“Sydney Jewish Museum”

Sydney Jewish Museum
Ranked #50 of 486 things to do in Sydney
Reviewed 21 July 2014

staff were very helpful and supportive, great information, superb layout, a very profound exhibition on at the moment, liked it very much.

2  Thank Jake S

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Not being of Jewish faith it was a very interesting experience to walk through the museum & in particular the experiences relating to WW2 & the Holocaust. There are guided tours & plenty of people asking you if you need any assistance. I had the pleasure of a gentleman coming up to me & asking if I wanted to see something interesting. He showed me a picture of his wife with her family during WW2 & how she helped 6 people escape to safety. He then introduced me to his wife & son which gave it an even more human touch.
The exhibition on at the moment "Drawing on Memory" which is how I found out about the museum was wonderfully done & added to the experience. Well worth a visit.

3  Thank Badger01_12
Reviewed 6 July 2014

All visitors should be warned of the false advertising at the front of this building. it says open and visitors welcome, but when you enter there is a locked door. I know that there needs to be extra security to protect from wicked people but there is no opening from the inside. Instead a bloke who could have easily played a Gestapo minion came from outside the door with his huge breach loaded pistol un-clipped. He was so big that he dominated the whole vestibule and said that he had to open the door and then lock us in. This is the most insensitive and anti-Semitic building that I have seen since the "Berlin wall" in the occupied territories. When I declined to go in and my young Daughter said "Shh don't make trouble" I was taken back to Europe 100 years ago. I thought how much our people behave like they learned little from oppression but how to oppress. My family came here last century and the century before to escape men with guns locking them in because they were Jewish and yet the only place in Sydney where I have had it is in this place that is an insult to all of us with Jewish heritage, an insult to Australian values and an insult to all who value those who suffered under this kind of behaviour.

17  Thank Ben R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our family (mum, dad, teen boys 12 & 15) were visiting Sydney (from Melbourne) for the Vivid Light Festival and decided to see the Anne Frank exhibition, temporarily visiting the Sydney Jewish Museum. Our older son had read 'Elli: Coming of Age in the Holocaust" in Yr 10 at school and I felt he (and we) - would find the exhibition interesting and very informative.
Being non-religious (agnostic at best) and definitely not Jewish, I felt slightly awed at entering the Museum, a small multi-level building, passing through their security and not being quite sure of what to expect. Though sombre in atmosphere (as you would expect), this is an excellent museum with very good facilities and expertly maintained. The Ann Frank exhibition was smaller than we expected - in one large-ish partitioned room with very few exhibits, apart from a very informative timeline that ran around the walls of the room with many photos of Anne Frank and her family and Nazi Germany in general.
Regretfully, we ran out of time to view the main areas of the museum, I would dearly loved to have perused at my leisure as the information and items on display were so well displayed and of great interest to anyone wanting further knowledge of Jewish persecution and their history.
Faciilties such as a small café, a well-stocked giftshop, toilets and lifts were very good.

1  Thank Bron R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

What a moving experience, the drawings and stories to match are incredible, describing the life in the early years of Harry Fransman.
Meeting Harry and Lotte Weiss was a highlight we didn't expect, spent a considerable amount of time exploring the museum taking in all the stories and history. Well worth the visit.