“Great Hotel GREAT staff”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #33 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We have just completed a 3 month trip around Australia.
We started at the Westin in Sydney and as we enjoyed it so much, we completed our journey at the Westin Sydney.
Indeed, we initially booked in for 8 nights back in September but actually stayed for 12 nights then with a further 4 nights in Nov/ Dec at the end of our trip.
Unlike the last reviewer, we can find nothing to fault the hotel - even when they were very busy.
The two rooms we had (on the 20th and 23rd floor) were very clean and modern with a glass partition between the bathroom and living area (which can be closed by a blind).
The view was stunning overlooking the clock tower.

We stayed at the Park Hyatt last year which was excellent especially with a room overlooking the Opera House, but I have to say, the staff at the Westin were far friendlier and very efficient.
Special mention to Dominique who looked after us very well and upgraded us to a lovely room on our first visit. Also Rohan who ensured we had a similar room on our second visit.
Room service was always bang on time as was the Laundry service.
Breakfast was a little expensive but I obtained a better deal to include breakfast when I booked direct for our second visit (compared to going via a Tour Operator when we first booked in).
Ron and Gary on Concierge also friendly and very helpful. (I think the previous reviewer was staying in a different hotel!).

Overall, great location. Fantastic service and lovely clean modern rooms with good food. What else do you need from a City Centre hotel?
We would definitely stay again and would highly recommend to others.
Our home in Sydney!

Reviewed 29 November 2008

Stayed at Westin Sydney for 3 nights with family (2 rooms, total cost over $2000) - basically we won't be back - here are some pointers -
- Zero recognition as Starwood Platinum othet than the points and breakfast
- Front Desk Agent had no idea whether the hotel's rooms were connecting (!!) - had to get manager...
- Asked for upgrade as Platinum Guest and was told hotel was full. I had to get a Starwood reservation for a Junior Suite to prove to the Service Express hotel operator that an upgrade was indeed available... She argued with me - literally argued with me - to the point I just asked for the Manager... He explained that of course an upgrade was available - just that it was on a low floor... (So why make me go to the extent of making a dummy reservation rather than be honest and up-front with me?!?...)
- I advised I'll stay in a regular/non-upgraded room, but requested a higher floor - was advised only 1 of our 2 rooms could move to a higher floor... (Please keep in mind that I have been a Starwood Platinum member since the program was created... Most hotels recognize Platinum members with a fruit bowl or at the very least a note - at the Westin Sydney there is ZERO recognition)
- After the first night I had my PA 'negotiate' to get the 2 rooms on a higher floor - I honestly can't tell you why the hotel staff make you jump through hoops to be decent/hospitable - at no cost to the hotel...
- Asked for 2 bottled of complimentary water (which we got on the first day) and advised we can only get these at turn-down service... I thanked the operator and asked that these be delivered now instead of later - of course the bottles never came... :)
- No Concierge at night... Asked Front Desk Manager how long it would take to get to Sydney Bridge Climb in the morning - his reply was "Oh, you could allow half an hour". I told him there was now way that The Rocks (area) was a half hour away from the hotel - he replied that he didn't know where the Bridge Climb was (this is one of Sydney's TOP tourist attractions!!) and of it's at The Rocks, then half an hour was about right - or maybe 15 minutes... Aaaahhhhh... Nothing like an ignorant local to give you misdirections...
- Turned-up at Coffee Shop at 10.31pm - literally 10.31pm - and was told we could not be seated for desert as they close at 10.30pm... Spoke to 2 staff members who advised we should go to the lobby (we've already been there and they had nothing) or order room service (!!). After trying to 'negotiate' for a few minutes I asked for the manager, who apologised, but frankly, by then we were over it...

Bottom line - hotel is well located, rooms are not large and have no views, but are nice/comfoartable and have decent bathrooms. Staff is a whole other story - long waits at front desk, and VERY MUCH in need of training in customer service - in several departments, from the phone, to front desk and f&b.

Staff clearly unaware customers pay their wages and leave the impression we are distrubing them...

We won't be back...

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FrqntTrvlrMelbourne
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday. We arrived at 12 noon and Paul the very polite customer service employee said we could check in already and offered us the choice of 2 rooms and we ended up chosing the room on the 25th floor room 2502. This was the Starwood Guest floor.

Paul even offered to deliver me a complimentary gift to my room for my birthday which ended up being cake, a letter and complimentary bottles of water (water was an amusing touch).

The hotel staff were always ready to help in any way possible.

The room itself was nice, clean and comfortable. You could see the bathroom through the glass window in the bathroom, or you could press a button to close the blinds on the bathroom window.

The bathroom had a separate section for the bathroom and shower.

The room itself had a nice view of Martin Place.

The room had a flat screen and DVD player so it would've been good to bring own DVDs to watch.

The gym was pretty average. It was a task to get to, and a confusing task to find the pool. The pool area is pretty average, nothing special.

We ordered in room dining which was so expensive! $21 for a sandwich w fries and what they call a salad which consisted of just lettuce. They stuffed my order but was prompt to fix it. The restaurants in the hotel are very overpriced, you would better eating out.

The hotel is located right next to Pitt Street Mall which is the shopping precinct of the city.

Overall good hotel.

Reviewed 13 November 2008

Hotel is clean, modern and very grand. Rooms are quite small for A$300/night. While the rooms are very modern with glass and beech wood, there were small things that were annoying for a 5 star. For example, the cabinet door to the mini fridge did not close properly and so the sharp stainless steel door handle was always jutting out waiting for you to gash yourself on it. This is exacerbated by the small size of the room which increased the likely hood of hurting yourself.

The onsite Westin restaurant and bar was WAY overpriced. Since when did the Westin start competing with Michelin star restaurants in pricing? A$30 for a hotel cheeseburger??? Lets get serious.

Oh ya, they tried to charge me an additional A$20 for a late checkout. My total bill was A$1,500 over 3 days and they tried to ding me with A$20 on the way out. Incredible.

The hotel gym is actually a private members gym. It was old with old equipment. This would have been acceptable for a standard hotel but not a 5 star that charged $300 / night. Not a big deal but just another thing that adds up agains this hotel.

Location was excellent and centrally located in the CBD - if thats what you need.

To sum it up, the hotel is clean and slick but scratch past the veneer and its actually a fairly significant rip off. You can probably do better in a boutique hotel and get more bang for the buck.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 10 November 2008

stayed in the Westin for 5 nights in October, what a brilliant hotel!! we were met upon arrival and bags were taken from us. we were whisked to reception to check in. as it was 7am the room would not be available to a few hours. the receptionist took my mobile phone number and said she would call when the room was available and sure enough at 10am i got the phonecall.

when i arrived in the room the bags were already there. the room was gorgeous! very big with a huge bed which was so comfy that everytime i sat on it i nearly fell asleep!! the bathroom was just as good with a huge shower and a rainforest showerhead too! (i struggled to get the rainforest showerhead to work but reception staff were very helpful) the bath was big enough for tow people and had a huge glass window looking out into the room. great if you were with a partner and were happy to be seen in the bath but if not there was an electronic blind that came down.

the room was cleaned every day and the shampoos etc replaced every day. there was even free bottled water and ice every evening!

staff were very helpful and polite. i did not eat in the hotel but the prices were quite high. a little tip, if you go down the stairs in reception there are a vast array of restaurants and bars that serve lunch. (i did not spot them until the final day and it looked very busy but i cannot comment on prices or quality of food).
great location 10 min walk from harbour, 5 minutes to the right of the hotel was a huge food court with great choices of food at great prices!! also brilliant shops within 10 mins walking distance!

i would def recommend this hotel to people and would def go back! worth the money i paid to stay there!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We had a great weekend escape at the Westin Sydney. Lovely furnishings & great location if shopping is on the agenda. Taxi's at your door and the atmosphere is comforting.

Reviewed 19 September 2008

I decided to treat my wife to a mini break by staying at the Westin Hotel in Sydney, Australia.
We have previously eaten to this Hotel on many occassions and have been well treated by the team and have really enjoyed the experience.
When we arrived at the Hotel for our stay, the receptionist was engaged with a customer, but within a split second, we were approached by another staff member (badge said supervisor) and were booked in quickly and efficiently wit a full explanation of all services at our disposal. He even booked a table at their Mosaic restaurant for us.

The room was very well appointed and in modern taste, which we were very comfortable with.

The service and quality of the food was exceptional. The wine list a little underdone, but adequate.

In the morning, the breakfast was fantastic.

The checkout process was fast and efficient.

We will definitely go back.

2  Thank montegrappa