“Wow - luxury, ease, spacious”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Wow - luxury, ease, spacious”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

1) Location - cannot find a better location in Sydney from accesibility perspective. Only negative is that most rooms have no view
2) Large spacious rooms - modern and well equipped.
3) Bathrooms are a lap of luxury
4) Everything is so close - we did not take any public transport for 2 days - 300 mtrs from Sydney Tower, 500 mtrs from Circular Quay, 500 mtrs from Darling Harbour, 4 buildings away from ASX, Pitt Street mall
5) We did not use the restaurant and try food but well designed spacious coffee shop at lobby level.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I have just returned home after spending a wonderful night @ The Westin with my wife.

The Westin is centrally located in Sydney in the old GPO building in Martin Place. This makes it a short walk basically anywhere in town whether it be The Rocks, Opera House Precinct, Pitt St Mall, King St Wharf, Darling Harbour etc.

Upon arrival we were impressed by the friendly yet professional staff at Valet parking and Reception. Both parking and check-in were smooth processes that saw us check in early into our wonderful Executive Superior Room (on floor 27).

The room was luxuriously appointed and quiet spacious with a fantastic bathroom. The bathroom contained a large deep soaking bath, with a separate toilet & shower, The bathroom was separated from the main bedroom with a large glass wall, which opened up the space and allowed you to watch the TV from the bath tub. We loved the tub but the soaking shower was a close second. The other hightlight of the room was a king size bed, that the Westin marketed as a "Heavenly Bed". No false advertising here, this bed was nearly as comfortable as our own bed & provided us with a wonderful nights sleep. The airconditioning also worked exactly how it was supposed to work, this was evident by the fact that we did not have to adjust it at all!

The Westin also treated us to a complimentary bottle of champagne and cake, as we were celebrating our 10th Wedding anniversary. This was a pleasant surprise and done in an unassuming way without any fanfare. MUCH APPRECIATED.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on any food and dining offering as we had plans to eat elsewhere but we did notice a High Tea offering in the lobby that looked sensational (maybe next time).

Check out was also a simple process. An invoice was left under our door overnight, and our credit card was charged as per the invoice. This meant we just returned our swipe keys into an Express Check out box in the foyer. Official check out was at 11.00am but we did not vacate our room till 11.30am, it was nice not to be hounded out by overzelous housekeeping staff for "overstaying our welcome".

The Westin is a top end five star hotel, so it does not come cheap. Fortunately for the Westin, the service, offering, quality and value is near faultless. For a special occassion the Westin will not let you down,

NOTE: My only recommendation is that the bathroom should be fitted with a volume adjustable speaker that is connected to the TV. This will improve the experience of relaxing in the tub whilst watching & listening to a movie, sports event etc.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fi368
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I arrived early on check in day and was unable to check in. That is okay, I don't usually expect to get a room at 7am. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and put me on priority to get the next available room as she knew I was a little raggedy from the flight in. In the mean time she offered me a towel and use of the facilities of the gym toilets to freshen up.
To kill time I had breakfast in the Mosaic restaurant. A little pricey for eggs ben. Because that's all you get... Eggs ben. No grilled tomato, no pan-fried spinach which is the usual accompaniment at other restaurants.
Anyway I checked back sometime mid morning and my room was ready. The rooms are gorgeous, very spacious and clean. My room had no view, but I prefer it that way because it usually means that it is quieter. Of course the Heavenly beds which are at all Westins are indeed heavenly.
Room service was prompt, under 30 minutes. Housekeeping was also prompt.
Had dessert in the lobby bar one night and that was excellent.
Location is great, less than 5 minutes to Pitt St. Also very convenient if you are going to see a show on King Street. Also not far from the Rocks.
This might turn out to be my favourite Westin yet. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2010
Fremont, California
Reviewed 25 October 2010

It was for our Wedding anniversary. There were complimentary bottle of champagne and a nicely decorated plate of pastry waiting in our room when we checked in. Room is spacious, clean and contemporary. Fitness center and swimming pool were nice. Luxurious and best in its price range. No doubt for the next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 24 October 2010

You are spoiled for choices when it comes to luxury hotels in Sydney. This is a good thing for customers because when businesses compete, the products improve. The Westin Sydney (hereafter WS) is a prime example of a hotel that does not stop trying in order to retain its position as one of the finest business hotels in Sydney. Though it was not a perfect one, my last stay here was one where I could witness these efforts in all corners of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

One thing to note for those who have not visited Sydney is that the WS is located at the heart of Martin Place. This is the center of the CBD where you can reach Circular Quay (Opera House, The Rocks, Harbor Bridge) or the Darling Harbor (Aquarium, IMAX, King Street Wharf) by foot. In terms of location, I would rate the WS above the likes of Shangri-La or Four Seasons (which are located closer to the Rocks) or even the Sheraton on the Park or Hilton (closer to Darling Harbor and Town Hall) as it is strategically located in between. Furthermore, being in the middle of Martin Place means you get to stay on a street with impressive history – the very building that the hotel is housed in is over 100 years old. It is no doubt one of the most prestigious addresses in Sydney – if this is any indication, the hotel is side by side with the Macquarie Bank Global HQ.

Service is exceptional in most cases but is surprisingly flawed in others. The staffs are generally trained well and it shows through the way they interact with guests. Most notable are those at the check-in desks – those who represent the image of the hotel as they are first ones to meet guests. They are cheerful and helpful and do not mind doing ‘extraordinary’ things if it makes its guests have a more comfortable experience. The service issues I had was with room-service. I had realized in the morning that there were no dental kits in the bathroom so I had asked for one to be brought up. This took the hotel forty minutes to deliver. If I was on business and had to run for an appointment, this would have been fatal. When it finally arrived, I told the deliveryman that it had taken much longer than I thought was acceptable, and that this should be taken as a complaint to the hotel’s management. To this the gentleman who brought the dental kit shrugged his shoulders and said ‘Sure, no problem. Whatever’… and walked off. I was simply stunned that I stood there for a while thinking “what just happened???’
The other minor issue I had with WS’s service was every time I called the service line. The hotel seemed to have incorporated a process to have the agent hang up on you once they think you are done talking. There were a couple occasions when I was not done when the agent still said ‘Goodbye’ and hung up on me. I thought it was a given that these agents usually say something along the lines of ‘is there anything else I can help you with?’ before bidding farewell.
Still, when these matters were shared with the management, they listened and took action immediately to assure me that these issues will not repeat going forward. I may not have been 100% happy, but having been given the assurance at a personal level by the management let me know that this is a hotel that does listen and care, and that my voice is one of value to the management. I would not expect these service issues to repeat itself for anyone else now.

The hotel is a beautiful one as the design evidently tries to maximize the artistic blend of the hotel building with the modern comfort of the Westin brand. Mosaic restaurant is a fun place to dine as you get to dine in between the new tower and the old heritage building of the Westin. Service is superb. The lounge was a bit smaller than the ones I am used to but still provided comfort and a service level that was on par with some of the best hotels I have stayed in. There are hot offerings for breakfast at the lounge so make sure you stop by in the morning if you are at a club level.

In all, this is a beautiful hotel, centrally located with great service (minus the small incidents) and a fantastic product that one would expect from a Westin. Add to this the willingness of the management to engage guests where there are issues, this is a hotel that I would not hesitate staying in again in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaejaez
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We had a great stay at the Westin, room was large and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast each morning was excellent! The hotel location is very convenient, we were able to walk to the bridge, opera house, gardens... and/or public transport easily. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby but not in the rooms. Overall we had a great stay at the Westin and would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Ok yes its the Westin so I dont expect it to be cheap. Ive been frequenting this hotel for about five years and its always been a reliable stay. Rooms are relatively modern and its in a decent location. However things have just gotten a little too expensive. My main gripe is the they seem to want to charge you anything and everything and at an unreasonable rate. I understand when you order $30 cheeseburger from roomservice its because your paying for the service and I was always happy to indulge. Although this Westin now not only charges $30 for a simple burger they have also joined the money grab chorus and decided to also charge an $8 delivery fee. So that very expensive cheeseburger is now $38. Want a coffee, your looking at $12. Want to use the internet, thats another $30. Parking $50. When you add this to the fact the pool (which has been broken all year) is horrible, and the gym (which is always packed) is basically in another building, your view of the hotel goes from 5 star to 3. If all you want is a room then this is fine. But if you want personal service, amenities of 5 star hotel dont come here. This hotel is not set up for a romantic weekend for you and your partner to indulge. This is business hotel that expects corporate clients to charge everything to their corporate charge cards. Like I said Ive been staying here for over 5 years and have watched the service slip. Its not horribly bad but its is simply devoid of anything personal.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple