“Gracious Sydney”

Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Gracious Sydney”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Centrally located within walking distance of most Sydney attractions The Grace Hotel offers the charm of a bygone era coupled with today's technology and well drilled staff, The Grace provides convenience, value for money, onsite parking and a good choice of room options from elegant standard rooms up to lavish suites. With special rates often on offer, It's an excellent Sydney base

Room Tip: Each of the suites have a different theme. Corner rooms are particularly bright.
Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights when we were touring Australia and New Zealand. The hotel has a long history, but has been renewed and we were very satisfied with our stay.
The receptions staff were quick and very helpsome.
The breakfast had a very wide range of options and the waiters were friendly and serviceminded.
The hotel is situated not far from Darling Harbour where you can find a huge number of good restaurants. To walk to the Opera house takes 25 minutes and close to the hotel you find the high class shops at George street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I make a booking for 4 rooms with this hotel for November 2014.

The booking was made via a third party website and I selected a higher room rate to allow for free cancellation, and no payment required until we checked in.

Within 24 hours I was receiving emails advising payment had been attempted on my debit card for the full amount.

I immediately sent an email - with no response - advising that this was not allowed. I also logged straight onto the third party website and cancelled the booking.

Upon checking my account, they have in fact debited the cost of one room.

Calling the hotel I was put on hold for 10 minutes, and then advised they will refund it. No apology, and no explanation why this was done.

I am still waiting for my refund to ocurr.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gcnicho
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear gcnicho,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unintentional error made by one of our team members. Your credit card was charged as your reservation was wrongly processed as a pre-paid booking when in fact it should not have been. This was an oversight on our part and we had no intention of requesting payment for your stay earlier than was required.

As soon as we were alerted to our mistake, it was immediately rectified. Our apologies have been conveyed to you personally and the error has been corrected.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to the opportunity of re instating your reservations.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Allen
Executive Assistant Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the grace on the recent long weekend. Organised my weekend a little late, and the Grace was one of the only central hotels not at an absolute premium price. I had stayed here for a few work visits 4 years ago and it was pretty good so I booked.

Arrived to check in around 4pm on the Sat. Reception was empty, however I had to wait for the 2 staff to finish their personal conversation before I was served. (My pet hate). No smiles, no 'enjoy your stay' just the key shoved over the desk. Fortunately I had stayed before so I knew where the lifts were (they are a little hidden). You don't want much at check in, but a smile might be nice! Fortunately I didn't need to interact with them for anything more that check in and out.

Hotel is the old Grace Bros. Building so it has an old school charm about it. Rooms are decent sized, and beds are comfy, bathrooms looked to have been updated recently.

The Grace is in a pretty central location. A block and a bit to Wynyard station and also Pitt st mall. Darling Harbour and the Rocks are also in walking distance (downhill though, so remember its uphill on the way back if you're in heels!). Good spot if you are wanting to head to all parts of the city, rather than being based in darling harbour, the rocks etc.

Probably wouldn't stay here again at a premium price as the service isn't 4-5 star, however if you can get a deal then go for it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kiwiinaus77
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

No real complaints here – just an average hotel with reasonable facilities in a reasonable location.
But hey I didn’t go to Sydney for the hotel.

Our room was spacious and clean & the general hotel facilities were good. The on-site pub was lively and a good place to start or finish an evening.

In general a positive hotel stay, although the staff came across as rather surly – especially the lady who checked us in – cheer up luv..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CHarvey123456789
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Grace for a Rotary Convention and booked another three days for our return trip to Sydney before heading home. Great staff, exceptionally clean rooms, they even lent us umbrellas on a rainy day. Can't say enough good things about the accommodations and service!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet - we were on two different floors facing two different directions. If you want t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean and well located but it just wants to squeeze money from you without offering any sort of service.

A host of small(ish) down sides has left the whole stay being very disappointing. I did not feel welcome from the start when upon arrival I was asked to pay for all 4 nights up front plus a deposit of $100per night! Apparently this was a great deal a usually its a deposit $200 per night! Never ever before have I been asked to hand over $1300 before even stepping into the room.

As I was paying well over $200 for my room it did not even occur to me internet would not be included. Upon asking, I was told it was $5 per hr or $15 for the day! This is awful especially considering the connection speed is half that you can get in the pub next door.

Keen to get out as soon as possible my taxi driver had mentioned a fireworks display in the harbour, I went to the concierge to check a few things. For all my questions he just went on google.....and even then be got the info wrong, telling me there was no firework displays that evening. Choosing to believe my taxi driver over the concierge I was treated to a full on massive light and fireworks display.

The "gym" did nothing to release my disappointment the next morning as it doesnt have as much as a mat or a gym ball.

Dinner the following evening in the attached pizza restaurant confirmed my suspicion it is all about the money when a 12.5% surcharge was levied because it was a public holiday, especially suprising as it is self service!

The nail in the coffin was the noise late evening in my room as I was next to the service lift with trolies constantly rattling in and out.

The hotel did relent to giving me free wifi upon pointing out the issues but it was too little too late (especially as the connection was too slow to even get Facebook).

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank L0ve2trav3l
Andrew A, Executive Assistant Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear LOve2trav31,

Thank you for sharing your comments and please accept my apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced during your stay.

It is our policy to request full prepayment of your accommodation as well as a deposit of $100 per night for any additional charges billed to your room when cash is the chosen payment method. This is a standard policy and is not negotiated or varied. We do not ask for a $200 deposit for additional charges. If you prefer to leave a credit card imprint on check in then settlement of your account will be processed upon your departure. Additionally, all excess funds from cash deposits are returned to guests upon departure and does not represent any earnings or revenue for the hotel.

I would also like to confirm that we do offer a period of complimentary internet to all of our guests on a daily basis. This may be utilised in the public areas of the hotel.

The Italian Restaurant that you refer to is not owned, managed or operated by the hotel. However, I have passed on your feedback to the owners and management of this business for their consideration.

Should you be returning to Sydney, please contact me directly so that I may assist you with your arrangements.

Yours sincerely