“All the staff make this place”

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Ranked #56 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“All the staff make this place”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights for a conference in late May 2014. The rooms are clean and comfortable, though a little bit of touching up of scuff marks on the walls and the furniture wouldn't go astray in a Sydney CBD hotel that charges like it does. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and well stocked and I was fortunate to have a small balcony off my room.

Being in the city, you do, unfortunately, experience some noise from adjacent venues, even on a Thursday night. And, there were 1 or 2 noisy neighbours wandering the corridors of the hotel late at night, but that can happen in even the best hotel, so that's not really a Rydges issue. And, it wasn't for long.

The buffet breakfast that was part of the tariff would appeal to most tastes, though the hot selection should actually be hot, rather than the lukewarm that it was on both of the days I went down for breakfast. In saying that, there was plenty of choice.

My biggest gripe is in relation to the parking. There is no dedicated forecourt for this hotel, so if you can't manage to find a parking spot out the front, you need to double park in Pitt Street to unload your car. There is a dedicated Loading Bay outside the front door, but it would only fit 2 cars at most. The parking at $60 per day is pretty steep in my opinion.

The thing that really lifts this hotel are the staff. They were friendly and welcoming without being overbearing, in every part of the hotel - from front desk to wait staff to housekeeping. They were accommodating to requests such as late checkout and were always eager to be of assistance. I particularly liked the fact that the kitchen staff were able to work around my allergy during the morning and afternoon tea breaks and ducked back into the kitchen to bring me a special order treat. For them, it was no trouble, and all done with a smile. Whatever Rydges' procedures are in terms of team training and the way their staff are expected to deal with the public, it works really well.

I'd be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a balcony room - it's great to not be air conditioned all the time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear DJR68,
Thank you for taking the time to give me a very informative feedback.
First of all I would like to apologise for the issue regarding the breakfast and your comments have been passed onto our Executive chef to ensure that it does not occur in futire.
Parking get get a bit hectic at busy times on Pitt street however, our concierge team are always at the entrance to assist guests with parking and luggage as they arrive.
I was very pleased to hear that our attentive staff members attended to your speacial dietry requirements.
Once gain, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will welcome you back soon.

Ali Ulus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

we've stayed here many times. The levels of customer service have increased significantly. The rooms are spacious and the property is handy to everything in CDB. The bar for relaxing drinks or snacks is handy. Couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi ozfarmer,
It is great to hear that you have noticed and also enjoyed the great customer service that we achieve.
It is always pleasing to hear from our regular guests and thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Rydges are generally reasonable hotels and I am happy to stay in them. This hotel was centrally located in Sydney - but I was staying here for business and the venue was the hotel itself.

A little disconcerting to be dropped off by the taxi at one of the two entrances, particularly the entrance that was closed and no clue which direction to walk to get to the entrance that was open. I arrived late on a Friday night and the area was very busy. Asked for a quiet room and got one on the 8th floor that overlooked the main square where lots of people were eating and drinking at the local venues - in other words NOT quiet at all.

I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Terrybelle1966,
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to you due to the entrance on Liverpool street being closed. We do have a notice that the doors on this side close at 9pm on a friday night with a clear instruction on how to enter from the main entrance which is about 30 metres away.
Once again I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Went to Sydney to visit friends and attend 2 day meeting. Good location and comfortable hotel. Food at breakfast was overcooked. My wife had dinner at the same Resturant and her food was also overcooked. Breakfast was not worth the amount charged. Do not pay for it and go outside

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Jarkins99,
I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding breakfast and the dinner. I have passed on your comments to the department managers concerned in an effort to overcome the issues.
Please accept my sincere apology for meeting your expectation.

Yours Sincerely
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in May which was a really good choice because Sydney's "Vivid" light show was on ( every year in may for a couple of weeks). Phew... So much to see, walking distance to it all ! Our room was a good size., didn't get made up most days until later in the day and a couple of times the mini bar and fridge weren't replenished...Plse leave a reasonable amount of tea/coffee/milk ! Not just a couple of satchets... The "Sphere" restaurant offered a good variety and most staff were very obliging, we encountered one staff member in the evening that was rather pushy and overbearing but overall a nice place. One thing though... The breakfast food on offer. ....All hot dishes were covered with heavy lids and for some obscure reason., the wooden place mats to put the lids on while you were placing food onto your plate., we're BEHIND the dishes so you had to reach to the back of the counter to put the lid down while you put something on your plate. These lids are heavy and too bad if you are short because you can't reach to the back of the servers . And nothing was labeled so you had to lift all the lids to see what was on offer. It was all made easy for the staff ! How odd, I have never come across that before. The hotel is beginning to look tired and our corridor wasn't vacuumed while we were there and it needed it but on saying that, our room was very comfortable and clean. The concierge and front of desk staff were exceptional , very friendly and knowledgable . I would stay here again and would recommend it. Sydney has a lot to offer and Rydges was a good place to stay to "see it all"

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be fine. The mattresses are bliss, as are the pillows. I would imagine that...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hi Dianne,
Thank you for your feedback and your suggestions. The points you have mentioned have been passed onto the appropriate departments.
Please accept my sinere apology for any inconvenience caused to you and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and your comments regarding your next stay.

Kiama, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

after an overnight flight, we were hoping to leave our bags and return to the hotel later, however our expectations were exceeded when we were offered a room at 9am! So good to shower and change before stepping out. The hotel was central to both Chinatown for lunch, and Circular Quay, an easy walk to the harbour for 'Vivid Sydney'. We chose Rydges for the 'Dream Beds', always guarantee a good nights sleep. Only slight negative , but we didnt really care - the bathroom was a little dated, needs new tiles & a freshen up. Otherwise good stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Lozmum,
That is a great stay, if we exceeded your expectations than our staff members are certainly doing doing it right.
I hope that you will return once again for a great stay.
Thank you for your comments.

Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A warm welcoming hotel, staff could not be more caring. Our room was ready at check in and we were assisted with parking our car.
What a great location for walking to the Chinese Garden of Friends, Darling Harbour, The Harbour Bridge and the Mall. So many places to visit and such a wide variety of restaurants in these areas a great place to holiday and enjoy a relaxing time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Aurora945,
I am delighted to hear that our staff were welcoming and that you also enjoyed our central location.