“Continuous card shuffling machines-Unfavorable for blackjack players!”
Review of The Star Sydney

Ranked #107 of 475 things to do in Sydney
Miami, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Continuous card shuffling machines—Unfavorable for blackjack players!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I were on vacation in Sydney back in February. I checked out the Star Casino, with the idea that I might play a little blackjack. However, as soon as I saw that they use continuous shuffling machines, I walked out without placing a single bet. I am not a card counter, but I know enough to know that, when a lot of small cards fall during a particular hand, the player’s odds of getting a better hand are slightly improved on the next deal. Conversely, when a lot of 10s fall during one hand, the player’s chances are not as good on the next deal. This bit of information, coupled with knowledge of basic strategy, means that I am playing close to even with the casino when I play blackjack—at least when they follow Las Vegas rules and perform manual shuffling. Casinos use continuous shufflers to ensure that this tiny advantage is taken away and that the player will have no fighting chance against the house. In the case of continuous shufflers, there is no way to know how often the shuffling takes place. It could be done continuously, casino denials notwithstanding. The numerous oddball blackjack rules invented recently by certain casinos only obfuscate the game and do nothing to improve the player’s chances of winning. If you want to play blackjack, avoid this casino. Note: This review is the same as my review of the Sky City Casino in Auckland.

Visited February 2014

Canberra, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Tired Room”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

visited the stars and found the room rather tired and expensive. staff where good but it was an effort. the darling is my preference If staying at the casino precinct.

1 Thank steveF0085
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Many times better than the Casinos in Brisbane and the Gold Coast ”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

When I went here most of The Stars renovations had been completed and I thought the building was stunning. The staff were also very helpful and friendly they helped us to find locations we were struggling to find. I loved the Rock Lilly tequila bar and we had selection of delicious cocktails there.

All in all we had a lovely night also if your budget allows I would strongly suggest getting dinner at Black by Ezard at The Star it is well worth every cent.

Hoppers Crossing
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“great place to visit”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Visited from Melbourne and found that it compared favourably with Crown for the average punter with many great machine to play

Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“It's OK”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I find this is more of a fancy "sports club" than a glamourous casino. It really could do with better eating outlets than a "food court". Easy to get to with the light rail and is still entertaining to go to. Not much on during the week though.

Visited May 2013