“Old world charm in the Rocks”
Review of The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel
Ranked #39 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
“Old world charm in the Rocks”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We really loved the character of the building and the location is great close to circular quay & all the ferries. Our room was spacious & well furnished. The staff were extremely helpful both at reception & the pub below where breakfast us served. The continental breakfast was generous & set us up for the day's sightseeing. We chose to have dinner in the pub below one night & the meal was lovely - better than your average pub grub. Save room for the desserts! Have stayed here before and would definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2014
managerrussell, Manager at The Russell Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Mark and Roz O,

Thank you for taking time to give your wonderful review of the Russell Hotel. I am glad you liked the character of the building, being built back in 1887 it is certainly full of character with a fantastic location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
New England
Reviewed 28 February 2014

It's charming, I don't understand the negative comments. It's a fun old building with twists and turns, ups and downs. Our room definitely was air conditioned, the bedding of good quality and the bathroom (we booked en suite) just fine. Breakfast was included, a plus, and included a fine offering of fresh fruit, excellent yogurt, cereals, C&T , toast etc. It's not, thank goodness, a Holiday Inn, but a great place to stay in a perfect location.

Room Tip: They are all different, ask.
Dear webaccount,

We appreciate you taking the time to review the Russell Hotel and It is pleasing to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. We agree with you our hotel is charming and every room is unique in their design, layout and features.

Saratoga CA
Reviewed 27 February 2014

When I visited Sydney last, about 25 years ago, I decided that for my next visit I would stay in the Rocks region. Unfortunately moderately upscale hotels are amazingly expensive in this part of the city. All else being equal I am willing to sacrifice some "fanciness" in order to stay in my desired location.

Based on the reviews I decided that The Russell would likely meet my desires. I called the hotel directly and enquired about the various room types. The reservationist recommended an air conditioned room for late February; I was able to book a superior en-suite for $280A/night.

What I liked:
--amazing location: a block from the Overseas Passenger Terminal cruiseport, perfect for travelers beginning or ending a cruise. Easy walking distance to various Rocks destinations, C.Q, Botanic Gardens, Queen Vic building, etc.
--staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We arrived about 9AM. The receptionist said that the previous occupants of our room had just checked out and she asked housekeeping to set up the room for us. Twenty minutes later we could check in. They even offered us a pre-flight shower on the afternoon after we had checked out.
--room was large and comfortable and the air conditioning was useful for the few hot days during our stay
--Wi-Fi ($5A/day) worked well and was very fast

Minor concerns:
--lack of refrigerator (a surprise, I thought that Australian rooms generally included a small refrig)
--lack of a desk; I used my laptop on my lap
--some pub noise on weekend nights, noticeable but not objectionable, generally quieting down about 11PM

Overall I was very pleased with my decision to book this hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel has a variety of accommodation levels including shared bath. Call the hotel to make sure...
Dear KayakBob,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Russell Hotel. We like to agree with you that we have a great location in The Rocks. It’s nice to hear you found our rooms quite spacious and our staff incredibly friendly and helpful!

We are looking to get refrigerators in each room in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I'm giving this 4 stars because I booked the hotel knowing the accommodations were minimal but the location was perfect. What I didn't know was that there was going to be no air conditioning and that was my own fault to assume that (never again lol). Other hotels in this location were starting at around $300-$350 a night so I told my girlfriend this wasn't going to be the Ritz but we could deal for 4 days. We got a room on the 3rd floor which was probably the smallest room I've ever shared with someone, there was barely room for all our luggage. The shared bathroom/shower situation was fine but the lack of air conditioning was killer. It was super hot and humid in the room so we had to keep the window open with the ceiling fan full blast. It was noisy on George Street so it was tough sleeping every night we were there. That being said the location is perfect, right next to Circular Quay and the Rocks. The trains and ferries are a 3 minute walk away and theres cabs and buses galore steps from the hotel. This hotel is as close to "roughing it" as you can get, a cheap podunk motel 6 is more comfortable than this hotel. If you can deal with the tiny room, no AC, shared bathroom and noise at night then this place is a steal in an area loaded with luxury hotels. I think if we went in the wintertime it would've been easier to deal with, but in the hot and humid summer time this place was pretty unbearable. Like I said amazing location but I wish I would've spent and extra $150 a night for extra space, AC and a bathroom.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
managerrussell, Manager at The Russell Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Adam B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Russell Hotel.

We are sorry to hear that our Standard Room did not meet your expectations. Our Standard Rooms are our lead in rooms with fans and shared bathrooms and these rooms are priced accordingly. Most of our rooms have en suite bathrooms and air conditioning.

I hope we can welcome you back again at the Russell Hotel soon.

England
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The location of this hotel is second to none if you want to be near the main sights in Sydney, and the staff were friendly and helpful. However we were a little disappointed overall - the website describes the hotel as a boutique hotel, so we expected a little luxury, something special. We booked four double rooms with ensuite, and in each the decor was faded, the furniture rickety and grubby, one of the rooms was poky, one ceiling fan didn't work, some rooms had bath robes, others didn't. Noise from the pub next door was also a problem, keeping us awake until the early hours two nights. The roof garden had a huge air con unit on it and was very noisy! We'd travelled from the UK, so wanted our holiday to be perfect - we'd have happily paid more to stay somewhere nicer, but the website had persuaded us that The Russell would be great - it wasn't.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at The Russell for 4 nights during our Australia-trip. The Location is the absolutely Highlight of this Hotel (very near to Circular Quay and Sydney Opera house). Everything else was not to our satisfaction. The room was very dark, the bathroom had no fan, the breakfast was quite OK, but it took half an hour to get some new coffee, when it ran out. You are paying a lot of money (300 AUD per night) just for the Location.

Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

An old hotel situated at the beginning of the Rocks area. Ideal for Circular Quay, the ferries, bus ,train and restaurants.
It does overlook George Street and is next to a convivial bar so is not the quietest place in town but we found our room at the back was fine. There is a pleasant lounge and a rooftop area to relax and look down on the always lively scene below.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The stairs are narrow and winding but there is a lift.
Do not expect four star luxury but our room was spotless and the bed very comfortable and we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a Superior en suite room overlooking Nurses Walk at the back of the hotel. it was spacious...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple