“Beware of Internet - Not reliable”

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Ranked #62 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Firstly the good - Great location, comfortable beds, good overall service.

Not so good - They offer free wifi, but unfortunately I found it did not work on both my personal and work mobile phone with common apps e.g. Email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Only internet I was able to access websites through the internet browser but that was it. Speed was very slow throughout, and and some times could not get websites to load at all. I asked about this at reception and they said this is something they are aware of.. but they don't have a fix for it. If you're a business traveller and need to access emails on your phone/tablet make sure you can do so via your web browser.

Also not so good - Stayed in an executive room, which they state is a larger room vs. Deluxe. Thought it was a standard sized room, so would hate to see how small the deluxe is. Rooms are dated, but haven't stayed in any other Sydney hotels to compare.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CashKiwi
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi CashKiwi,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you with the internet service which has now been resolved.
I would like to advise that we are about to start the refurbishment of our guest rooms and I am sure the new look rooms will meet with your approval on your next visit.

Ali Ulus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Checking into the World Square Sydney I was greeted with a friendly face that did all she could to make sure my stay was comfortable. I was upgraded without question to a very nice clean suite with all the comforts. The room was neat and well made up. The bathroom was a generous size with a deep bath. The hotel location is a short walk to Darling Harbour, Central Train station and China town! The hotel "square bar" and "Sphere restaurant" offer service and hospitality equal to the best in Sydney, prices are reasonable and the food is wonderful with a great selection of wine and beers. They offer a great rewards scheme in priority guest, with savings on accommodation, food and drinks! I have stayed with the Rydges & QT chain over 5 states and know exactly what I'm getting! Sydney world Square is no exception to excellence, and I fully recommend the hotel as a great comfortable place to stay, with fantastic staff that help as much as possible to assure a satisfying stay. I will choose to stay there for my Sydney visits! I can honestly say this review is based upon my true experience when staying at World Square. Stuart.

Room Tip: Talk with the staff about your stay, they will try their best to cater for your needs if it is possi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Stu C,
Thank you for such a great feedback. Above all It is great to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of our services. I am very pleased to hear that you are a member of our Priority Guest Rewards program and enjoy all the added benefits.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Location is the best thing about the hotel which seems well overdue for an upgrade. Accommodation and restaurant is not up to the same level as Wellington or the new Christchurch Rydges that rate significantly higher. Buffet breakfast very bland and worth missing.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Jwalk007,
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation on your recent visit. I would like to advise that our refurbishment will begin shortly and I hope that the new decor will meet with your approval next time you visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Rydges is a great option in this price bracket in this central part of Sydney. The rooms have a bit of style and are cosy and pretty. The staff are really helpful. It is big enough that they can deal with all your concerns. Nice breakfast too!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Amanda G,
I am pleased to hear that youy enjoyed all aspects of our hotel on your recent visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Located in a very busy part of town, entrance is quite small from the street so parking can be a challenge as you must offload ON THE STREET and then hand the keys over for valet parking. If there are coaches present, then good luck!

Polite and helpful staff.

Rooms are clean and functional, not spectacular, but value for money compared with the more central hotels. Rooms are usually available so very reliable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hi Nick W,
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I would like to inform you that there is no need to offload luggage yourself, please keep in mind for your next visit just to hand over the keys of your vehicle to our concierge and they will take care of luggage and parking of your vehicle.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a work trip as company has a contract with Rydges. As a Rydges priority guest member, I was welcomed to the hotel well and my special requests such as high floor request was taken care off.

I was given nice room on 20th floor and it was nice spacious room. Room had nice dream bed and with everything that you need a room. Because hotel is located in the middle of the city, there is not much views from the room.

Hotel is located in world square area which is close to lot of attractions, shops and restaurants. Hotel provides valet parking service which I absolutely loved it and it was convenient. When I first got there at the hotel, valet parking stag were not very attentive and had to wait where staff member didn't acknowledged that I am in front of the hotel wanting my car to be parked. However, throughout my stay and at check out concierge staff were great and I was greeted every time I got to in front of the hotel and when I left.

Hotel also has a restaurant which provides buffet breakfast which I thought was bit disorganized as for some of the items there was no labeling to what they were. When you get to the counter, staff asked that you can seat anywhere but doesn't explains where things are like any other buffet restaurant would do. Good quality was ok.

Otherwise the stay was wonderful and no doubt I will be staying here for work trips. In fact, I'm coming back next week.

Stayed: June 2014
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Luxurious88,
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. It is pleasing to hear that we met your expectation on your recent stay and that you will be returning once again.
I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast to our executive Chef for follow up and action.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

ALi Ulus

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed there for 1 night while in Sydney earlier this month. The rate wasn't cheap but we just wanted to be close to our family. We could have paid a little bit more and stayed at the Hilton or Sheraton! The room and bathroom were old and small. Concierge was super friendly though and the check in and check out was efficient which was good. But some renovation is definitely needed!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear HKLouise,
I would like to advise you that we are about to begin the refurbishment of our guest rooms and I hope on your next visit our new look rooms will meet with you approval.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback.