“lovely place”

Castlereagh Boutique Hotel
Ranked #94 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The room we had was very small. It was hard to place two suitcases in it and open them. But still I enjoyed the hotel. It was lovely old hotel. But everything was good quality. It just had this old atmosphere which I loved. Located right in the city centre. Very close to the train station from where you can get to the airport. Longer but walking distance to the Sydney Harbour and Opera House. I recommend that place. Really cute one.

4  Thank Mmm18
There are newer reviews for Castlereagh Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Awful does not begin to describe the night we had here last night. This is the first time a bad place has actually been so bad I feel like I need to warn other travellers.
At 2:30am we moved rooms twice from unbearable noise best described as having a construction work use a hammer drill on your head. When we complained to reception we were first told it was indeed a construction worker being that it was 2:30am we very much doubted this. We were moved to a slightly smaller slightly less noisy room a floor up, comparable now to a dentist drill in your ear but still not anything that would allow any sleep. From here my partner complained this time and was offered a room another floor up on other side and finally we had a room with just a low dull noise however now our room is the size of a shoe box. Seriously the reviews about the smallest room ever were completely right. Given that we had paid for queen room this room was no less then half the size of our first and given that my partner is 6ft 2 the bed significantly smaller.
This room was clean and less noisy but that is where my praise fort his place ends. This hotel would be perfect fort hose on a bucks weekend who won't sleep or who may just be capable of passing out. The location is fine but earplugs just won't cut it I'm afraid.

We are due to be in a bridal party in a few hours and despite getting to bed nice and early we have not slept more then 3 hours but hey they have photoshop don't they?

Room Tip: Ask to see room before you pay a cent and definitely read a variety of reviews. Seriously regret not...
1  Thank Kate F
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I'm surprised to read the other reviewers' comments about the rooms and staff. Ours was perfectly ok - standard size room for this type of hotel. We had a spacious, spotlessly clean bathroom with plenty of hot water. The staff were without exception all friendly and helpful. One cleaner offered to help me with my bag when we were looking for our room. Their was plenty of choice at breakfast which was a good rate compared to most hotels. The location was excellent. It was a 3 minute walk to Hyde Park which led onto the Botanical Gardens, so we had a lovely walk down to the harbour area every time we headed that way. In the other direction it was about a 15 minute walk to Darling Harbour where there were some great restaurants and a firework display on a Saturday night. All in all, we thought the Castlereagh was very good value for central Sydney.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I thought I would book a nice 4 star hotel for the last leg of our holiday and go out in style!
How disappointing......
The lobby area is magnificent, but when you see the standard double room my heart sank. We had two cases and a couple of bags. One had to go on the table the others on the floor, which meant jumping over it each time as that took up the space between the wall and bed. There was about a 12 inch gap between the end of the bed and the toilet sliding door. I must have banged my leg 3 or 4 times trying to negotiate around the room.
The toilet has a sliding door that doesn't fit very well. Come in main door and you can see if anyone is in there. The door also had a habit of coming off it's runner and locking you in.
We fancied a cup of tea and tried to find a plug for the kettle? We ended up with the kettle on the floor as this was the only place it could be plugged in.
I complained about the issues and they gave me keys to 2 other rooms. They were identical, so it wasn't like I had just been given "the duff room".
If you take a look at the web site it all looks wonderful, but note that there are no pictures for a standard double room.... No wonder.

Room Tip: Do not pick a Standard Double room. Can't swing a cat.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimulationTR
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Positive things first: great location in the heart of the CBD. Rates are very reasonable given location. Across the road you would spend $700 per night. Decor very Edwardian and beautiful if you are into old hotels and museums especially if you are a Mason and this is the Mason's lodge!
Negative things: Staff need to go to the same smile school the flight attendants go to.
The restaurtant is magnificent to look at if you are lucky enough to get in without there being hords of attendies for some function. The food is mediocre but there are fantastic restaurants just outside the front door.
Now the very negative: The rooms are little more than a broom cupboard and Fawlty has ensured you cannot look out of the windows which are welded shut and opaque.
I would be lucky to wash my daugter's pet mouse in the shower, there is virtually no stream of water and the it takes ages to respond to the taps commands, almost like there is someone in the dungeon reading a print out of what water temperature you would like then adjusting the boiler but not very effecively.
Good for shopping or business in the CBD, and soft on the wallet but try and avoid sleeping there too often or showering and probably best not to try engage the staff with any converstion or requests and avoid food and drink there.

Room Tip: Ask about size of rooms and windows
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The hotel is within walking distance of most of the places one would want to visit in the city centre, so perfect in that respect. It is also an historic building with a great deal of character and charm. But, while the public areas seem to have been well maintained and are quite impressive, our room (assuming it was typical) was somewhat disappointing. The vomit-inducing 1980s mustard yellow paint suggested the room hadn't had a facelift in a couple of decades and the room was cramped, with no drawer space to put clothes. However, the bed was comfortable, and the shower hot with good water flow, so we can't complain too much for the price. Staff were very helpful and friendly too, which is a big plus. Overall, reasonably good for the price, but certainly not 4 star.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The pluses are that it's a good location and a relatively cheap price. The check in staff were pleasant and the room was very clean. However, you definitely get what you pay for. My room was tiny. I could barely fit between the base of the bed and the wall. The very small bathroom is behind a dated sliding door and the bathroom fixtures are also dated and the paint work is chipped. The lifts are in an "original" condition and very slow. I don't think it's a four star hotel..I stayed in better 3 star hotels in Vietnam!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business