“Satisfactory”

Ranked #93 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Satisfactory”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Perhaps that description under-rates the hotel, which I would describe as good, but TripAdvisor only has a very good category and I wouldn't be that generous!

Certainly the hotel is very popular, judging from the number of people always moving through reception and checking in/out. It has an extremely good location being within walking distance of many of the city attractions including Circular Quay, the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour and the main shopping centre. It is also just a short walk to Wynyard Station, providing easy access to the rail network and especially the Syndey airports.

We stayed for 6 nights over the New Year period in what was classed an executive room. My wife thought it was OK but I felt it fell short of what I have come to expect of this category of room. Some of the furnishings seemed to be rather dated, the sliding wooden window blinds (which replaced curtains and were rather stiff to move) appeared odd, and the bathroom was extremely small. Although serviced daily toiletries weren't always replaced when they ran out. No free wifi access in the room fell short of what I have experienced in other rooms of this category.

Overall satisfactory but probably not somewhere I would put at the top of my list to return to.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear John R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Travelodge. I appreciate your genuine assessment of your stay with us and the team and I are truly grateful for the feedback. I am sorry that we fell short in some areas and hope that this did not detract too much from your time with us in Sydney. I am working feverishly to have the WIFI rolled out this year and hope to have some positive news for our guests in the following weeks in relation to an installation date. We hope to see you again and show you what we are capable of.

Sean McKinnon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is situated within easy walking of many of Sydney's tourists attractions - especially the Opera House,Circular Quay,harbour bridge,the rocks etc. The location therefor could not be better.
It is very easy to get to. Just take the city train from the airport to Wynyard Station (change at Central) take the York Street exit and you will see the hotel 50m to your left.
Rooms are a decent size,with a king size bed,a round table with two chairs,safe and fridge. The bathrooms are however a little small and dated. The only free wi available is in the lobby and for 1/2 hour a day. This seems pretty standard in Australia.
There are a number of good restaurants in the vicinity.
This is a very good choice for first time visitors to Sydney.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter_sue20
Dear peter_sue20,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights over new year! It cost us a fortune with it being NYE, I wouldn't have normally paid that much as it is literally just a travelodge! On arrival the staff were quite rude, they checked us in and off we went to our room! We were pretty tired from flying and ready for a lie down! However our key would not open the door! When we went down to reception one of the staff came up and still could not unlock our door! We were waiting a good 20minutes before we could get in! However no apology or anything complimentary!! Wifi is very expensive!!! You get 30mins free, however it was down most of the time!!!

The best morning for breakfast we said our room number, the staff said that breakfast wasn't included in our stay! However we had it in black and white that we had paid for it!! Eventually we got breakfast, however the bowls were dirty, if you were lucky to find one! Same breakfast each morning which was very boring! The room was okay, not the cleanest bathroom! The only real good thing is the location!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James C
Dear James C,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. Please accept me apologies for the short falls in both service and maintenance. I appreciate you highlighting these points with me so that I can she with the team and improve the overall service standards of the property. I trust that all in all you had a great New Year in Sydney and we wish you all the very best for the year ahead.

Sean McKinnon

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here 3month ago.
I had lots of requests for my staying, and emaild them.
They were happy to follow my serveral requests, and those makes my staying very compy.
Staff were so kind , they always keep smile during duties.

lLocation is also very nice. It located just next to quey!

But, I found some bugs in their baggage room.
It needs to be clean perfectly.
Also breakfast was...just simply.
I was enough for my BF, but it was not reasonable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Charlish_Charlotte
Dear Springleejh,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that our team was helpful and supportive both in the lead up and during your stay. Thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of our storage room and some inconsistencies with our breakfast; this is valuable feedback which we can act upon swiftly.

Canberra
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel is in a convenient location, and the rooms are spacious and comfy. But the service is very poor. For example, I asked a staff member at the front counter what time the gym would open the next day, to which he simply replied "I don't know", and made no effort to follow it up. Also, when I checked into our room at about 3pm, there was another room just in front of the lifts with dirty plates and cups out front on the floor waiting to be picked up. When I left for work the next day at around 8:15am, they were still waiting to be collected. The lack of free wifi in the rooms was also disappointing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ryan46
Dear Ryan46,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the confusion in relation to the gym opening hours. Our team have been briefed and I feel confident that all team members are now aware of the correct operating hours (Open from 630am – 1030pm daily). I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and our location and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back and show you what we are truly capable of.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this Hotel. It is clean, comfortable, fridge in room, tea, coffee and milk left for you too. Little toiletries, fluffy towels, efficient room cleaning! The reception staff are welcoming and helpful. Breakfast good and while I was there another guest took the time to thank Chef before she left. I can't think of a better recommendation than that. The Hotel is perfectly located for opera house, rocks area or shopping at QVB area bad Darling Harbour. If you don't want to buy internet go buy a coffee at Starbucks across street and get a code, stop whinging! Thanks all at Travelodge for a great stay, I loved it!,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Bernadette K,

Thank you for the kind words in relation to the hotel and the team. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we wish you safe travels and hope to see you again in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

This is a great base to explore Sydney and all it offers. We were out most of the time but this hotel offers a fantastic location for all the major places to visit, it's safe, clean, comfy beds and travel to and from the airport is so convenient due to wynyard station almost next door and the $14 shuttle bus in offer. I celebrated my $40 this tear and the trip was a gift to celebrate and we received a beautiful bottle of wine to the room which was a kind thought and lovely touch. I would have no hesitation on returning to this hotel or recommending to others for value and location alone. Sydney was a blast!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Boyllba

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you had a fantastic Birthday and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.