“Must go if you like seafood”
Review of Sydney Fish Market

Sydney Fish Market
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Seafood Cooking Class at Sydney Fish Market
Ranked #9 of 180 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Sydney Fish Market (SFM) is the largest market of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and the world's second largest seafood market in terms of variety outside of Japan. A working fish market, SFM sources product both nationally and internationally and trades over 14,500 tonnes of seafood annually - with up to a hundred species traded every day.SFM employs approximately fifty-seven staff to organise the weekday wholesale auction, promote Sydney Fish Market as the centre of seafood excellence and operate the Sydney Seafood School. Since opening in 1989, Sydney Seafood School has played an important part in persuading Sydney residents to eat more fish. The School is considered to be one of Australia’s leading cooking schools. Over 13,000 people come to classes each year. Visit the SSS pages for more information or to book a class.Onsite, SFM hosts six seafood retailers, a bottle shop, fruit and veg market, bakery, sushi bar, restaurants, gift shop and deli.If you would like to organise a 'Behind The Scenes' tour of our wholesale auction, please call or email us during business hours (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday).
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Freshness is everything to seafood and this place has it all. Freshes sea urchin I had so far. Good variety of oysters. Lobsters, fish, crabs and you name it. Can sit down and open a bottle of white wine while you eat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,786)
All reviews
in 154 reviews
in 91 reviews
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have been travelling around the world a lot and always searched for a place to eat fish. Blackened fis in Cajacas - California, Lobster at Lama Island -Hongkong, New Haring in my motherland.
Sydney fish market belongs to my favourite top 5 places in the world to eat fresh fish; no fancy restaurant but fresh fish prepared the best way. Choose your pick from the many hawkers and ...I know you will definitely eat too much.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Went there twice to have a feel of what's freshly catch and sold. Went to peter's on both visits. Ordered salmon, lobster, tuna, fish and chips and oysters.

Everything sold there was so cheap compared to the ones I had back home. The Salmon only cost $14 for more than 20 thick slices. Bet I won't find it at such price back home. The salmon was really fresh. Best eaten raw. If only the wasabi given was not so diluted by the soy sauce, the sensation would have been better.

The seafood sold there was so fresh that I was convinced to try oyster there. Back home I will never eat an oyster due to the poor freshness they had and having a bad experience from my first try. Having to dare myself here, amazingly i had not 1 but 2 of the oysters! They were really sweet and creamy and taste of seawater. Its really amazing that oyster can be so tasty. Now I would love to try more oyster in future when chance comes.

As for the fish and chip and lobster, the serving was really big and really cheap. Would love to head back here once more when I visit Sydney again.

1  Thank Kevin_Kwa
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I love seafood and you won't be disappointed. Some cooked with flavor seafood maybe not so good. But if u a there early enough, those freshly boiled seafoods are sth u can't miss!!!! High value of money!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you have never been to the Sydney Fish Markets then it is time to go. The first time we went there we were so overwhelmed we could not decide what to order. There is so much to choose from and so many places to order from. We ended going back a second time on our way to the airport so we could try a few more varieties of sea food. Beware of the seagulls they are a major problem taking food off the tables and from the public while they are eating. Inside was too crowded but we managed to eat our food before they could steal any.