“Would have been better with non-leaky air con and minus the cockroach”
Review of City Crown Motel

City Crown Motel
Ranked #155 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
Canberra, Australia
“Would have been better with non-leaky air con and minus the cockroach”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

To be honest, I was pleased with this motel on first impressions. The owner is helpful and friendly, the location is fantastic, the cafe does superb food and coffee. Yes, the room is a little old and 'worn', but then, as long as it's clean and comfortable, that is fine. But that was the problem. On getting back from a gig in the evening I found a big cockroach had decided to move in. I decided to just live with it as I was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep. It had been a warm day, so I put on the air con to cool the room down a little. A few minutes later I hear a rush of water and, on turning the light back on, found that the air con was leaking... a lot. I went down to get the night watchman. He did come to my room with a can of bug spray and he did place the bin under the air con, but that was it. I got to spend the rest of the evening hearing the air con drip away and keeping an eye out for the cockroach (I ended up 'sleeping' with the light on both nights I was there - I don't like cockroaches). I told the owner the next day and she apologised, giving me a complimentary breakfast at the cafe. I suppose that was some compensation, but I am afraid not enough to make me stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Andi_L255057

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The central location and the chap on reception were nice but that is it as far as good comments.
My room smelt very weird (almost overpowering) and when i arrived at the airport my suitcase still smelt of the room. The room itself looked relatively clean on the surface but was still felt dirty and you wouldn't want to sit on anything. The WIFI wouldn't work in my room at all and i was told that its because my laptop is too new (total rubbish). This is most likely one of the excuses when anyone complains.
I never normally consider writing a review as most places are either ok or good however i felt i had to after staying there.
Basic and dated would be nice.
It is one of the worst places i have ever stayed in,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 221MikeM

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This little motel was perfect for my needs. I stayed here to attend a conference. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, shower hot and the TV great! It didn't bother me that my room did not have a view as I was only in the room to sleep. I was able to walk at night very close to the hotel to get a brilliant dinner and a late night coffee (which was great tasting, I might add). During the day I was able to go for a pleasant stroll and found an awesome park and brilliant shops! The staff could not be more helpful and warm. There were an abundance of free DVDs and great free wifi.
The hotel is old and the walls to the rooms thin so you hear what is going on outside BUT if you sleep well then don't let this deter you from all the positives surrounding this motel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate O
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 24 January 2012

we didn't book accomodation for our Sydney trip and we were desperate to find a room for a few days. everything seemed to be full but then luckly we found this motel. not extremely central but very close to Oxford st. it was clean, comfortable and the staff was very friendly. also attached to the building there is a beautiful caffee where you can get a great breakfast. i would reccomend this anyone and i cant wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My partner and I have stayed here twice now, once for a night and most recently for four nights.

The booking process was easy. Check in was quick and hassle free, and the motel staff were always friendly and helpful.

The room was very basic and dated, but at $140 a night you can't go wrong. The room was clean, spacious enough and the location unbeatable. The pillows were a little hard though resulting in a sore neck on a few occasions (if I have to be fussy).

The cafe downstairs was lovely, and the reception desk have a wide range of DVDs you can take free of charge.

Overall, if you are after basic accommodation in an amazing location, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank JasonSyd1
Central Coast
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Had to find accommodation for 7 close to SFS and city and found this gem. Clean, comfortable beds, very quiet, fabulous cafe out front and very friendly staff. Would recommend to all.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank fstech
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in a double room with a balcony. We arrived late at night and the guy at reception was very nice and friendly. Our room was good it had a big bed and tv but the bathroom had a leek in the roof quite badly too. The balcony area was amazing, in the morning we looked down on queen street and the courtyard area where the motel also has a cafe and it was very busy with people having there breakfast that looked delicious. All the autumn trees were beautiful aswell. On the first night we had a bit of a problem with dvd player (as you can watch as many as you want from the collection at reception) and the guy kindly came and got us a new one at midnight. It's in such a nice area surrounded by cool restaurants and shops. It's very clean. We loved our weekend in Sydney.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple