“Nice place to stay”

The Grace Hotel Sydney
Ranked #21 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Location: really well located in the city. Perfect for a run around the harbour!
Food: great selection (including vegetarian) in the buffet though some dishes were a bit bland. Coffee machines available at breakfast
Room: nice
Service: friendly
WIFI: only if you pay...

Could improve: WIFI should be free like running hot water...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Grace is a lovely vintage hotel in a great location in downtown Sydney. My husband and I stayed 5 nights here and really enjoyed the facilities and our room, which was very clean and comfortable. We were surprised at the cost of the internet, but it seems that it is not commonly included in hotel costs in Australia. We refused to pay the cost, but we were able to go to a nice coffee shop (Gloria Jean's) with free wifi and also the Apple Store around the corner. The concierges were all especially friendly and helpful in the lobby, with always a kind greeting and a joke as we walked in. The reception staff were quite different though, since they seemed overly business like and unfriendly. My husband wanted to check into the room before I arrived, but they would not let him in because I had made the reservation. Even after showing his ID, he was not allowed in. Good security I guess, but it took two long distance calls from me before they would allow him access. And after all that, they did not give him the VERY important message that I asked them to relay. The reception staff fell short of my expectations for this hotel. Another the hotel could do to improve, is to have recycling containers in the rooms, at the very least for paper items. They claim to be a "green" hotel, but I had to take my paper down to the front desk for recycling. Of course, they take it and put it under the desk, but did not answer my question about whether or not the hotel recycles. Despite these frustrations, the hotel was still a pleasant place to stay. I loved the old fashioned surroundings and the friendly service from the concierges.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear faithfulone,

I was pleased to read your feedback and that you were overall satisfied with the hotel facilities and service.

For the safety and security of all guests, our Reception staff do have strict procedures that must be followed in relation to allowing non registered guests access to hotel rooms. I am glad that after communicating with you that our team were able to allow your husband access to your room. Please accept my sincere apologies for any unintended inconvenience on this occasion.

The Grace Hotel has a comprehensive recycling program in place. For practical reasons, the recycling containers for paper and glass are not placed into every room but are instead located in the service area on each floor. As part of our daily room servicing process, Housekeeping staff separate the recyclable items and place them into the appropriate containers for recycling by our dedicated contractor. I apologies if our Reception team members were not able to adequately explain our process to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back to The Grace hotel soon.

Best regards

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here for 8 days as part of The Ashes tour down under. I arrived about 11am on NYE and my room wasn't ready. The girl on reception said she didn't know when it would be and offered no assistance of my options with my bags, shower etc while I waited. This was my first impression of the hotel and was quite frankly very disappointing if not rude.

It sort of summed up my whole experience with reception. Rather than there was nothing they wouldn't do for you, it was more of a case that there was nothing they could do for you. Concierge was fine. It was just reception. They had little knowledge of any question asked and the array of desks were generally undermanned or unmanned most of the time.

The hotel itself was fine although a trip to my room on the 8th floor was generally a bumpy affair in old slow lifts.

Location wise you can't complain at all as it is in the epicentre of the action, I just didn't feel the love during my visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Jugzski,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay over the New Year period.

Whilst we make every effort to have the rooms ready for all of our arriving guests, the high volume of arrivals during this period made it more challenging to provide rooms for those guests arriving before our 3:00pm check in time. Our team are well prepared on how to offer appropriate assistance and care for our guests under these type of circumstances however I apologise if you were not assisted according to our standards.

I have shared your feedback with our management team and thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our service in the areas highlighted. Thank you again and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Handy for sightseeing and shopping. A lovely old(ish) building well converted from the Grace Brothers( yes, really!) Department store. Decent, but noisy, downstairs bar with good pub grub. As it is the business district, many of the little local cafés were closed at the NY hol and the weekend. Room and bathroom good, but no views. Wi-fi and credit card charges grate with European travellers who are used to getting it free.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location for exploring Sydney, very convenient to most of the CBD attractions.

The rooms were a standard business hotel type, exactly what you'd expect. If I had been sent here on a work trip I'd be happy. The rooms themselves were reasonably sized and had everything you could need. The beds were comfy and the Peter Morrissey amenities provided were nice.

Staff were all courteous and efficient and check in and out was smooth. The car parking was easy enough to find and we found was pretty good value for Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed here for 8 days as part of a cricket tour. Lovely old building with bags of charm.
Staff friendly and helpful especially concierge who was very knowledgable
Room are looking a bit tatty in places but the shower was superb (huge).
Breakfast was only just ok they kept running out of every thing and food was at best Luke warm.
The gym was very poor, hardly anything in it for a hotel of this standard, and not very clean the poor and terrace were very disappointing.
Shame you had nowhere to buy a coffee in the hotel.
Location good but not sure I would return

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank UKBristol
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit to The Grace for New Year and of course it was expensive. We booked this time via hotels.com for a room for 3 nights for 2 adults and 1 child. Luckily I called The Grace the day before we arrived to check whether the extra bed would be made up as we were arriving late. The hotel had no record of the extra bed (I'm not sure whether this was a hotels.com issue or The Grace) and wanted to charge extra which they didn't when I explained the inflated NYE rate we had paid per night,. On our arrival around 9.30pm we checked in and our room was on 11th floor (high room requested for minimal street noise) and a perfectly made extra bed for our son. The Grace is perfectly situated for a few days in Sydney, the rooms and fittings are a little tired but the room was clean (apart from a few random hairs from the housekeeper?) in the bath and a used glass that wasn't removed for the whole time we were there. Small issues really and I'm sure we would stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014