“A disappointing stay”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My sister and I decided to stay one night at the Westin the night before my special day due to the five star rating the hotel had to offer and that it was closely located to where we needed to be at in the morning.

Service was wonderful on the front end; twice being asked if I needed help with my bags. The man that served me at the reception was very friendly and made check-in a breeze. Upon entering our room, we were shocked at how spacious the room was, considering we had only booked a tower room. I was happy to see that they had provided the two king beds as requested in my booking. Everything was like it was pictured on the website. We had a massive mirrored wardrobe which wasn't required as we were only staying the night. The bathroom was opposite the warddrobe with the toilet and shower areas, each, as a separate room. A transparent glass pane separated the massive bathroom and the beds, allowing occupants to look into the bathroom and it's contents when the blinds were not drawn.

We decided to check out the pools and the facilities that it had to offer. It took forever to get to the pool room - endless steps and lifts. By the time we got there, it was disappointing to see that the pool was so small and did not match the luxurious setting that the hotel boasts.

We got given a room pretty high up and I was sure we'd have a really good sleep (we needed to!). I was wrong. All throughout the night, we could hear doors slamming (from people coming back in the middle of the night); at one point we even heard the flushing of the toilet. We barely heard the traffic below and so was dismayed at the level of the sounds that could be heard from within the hotel. The beds were slightly uncomfortable and my sister reported that her pillows smelt like food and was therefore reluctant to use them. As a result, we didnt get much sleep. Thankfully I had a discount voucher for this hotel, as it would not be worth the full priced room. In saying that, the price I paid in the end was not even worth the level of stay I had that night. I will not consider this a place to stay should I need to stay in the city for a function in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Westin seems to go the extra mile in luxury appointments and service. The hotel is part of the refurbished origional Sydney post office, although the part we stayed in was the new tower. On slight downside was that the restauants and cafe's seem to be franchises not owned by the hotel and do not chare accounts to the room. If this ws made clear in the first place it would save some confusion.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Hadit
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I have travelled a lot for both work and play in Sydney and have stayed at a large number of the five-star hotels in Sydney. Relocated from the Shangri-la (my accommodation of choice) to here over the weekend because my sister was coming to stay and I was after somewhere more central, and the Westin is certainly convenient in that respect. Rooms are relatively spacey (more so than theFour Seasons/Hilton) and my current view is over a clock tower if you like that sort of thing.

However - when I arrived in a cab with luggage at just after midnight on a Friday, there were NO STAFF in the lobby even though it was busy with guests/assorted Friday night crowd. No bellboys - noone at reception and one unfriendly doorman who watched as I struggled with getting two large bags and a suitcase out of the cab, across the lobby and into the lift. Did not come across one single hotel employee during this time.

So all in all - great location, however even on floor sixteen I can hear the noise from the street. Room facilities are nice and spacious however servicing is an issue - my bathroon sink was still wet from previous use when I checked in. As above, service is appalling. If you are after more of a luxury experience, avoid the riff raff, suck up the extra 500 metre walk and stay at the Shangri la/Intercontinental/Wentworth/Park Hyatt. If you are after an overpriced convenient location with no customer service, stay at the Westin.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed here because we have stayed at the Westin Dubai so many times and had a great time there.
We were sort of thinking that we would have the same experience, however this is more of a Buisness travellers hotel, rather than somewhere to stay when you're on holidays with a family.

Having said that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and will definitely be reccomending this hotel to friends.

The service was excellent. I was extremely suprised when I came back froma jog one evening and the concierge handed me a bottle of water and towel as I came into the hotel lobby (obviously I looked like I needed it:)). It's this type of service and help that sets the Westin chain apart from most of the others around the world.

My only tip to families deciding to stay here is to get the Deluxe rooms. My wife, 7 month old baby and I stayed here initially in a Heritage Superior room and found it unbearably small with all of the luggage etc that goes along with a baby. We ended up upgrading to the Heritage Deluxe for the rest of our stay. This was 100% more livable and the staff were so helpful in heling us move. Nothing was too much of a chore for them...v.impressed!!

Breakfast was great, we can definitely reccomend that you get this as a part of your room rate. It might cost more, but is worth it.

Excellent buisness centre there. Internet, scanner & printer are all there and suprisingly free to use. We were going for our USA visa interview near the hotel, so needed to do some last minute (frantic) scanning & printing...was no worries here.

Location was 100000000%. Just walked down to Circular Quay & the Rocks for dinner everynight.
Reccomend a trip to Manly (via Freey) and also to Watsons Bay (Doyles Fish & Chips - best Takeaway).

Only negative I can find is the views. I was told over the phone that all rooms had 'city views'. Now I took it that this was a good thing...I was wrong. City views means a view of the next buildings windows.
When we changed to the Deluxe room the view was pretty good (looking out to Martin Place), so I can really reccomend room 322 if you want to have a decent view.
Oh, one otherthing. Dont bet on getting a massage at the hotel. This we tried so much for and no spots were ever available. This was a bit annoying, but like I said, it's a buisness hotel and not a resort so we guess that the spa part isn't like the one in Dubai.

Just for the record:
* Stayed 5 nights (25-30.09.2010)
* $410/night (incl. breakfast)
* Stayed in room 322 (highly reccomend this room as it has good 'mall' views).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank LAGLondon
Reviewed 8 October 2010

thanks to Laurie H from spg.com who made this stay happened. As my spg card expired, i should wait for 7 days to have the points back, but Laurie H helped to made a booking. Thank you Laurie. We book superior for two days, first day booked with the points from starwood and second day with credit card. 'we have been upgraded to twin room deluxe in room 335, the room superb, spacious, clean with a fire place decor. the bed are superb, the bath tub great. with overlooking view to the city. the only thing is the second day when we would like to had breakfast..at mozaic...we have to wait to be seated...nobody attend us...wait for at least 8 minutes..even restaurant attendant sees us but noone entertain us..but it doesnt matter as overal we had great time..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Westin this week. We had a 16th floor room with a view of clocktower... very nice. We enjoyed fabulous breakfast in teh Mosaic restaurant, also had Tapas and drinks in the bar in the evening as well as coffees in the afternoon. All very relaxing, service impressive, as many previous reviewers have said the beds are truely divine, we have stayed in many 5 star hotels both in Aus and overseas and I would say this was the best sleep I have ever had away form home. Would recommend this as a great couples escape.. also perfect access to the Jersey Boys which is showing a 2 minute walk from hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Clean modern hotel with comfortable beds. Breakfast at the Mosaic restaurant is smaller but much more relaxed than the one in Sheraton On the Park. Love the atmosphere here. Room 1806 had a nice view over the city. Convenient location for both business and leisure

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends