“Great Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grace. Though it was extremely busy, the reception staff we're friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean and the location was perfect. A good value hotel considering what else is in that price bracket.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bigsook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is convenient to central Sydney and thankfully it was. I stayed here for 3 nights and after a full day at a conference I needed to catch up on work so decided room service would be the best option. After calling the room service number 3 times and it ringing out and diverting to the switchboard, I decided the attend a local supermarket to purchase food. This type of service is unacceptable. The front desk staff were slow and did not appear to want to be at work, it would not hurt to smile a little. Not impressed at all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tryatleastonce
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Tryatleastonce,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback relating to your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service shortfalls that you experienced during your visit. The service you describe is certainly not the level at which we are accustomed to providing our valued guests. Your feedback has been shared with our team so that corrective action may be taken to improve our service in these areas.

Thank you again and I do hope that we might have the opportunity to restore your faith in our services on a future stay.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Lovingly restored art deco hotel bang in the middle of Sydney's business district, a short walk to Circular Quay and Botanic Gardens, and an even shorter walk to Darling Harbour. Great location for tourists. The room service bangers and mash are surely the best I have had since those served-up in a seedy cafe in London's East End favoured by diamond geezers. The breakfast buffet is also excellent.

Very helpful staff who even produced umbrellas on one of Sydney's few, presumably, rainy days.

Highly recommended for discerning travellers who wish to stay in a hotel that seems like a stage set for a 1940's film noir, but with high-end service.

New Zealand
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Grace Hotel for three nights from 20 February 2014. The location was excellent, walking distance to Queen Victoria Building, Pitt Street Mall, Darling Harbour and a 10 minute walk to the Harbour Bridge.

Our room was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding clean and fresh. In fact the bed was more comfortable than my own bed at home.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, although I did have a bit of difficulty with some of the staff not understanding me, where English wasnt their first language, despite being in an English speaking country.

My only complaint would be that I did request a room with a view at the time of booking, with Booking.com and the staff member acknowledged that this was shown on her screen when we checked in, but we never got a room with a view. It was an internal room that looked straight to the back of the building. I did ask if we could be shifted which was going to be arranged for our remaining two nights but when I rang the front desk the next morning the staff member couldn’t tell me when another room would be available, so we decided not to bother pursuing it.

Despite this we will definitely stay at The Grace again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The internal rooms have no view other than the back of the building, so ask for an external room. I...
1 Thank pammyjeanNewZealand
Dear pammyjeanNewZealand,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your overall positive comments about your recent stay at the Grace.

I do apologise that we were unable to fulfil your room request on this occasion due to occupancy and availability constraints. Your room preference has been noted so that we may better accommodate your request on future visits.

I appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager
Alameda, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Grace Hotel is in a beautiful old building, conveniently located in the CBD. The rooms were nice and the staff very helpful. It was an easy walk to the Queen Victoria Building, Darling Harbour, the Rocks and Circular Quay. I would stay here again when in Sydney. Another reviewer complained that the bed was too hard; I did not have any issues with the mattress. More convenient access to free WiFi would have been nice, though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed in the Grace Hotel for 2 nights this week, it's not the first time I have stayed but hopefully it will be the last. The hotel is in an old building (a Post Office from memory) that has been refurbished to quite a high standard.
Check-in was great and the professional staff were friendly and helpful, we were running late and had to go straight to a meeting, we asked for our bags to be taken to our rooms and that was done with no fuss and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
The rooms are big and well appointed but lack comfort, the bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have slept in. Three days later and my back is still aching. I have said it before, the cost of WiFi is unacceptable. I can pay $65 a night for a room in other parts of the world and get free WiFi with the room. I will not pay in excess of $300 per night and then pay $5.00 per hour for WiFi.
A hotel room is a hotel room in my view, so things like WiFi and the comfort of the bed are what tell hotels apart. Sadly for the Grace Hotel scores badly on those points and in a place like Sydney there are plenty of hotels around that are much better

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sweden
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The location is very good with close access to train and nice walking distance to the harbour and other sites worth visiting. Good standard of the room with comfortable beds and good management. A disappointment in this day and age was the very high charges for internet access, especially in a city where free Internet access is becoming more and more common at restaurants, ferries etc. That the breakfast is overpriced at the hotel does not matter so much since there are so many option at close distance.