The Russell Boutique Hotel
US$215
US$173
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
US$171
  • Pool
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$145
  • Room Service
US$182
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshared bathroomrooftop gardencircular quayhard boiled eggsopera houseceiling fanmuseum of contemporary artsitting roomgreat locationrocks arearabbit warrencontinental breakfastcruise terminalbar downstairsno air conditioninggeorge streetyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Took a few days break in Sydney with the family and found this hidden gem. Quite different from any of the "modern" hotels that I frequent. Loads of character, charm and history. Located in a fantastic position within staggering distance to Circular Quay. Fantastic breakfast (included in room price), wonderful staff and clean, comfortable rooms. Will be on my "Must stay here again" list.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WigB2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed two nights at The Russell Hotell in may 2014. This is a very nice and cozy hotel, and it has a PERFECT location! I stayed in a room with shared bathroom because it was cheaper. The bathroom was big and very nice. Didn't notice at all that we were several people using it. New towels everytime I used it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I arrived before check-in, but I got to use the shower to freshn up after the long travel. The hotel is located in the Rocks, a very nice area. And you can walk in five minutes to Circular Quey where the airport train passes by. If you're in Sydney for a short time, this is really a nice place to stay. You can get around fast. And from just 100 meters away from the hotel, you have one of the best view to the Opera House.
Overall, it was one of my best hotel experience all times!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the street may have a little noise in the nights. Don't bother with a private bathroom. The shared ones are really nice!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mariannearnemo
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Went down to Sydney for a romantic weekend. The location of the Russell Hotel is perfect (next to central station, opera house and the bridge).
We had a great time, the service was perfect and the breakfast included was very satisfying.
Had a share bathroom: cleaned regularly for the best comfort of guests.
Perfection

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank margben17
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Although I had lived in Sydney many years ago, my wife had not been to Australia, and I wanted to find a funky, authentically old fashioned hotel near the harbor. That meant looking in The Rocks. Other reviews for this property were favorable and we stayed here for three nights before sailing on a cruise from the (very) nearby cruise terminal. A word of warning: we gave the taxi driver the address on our way in from the airport, but he could not find it. We arrived at night, found the right block of George Street, but there was no #143A visible. We stopped the cab. I got out and walked up a wide pedestrian pathway and there it was - an entrance on the side of the building with a canopy bearing the hotel's name. There was no doorman, as such, but a member of the staff helped us with our (many) bags - and took no tip! Talk about funky - once inside the main entrance, you had to go up a short flight of stairs, or in a small elevator, to reception. We had a room on the top floor, facing the street, with private bath. It was my impression that a majority of the rooms share a bath and we would not have booked here if that was required. Each floor is laid out in a square, around an open central airway, and there are a sequence of steps leading to slightly higher or lower levels. Odd, but rather charming nonetheless. Unlike all modern hotels, the windows actually opened and there was also air conditioning with manual controls - plus a ceiling fan in the bedroom. There was a small sitting room with hot plate and television. The room was clean and comfortable. A special word of thanks to the front office staff who were all very friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. The restaurant for the hotel is a pub, with a separate George Street entrance, which can be reached by a set of steep stairs (or elevator) from the reception lobby. A continental breakfast (included) is served here every morning. The small roof top garden terrace has a lovely view of the Harbor Bridge and is a pleasant place to sit with a glass of wine, weather permitting. The location in The Rocks is simply terrific. Walking distance to everything - good restaurants, shops of all kinds (including globally recognized high end brands), a pharmacy, banks, etc. Nothing in Australia is inexpensive and The Russell is no exception. At A$275 per night, I would guess it was a better deal than the Four Seasons, located just a block away. If you want a sleek, modern hotel and all that comes with it, The Russell is not for you. If you would like to experience what staying in a Sydney hotel was like in the 1920's and 1930's, this is just the ticket. If and when we return, we will stay here again. Highly recommended for those that want to venture off the beaten track and get a glimpse of the Australia of yesteryear.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor, facing George Street. A private bath is worth the money.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wpdame3
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I'm in my room as I write this. I wanted a change from the corporate hotels which are all rather similar. This is a lovely hotel with rooms like your bedroom at home. Staff are very friendly. Shower is hot and powerful. It is a very short walk to circular quay. I like it and would def stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo