“Very Enjoyable”

Ranked #18 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Grace is in a lovely old building that was the headquarters of Grace Brothers department store. Its now owned by a Malaysian company who have converted it to a lovely hotel . Our Wotif deal was $149 per night for 2 including buffet breakfast. We stayed for a week and didn't want to leave Our room was huge, well appointed, with dark curtains and mostly very quiet. The staff were all pleasant and very attentive, especially the Breakfast Chefs (eggs cooked to order) and the Concierges. We had 2 nights of room-service meals which were excellent quality and value, and arrived promptly with a smile!!
The hotel is right in the CBD, within easy walking distance of many attractions
About the only let-down was the ordinary coffee from the self-service coffee machines in the breakfast restaurant

Room Tip: Rooms facing inwards are very quiet, but have no real view. Rooms facing the streets have better vie...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First impressions are lasting impressions. The first impression was the lovely smile of welcome from the reception staff. The second impression was the standard of service, the staff member was extremely helpful in reorganising my accommodation. I was booked in for a Saturday and I arrived on a Sunday. (Not my mistake, My company's mistake).This standard was evident for the four days that I stayed here.
My room on the eighth floor was clean with leather furniture. The bathroom clean and tidy. Breakfast was catered for all tastes and was complimentary. Dinner likewise and affordable.
This is an old but beautiful refurbished building built in 1924 and sold to a Malaysian owner in 1999. It is situated middle CBD and only 5 minutes walk to Darling Harbour or if shopping is your thing then 2 minutes walk to George street and you can shop to your hearts content. Would I stay here again...... Yes I would, would I recommend this hotel ...... Yes I would.

Brisbane
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The Grace Hotel is a lovely hotel. We got a great deal - $149 per night with buffet breakfast for 2 on Wotif. It was my Mum's birthday and the hotel was lovely enough to upgrade her room. It was a huge room with bath and desk. My sister and I had the standard twin which was still very nice. Yes, there are some furniture pieces showing their age but everything was clean and well presented. Unfortunately, the rooms are not sound proof and we were awoken at 2am by our neighbours engaging in a "vigorous session"!

The location was great. Very close to Darling Harbour and the mall. You can easily walk straight down to the rocks. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes around. Concierge are really helpfully and will give you a map and mark where you need to go.

Breakfast was good. Plenty of choice. Cereal, fruits, breads, hot food etc. No complaints. Get breakfast included in your rate, as I don't think it's worth the $35 they charge (like most overpriced hotel breakfasts).

We also had the seafood buffet one night for dinner. The price is right - $39 for hotel guests which includes a free wine. It's in the same place as breakfast on Level 2 and for dinner it just lacks atmosphere. The prawns were ok and hard to peel, I suspect they were frozen. The only hot meat was roast beef. The food was average. I wouldn't recommend it.

Overall, the Grace is a lovely hotel in a great location. If you can get a good deal, it can also be great value. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NicoleBrisbane
Werrington NSW
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We were kindly treated, by our children, to a '10 room' overnight stay - this is a choice of one room from a selection of luxurious options. Upon booking in we were assigned a Guest Relations Manager who took us to our room and described the use of all the conveniences such as the coffee machine, internet access etc.
Full buffet breakfast and late (2pm) checkout were included in this package - we felt this was the main bonus, not having to rush our departure.
We didn't have a special view from our hotel room (looked over city buildings) but the location to our points of interest (State Theatre, QVB and city department stores) was the best. We were within walking distance of Town Hall and Wynyard, with a 'good' walk to Circular Quay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue G
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed at the Grace from Sunday 19th to Friday 24th May for a work conference!
The room was first class with a comfortable bed and room to move and well positioned only minutes from Darling Harbour and other major shops and attractions.
I will stay again.
Thanks,
Mike

Room Tip: All rooms were of good standard.
1 Thank MikeK157166
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 May 2013

What a nightmare. I have booked a room, had a confirmation number, with 2 month advance, as a part of a small group (8 rooms). The afternoon of the arrival day, someone of my group called the hotel to double check the reservations and no room was booked under my name. They simply decided to cancel the reservation, as I did the reservation personally and not from the group leader. And my confirmation number? "It was available before the cancellation". But who request the cancellation? "Nobody, we decided". OK, the hotel is fullybooked, now you have to find me an alternative accommodation. "It is not our problem". It is not your problem? Finally when I arrived at the hotel I have found a duty manager who connected his brain that day, apologise for the mistake and gave me a room. The hotel staff in general is under standard for an international 4 stars, nobody help you because they always are too busy to do something else. One exception: the concierge is excellent. The buffet breakfast is fine for 22 AUD, but the majority staff must change job. The rooms are large and comfortable: nothing up-scale, mostly like a airport hotel, but fine if you travel for business. Location also is fine, central Sydney, not far from the harbour.
At the check out another history regarding the incompetence of the reservations department: a colleague asks to prepay one month in advance with his company card as he want to avoid to have the credit card blocked after a two weeks travel. The reservations confirmed that all was fine, but finally they didn't charge anything and, as expected, at the checkout the card was blocked for such an high amount.
After a couple of years I have found an hotel which still charge 25 AUD for wifi. I thought that was extincted.
I don't suggest to anybody to stay here, unless you don't find any other hotel available in town (which happens quite often in week days).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Van_Den_Budenmayer
TheGraceHotelSydney, Guest Relations Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Van_Den_Budenmayer,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our hotel.

I am very disappointed to read the experience that you have encountered during your stay with us. In order for us to review and improve our current procedures and customer service provided, I have sent you a direct message to get more information on your past booking.

I do look forward to your replies soon.

Christina Mendieta
Guest Relations Manager
Reviewed 24 May 2013

A brief stroll from town Hall station via the Queen Vic shopping arcade, leave the hustle of the city behind and enjoy the luxury of yesteryear in this historic building. History surrounds you as you enjoy a plush comfortable room . Spend time at the spa or enjoy a seafood buffet feast. Wish I was travelling with somebody special to share this . Great location, friendly staff and excellent service.

1 Thank A J
Dear A J,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and writing a review on TripAdvisor.

It is great to know that you have had a lovely stay with us and the opportunity to enjoy the Seafood Buffet at the Grace Brasserie.

The Grace Hotel is a heritage listed building with full of history and there is a display near the Guests Lifts are which are very interesting and informative.

Once again thank you for your review, we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards,