was a coles express to pickup essentials, lots of cafes and restos and of course westfield shopping mall across the street with a great food court. train station 2blks away.
My only complaint and this is minor, we had breakfast 4 days in a row at the hotel and it did not differ at all. day 5 we decided to eat out. however those 1st few days breakfast was great, fresh juices, made to order eggs etc. they were offering a reduce price so inquire at checkin if you wish to avail this. Concierge was also very helpful. oh of course no free wifi but you get 1hr free in lobby...how generous!!!

Room Tip: high floor, tower side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thetravelling4
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear dbabaran

We are pleased to read your review following your recent visit at The Westin Sydney and delighted we could assist in making your stay with us comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

When we travel for business and leisure trip, we make sure that we are put up at decent hotel in strategic loation and we chose Westin for our 5 nights trip to Sydney. The hotel lives up to its reputation by being strategically located in the heart of Sydney CBD with easy access to all the attractions by public transport or even on foot.

The service is superb and the room is clean, we wish we were put up at a higher floor to get a better view of this enchanting city. We slept so well in the signature Westin heavenly bed and so tempted to bring it home, if we have the moola.

As a certified yoga instructor, I have the habit of checking out the gym where I stay, if time permits. I was very impressed by the quality of gym and was literally there every day to swim, run and even participate in two yoga classes.

Even though it's a little tricky to access to the gym from the hotel, once you get there, it's a world on its own. If I were to work in CBD Sydney, I will probably sign up with a gym membership to unwind and work out.

Tips:
1. Look out for in-house promotion as it may be cheaper to book for the room directly through the hotel than from other third party websites.

2. If you check in before the stated check in time, you are required to pay for the night before (apparently, it's a standard practice in Australia), adjust your flight accordingly to avoid additional charges

Room Tip: Inform the receptionist prior to your departure to negotiate for a room with good view facing the CB...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank YvonneWoi

Dear YvonneWoi

We are delighted to read your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney and pleased you could take advantage of the privately operated Goodlife Health Club. Our aim is to ensure our guests depart feeling better than when they arrive and we are also pleased to learn you took comfort in our signature Westin Heavenly Beds®. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Friendly staff, superb location, very flexible in terms of early check-in. The Heritage side of the building is fantastic. High recommended for business travelers. The breakfast was superb, as was the room service. Access to a high end gym is also part of the equation - although I was too lazy to take advantage of it.

Room Tip: Book a Heritage room - its in the old, high ceiling side of the hotel.Beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear DucatiSteve

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and took comfort in one of our Heritage room overlooking Martin Place. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Sydney.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed here before and have found the location and the rooms to be very nice (I usually stay in the historic wing). Breakfast is very good. Probably my biggest pet peeve is being charged for wifi. I rank that up there with airlines charging for pillows on red eye flights. Check in was slow as I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and only one person was working the checkin kiosks so I waited about 20 minutes to get checked in. My biggest peeve was on the day of check out. Inquired about an extended check out and was told the hotel was booked which was fine I will be out by noon. At 11am they stopped by and said, "I thought you were gone already". At 11:15 someone walked in without knocking asking when I was leaving and told them at noon prior to your required checkout. The fact that someone just walked in my room plus the obvious pressure to get me out before the checkout time left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Rooms are good size and bed is very comfortable, Very nice lobby and restaurants in the hotel are excellent for business as well as relaxing.

The obvious pressure to get me out earlier than assigned checkout knocked at least one star and possible one and a half stars off the rating.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank South_Pacific_Seas
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear South_Pacific_Seas

Thank you for detailing your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are grateful for your loyalty and naturally disappointed you were not totally satisfied with your experience.

We sincerely regret to learn of your arrival experience and we are sorry if you had to wait before being served at our reception desk. We are also disappointed to learn that our Housekeeping Associates disrupted your experience prior to your departure and sorry if they made you feel uncomfortable. This is very disappointing and certainly not indicative of the service we strive to maintain. Please rest assured your comments have been addressed with our Executive Housekeeper who has extended her sincere apology.

We also appreciate your comment regarding our internet offering and as you may be aware it is currently our practice to allow our guests the option to purchase this service if they wish. We do also offer complimentary wireless internet access in the Lobby, Mosaic Restaurant and The Bar. We sincerely regret if this service did not meet your expectations.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Sydney to restore your faith in our hospitality.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was at this hotel for a business meeting and the service could not have been better. The room was nice and large which gave me plenty of room to spread out my work. The breakfast buffet offered a lot of options which was great to have available. I even had time to venture outside of the hotel for a little while and was able to easily walk down to the harbor and get some sight seeing in.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Two Eagle M

Our aim is to ensure our guests depart feeling better than when they arrive and we are delighted to learn of your enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed in this hotel in many occasions and it never a disappointed me. If you are traveling with a partner make sure to ask for a tower room with the view of the tower clock for a romantic setting. The only downside in this hotel is the swimming pool amenities which is not upto the standard of a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear John W

Thank you for sharing your comments following your experience at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you were comfortable in our care however regret if the swimming pool facility part of the privately operated Good Life Health Club did not meet your expectations. We hope to see you back again soon.