“Too highly rated”

The Grace Hotel Sydney
Ranked #21 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The location for this hotel is very good but that is it. However I found the staff at the reception unfriendly. We had reached Sydney early in the morning and hence had requested over email (ahead of time) that if they could prepare the rooms a little before the usual 2 pm entry as we would leave also by an early flight the next day. The staff had completely ignored the request and did not even bother to try to make the room ready even at 1 pm. The decor is dated and needs to be upgraded. The breakfast is just standard fare. The only saving grace was that we had chosen the family option and hence got free tickets to the Zoo and aquarium.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarita2

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Grace hotel was great. Very nice, lovely ambiance, friendly staff, nice amenities. Small lap pool and gym, but nice terraces on top floor. Great staff. Popular and good pub/restaurant in the hotel. Great concierge service/directions/recommendations, etc. Perfect location. Within walking distance of Sydney Harbor Bridge, Opera House, etc. Nice rooms, no problems at all. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: they gave us a free upgrade upon check-in to a "higher floor, nicer room" as we were celeb...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent location for Pitt Street & Queen Victoria Building shopping, the Rocks, King Street Wharf, Chinatown & Darling Harbour. Clean and comfortable, though wifi was poor and the hotel did not have its own F&B outlets. However, as it is close to pubs, cafés etc this was not a problem. We had an excellent B&B rate via the hotel website and breakfast was the standard hot & cold buffet. The selection was adequate but not great - fine if included in the tariff, but I wouldn't pay extra for it especially as there is a wide choice outside the hotel at a fraction of the buffet cost. We asked for a quiet room and our room faced the internal courtyard with no view, but this didn't bother us. Staff were friendly and efficient. We'll be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Wonderful Art Deco hotel. Stayed for 3 nights this month and will definitely go back and recommend to others. Staff were very friendly, rooms clean and tidy, bed and pillows very comfortable and breakfast excellent. Ideally located to visit all attractions in the City.

Room Tip: Very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Grace a couple of nights while attending a conference. My employer choose the hotel for me so I didn't know anything about the Grace before I arrived. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a grand old art deco building in the centre of Sydney. The check-in was efficient and I found the room to be clean, spacious and quiet. The building itself, being an old department store, is quite old-world and has spacious corridors and public spaces. I particularly liked the history display about the building on the ground floor.
Breakfast in the brasserie was pretty good with a wide range of dishes.I got a discount on the price as part of the accommodation deal which was appreciated. It isn't open at night but there are plenty of eating options around the city.
I would be happy to to stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better to avoid traffic noise.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for just one disapointing night. After a shower, I found there to be no towels in my room and needed to call to reception, this took 10 minutes! The rooms are also noisy, I could hear my neighbour on his phone in the early hours of the morning as well as the guests coming and going in the lifts. The heating and airconditioning is noisy. For around $250/night, this was really disapointing.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the lift shafts
3  Thank Banjomilly
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Banjomilly,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay.

As outlined in my telephone and email communications with you, I can confirm that human error was to blame for the fact that the towels in your room had not been replaced. This was indeed a very rare mistake from a longstanding and professional member of our team who remains unreservedly apologetic for their error.

I do apologise for the actions and behaviour of other hotel guests who disturbed you during the night. Any noise disturbances that are witnessed by our team or reported to us are responded to immediately. We make every effort to ensure that all hotel guests enjoy a peaceful and quiet stay.

I have outlined the course of action taken in relation to your complaint in a separate email to you. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to restore your faith on a future visit.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Grace for 5 nights on a business trip. The room was good, clean and quiet and the Wifi worked, albeit somewhat slow and, as often, expensive. It should be free or at normal prices. Staff are OK and not too visible. The building is very interesting and some 80 years old with an interesting history. The hotel is at risk of looking jaded. The location is excellent, the building and the interior could be spectacular but just feel tired. More should be made of its past. Breakfast, expensive again, is just average or even below par. I can stay there again but without expectations of a spectacular or romantic experience.