“Consistently excellent”

The Grace Hotel Sydney
Ranked #21 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 19 April 2014

It had been a little while since staying at this establishment as I do like to try new ones around the traps. On this occasion, the rate was extremely competitive and as such I decided to stay in an upgraded room (Premium?) - boy was it worth it.
A corner room up on the 7th floor it was lovely and quiet. The room was huge! with a lovely bathroom that included a separate bath and shower (noted on reservation and granted). There was some slight issues with room keys initially not working but this was rectified by front office staff efficiently. Room service from the hotel was actually really good and well recommended in the event that you don't have the energy to venture out (as I found myself doing after a rather big night out the previous!).
As per my previous review, the only thing that stops this hotel getting five stars is the front office staff - they need to be far more warming and inviting to get this establishment over the line. Very mediocre and this does not appear to have changed since my last visit two years previously - quite disappointing.

Room Tip: If the rate is right, go for the Premium Room - simply brilliant.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (6,342)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was our last few days in Australia (technically) a we were off to Tasmania for a few days after this. We wanted this to be a bit of luxury. We were greeted by very pleasant staff and the hotel looked great. A bit of a maze and it took a while to find where the restaurant was for breakfast. Our first night was a sleepless night as we had been given an adjoining room. We listened to every word the guys were saying next to us until early hours of the morning. Too tired and too late to call Reception. However, the next day we asked to be moved and following a recent experience of being by a lift shaft (which is very noisy) we asked for a quite area of the hotel. The next room was much smaller and so I asked if they could look for another room. They were most helpful (although probably cursing me when I wasn't looking), but for a four night stay, you want it to be peaceful (as peaceful as you can get in a hotel anyway). So, when we were told of the third room, I asked to have a look first. This was fine and so we moved in for our last three nights. The room was actually much bigger and all was good. Sydney was a beautiful City, one of the best Cities I have ever visited. We will definitely go back again. Thanks to the staff for 'putting up with me'. I just like a decent nights sleep and a luxury shower. The breakfast was great and breakfast staff were very pleasant.

Room Tip: If you like a good night sleep, make sure you don't have an adjoining room or be near a lift sha...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My major issue with the Grace was that they charged us a holding fee of $680 when we checked in for the room as well as a $100 security deposit for two nights. So that's $780 on the credit card. Totally unnecessary. Then on check out the idiot girl charged us again, another $680, so we have $1500 outstanding on our credit card, for a $680 room. The original $680 that was held will be refunded in 7 days. That's a long time to wait for money they should never have taken. I have not had this happen at other hotels. The girl assured us she would not double charge us but would simply refund the $100. The room was lovely and he location great, but this policy to charge cards twice and withhold money on credit cards for no reasons means I will NOT be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank CrystalKAustralia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and fully enjoyed the visit. Staff here is very courteous and helpful. I was specially impressed by Joshua at concierge- he was very helpful in dealing with our heavy luggage.

Reception staff was quick to respond to our request for 2 single beds and they gave us a spacious street facing room. Room was spacious, minimalist, very clean- we liked it a lot.

Location was a big bonus as we could walk to the most of Sydney attractions like Circular quay, Darling Harbor, QVB etc. Lots of cafés around including a subway for vegetarian folks.

I strongly recommend this hotel. Thank you Grace Hotel staff.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had stayed here years ago so it was interesting to come back. I had one of their special rooms which was lovely and had all the things that I need. I am a fussy traveller so I like things to work. Good bed - good shower (except the diverter valve for the rain forest shower head didn't work). Very nice coffee machine. I had a lovely massage at one of the places there - really nice at the end of a long day. I didn't eat breakfast here as there are lots of options close by and I prefer a small breakfast rather than a buffet. We had a drink at Vapiano's but didn't eat there although reports from others in the group were that it is OK. One sour note there was the unwrapped sweets on the counter - goodness me! we were shocked to see this as it is a common cause of gastro bugs. Sadly the staff didn't appear to be interested in this issue and told us that the manager would be cross if they removed the problem - do get this sort out, it is a bit of a no brainer!

Room Tip: Try for one of their special rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I've stayed at the Grace a couple of times, the rooms are nice, the bed comfortable and the wireless is a reasonable speed. Breakfast is included, and there's a bar downstairs. My only (minor) complaint is that they don't have any yoga mats to borrow. The staff are very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors, and not near the lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed four days at the Grace in early April 2014 as part of a stop over in Sydney after a New Zealand cruise. Our room (633) was quite large with a large walk-in shower. Housekeeping was excellent. Our package came with breakfast in the in-hotel restaurant. There were restaurants in the same building (italian and an Irish pub-very-noisy). Convenience store just across the street. Easy walk to Darling Harbor quay to pick up the ferry to downtown or a 15 minute walk on George St. to reach downtown. Check in was smooth and fast. Lots more restaurants in Darling Harbor which, as I mentioned is a 5 minute walk (although an uphill walk on the way back to the hotel.)

One complaint was the fact that the hotel wi fi was ridiculously expensive and the use was measured as soon as it was turned on and kept going until the time purchased was exhausted. No way to shut off if you were not using it. Thought by now most upscale hotels had complimentary wi fi and Grace does position itself as upscale.

On the whole good stay. No complaints except for the wi fi

Room Tip: There is a restaurant in the same building that has free wi fi though you need a password. Stop in f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends