“Avoid at all costs, terrible place to stay!”
Review of City Crown Motel

City Crown Motel
Ranked #161 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Avoid at all costs, terrible place to stay!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We arrvied at the motel to stay 5 nights over new year. We had booked the family room as there was a group of 5 friends coming and we wanted a kitchen. When we checked into the room, it had an awful smell coming from the kitchen which just would not go, had no windows and overall was really dirty. After one night we asked for it to be clean and to get rid of the smell, the room was barley cleaned and we returned to all our toothbrushes covered in bugs from the cobwebs being cleaned. The smell still lingered, you were unable to go into the kitchen it was that bad.
We were then put into 2 different rooms and although a bit nicer, still dirty. We had to request a microwave and toaster after buying food to cook and now not being able to cook it. They did not seem to happy with this. We had lots of unexpected guests inlcuding cockroaches (many of them!) and lots of ants! After chasing down the manager for 4 days we got a refund for the first night and the inconvenience, but I recommend to not stay here! Awfull and we will NOT be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jemma C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Have just had 4 nights at this very basic motel. Whilst I say basic, and I mean basic I have given them a 4 because it is in a fantastic location, it is quiet, the beds are comfy and the staff are friendly, it is reasonably priced and really just ideal for a base. My dad was in St Vincents Hospital so it was perfect for us being just a brief walk away.

There is a great cafe as part of the complex, an even better one next door and an abundance of wine bars, pubs, cafes and cool shops all within walking distance. The city is an easy walk away and the buses also near by.

Sure it could do with a really good make over but if you are willing to compromise fancy for reliable, reasonable rates and location then this is perfect. There is also secure parking underneath and a reliable shuttle service for just $14 to the airport available,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AusNZ
Bungendore, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have been staying here for over eight years and I thought it was time to write a review.

We go up to Sydney to go to the footy and go out at night, as well as the occasional performance and a bit of walking (working our way round the harbour). The motel is perfectly located, on the edge of Darlinghurst and Surry Hills, so you can walk to the SCG and SFS, Kings Cross, the bars of Oxford Street, Paddington and the CBD. Central Station is close but it's a fairly steep walk back up. this does make it noisy in the neighbourhood until quite late.

Car parking is limited but secure under the motel; you need to book in advance for a car space.

The owners and their staff are great. It's a hectic family-run business, so the owners are occasionally a little stressed/frazzled.

Ensuite shower, toilet and vanity, with soap and shampoo supplied.

Rooms are serviced daily except Sundays (the busiest turnover day) but if you want fresh towels or more toilet roll you only need to ask.

Aircons and TVs have all recently been changed, as far as we can tell; we haven't stayed in *every* room yet.

Staff on site 24 hours, so you can always check in.

The rooms are definitely on the basic side and storage space is limited, but we've always found the beds comfortable, the facilities serviceable and the room clean.

The only time the room wasn't spotless was when I found myself unexpectedly stuck in Sydney one evening. I called to check and the last room had gone, but was called back to be told that some members of a larger group had gone and the rest had asked to downsize. The duty manager tidied the room and changed the bed. I was so grateful!

No stairs, three floors plus car park basement, stairs up to reception/ground floor.

Great cafe attached.

Room Tip: Rooms face front/east (Crown Street - noisy with people passing by till late), side/north (Reservoir...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ConradHC
southern highlands
Reviewed 5 June 2012

my partner and i arrived the office looked in poor condition, once we got to our room the key wouldn't open the door we had the force it open. once inside we found the roof was falling apart, the shower tiles had cracks all over them,, the room smelt, the ledge outside looked unsafe, there were insects. after having a look at the room we decided not to stay. we went down stairs and asked for our money back we were told to come back later. when we came back later the guy at the office told us that the other person already gave our money back, and that we only went up there for a 'quicky' (5 mins really). he also claimed we used the shower and the bed (not true).
would not suggest this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fly_angel93

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Pollock Pines, California
Reviewed 20 April 2012

as if having a fabulous location, a really nice little room, and friendly and helpful staff wasn't enough... Chris, the owner, stepped in when our bags were lost and saved our trip. She made phone calls to the airlines and the baggage handlers and our bags were returned. We loved out time in Sydney and loved the City Crown!
The cafe would have been a nice cafe even if it wasn't attached to the motel.

Room Tip: Our room had a little patio which was great, we enjoyed a snack with wine in the afternoon.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GaelB241
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

To be honest, I was pleased with this motel on first impressions. The owner is helpful and friendly, the location is fantastic, the cafe does superb food and coffee. Yes, the room is a little old and 'worn', but then, as long as it's clean and comfortable, that is fine. But that was the problem. On getting back from a gig in the evening I found a big cockroach had decided to move in. I decided to just live with it as I was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep. It had been a warm day, so I put on the air con to cool the room down a little. A few minutes later I hear a rush of water and, on turning the light back on, found that the air con was leaking... a lot. I went down to get the night watchman. He did come to my room with a can of bug spray and he did place the bin under the air con, but that was it. I got to spend the rest of the evening hearing the air con drip away and keeping an eye out for the cockroach (I ended up 'sleeping' with the light on both nights I was there - I don't like cockroaches). I told the owner the next day and she apologised, giving me a complimentary breakfast at the cafe. I suppose that was some compensation, but I am afraid not enough to make me stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Andi_L255057
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The central location and the chap on reception were nice but that is it as far as good comments.
My room smelt very weird (almost overpowering) and when i arrived at the airport my suitcase still smelt of the room. The room itself looked relatively clean on the surface but was still felt dirty and you wouldn't want to sit on anything. The WIFI wouldn't work in my room at all and i was told that its because my laptop is too new (total rubbish). This is most likely one of the excuses when anyone complains.
I never normally consider writing a review as most places are either ok or good however i felt i had to after staying there.
Basic and dated would be nice.
It is one of the worst places i have ever stayed in,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo