1,031 results
All reviews shared bathroom rooftop garden circular quay hard boiled eggs ceiling fan opera house museum of contemporary art sitting room great location rocks area rabbit warren continental breakfast bar downstairs cruise terminal no air conditioning george street yogurt
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked at the Russell because of all the favorable reviews on Frommers and the Rough Guide. We booked a standard room for AUD 260 for 3 nights. We arrived late and we were given a handicapped-access room. The first problem was that there was no real shower and the water got all over the place in the bathroom so one could not come back to the bathroom without getting their feet wet. When we went to sleep, we noticed unpleasantly that the bed had springs coming out of the mattress and the mattress was so old and used that it curved like a hammock when in bed. I woke up next morning stiff and with a back pain radiating from my neck all the way down my back on the right side. We decided to tell the management about this problem and to leave to stay at the Shangri-La next door, that was cheaper and the beds looked good in the picture. They offered us instead a better room with a better bed and we stayed. They also gave us 50% off the first night. But, short of comping the first night entirely and paying for a massage next door, what could make up for ruining a whole day (my birthday) out of a three day stay in Sydney? Even the second room was not worth the price in my opinion. The best thing about it was the location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

An honest place, period furniture, comfort and location which makes up for the kaxk if view, Still, it is a short walk through The Rocks to the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Circular Quay where the train to the airport is located. It can be noisy at times, but this is well regulated. I have stayed here several times both when on business and with my husband when in Sydney for concerts etc. It is a fanrastic base in this respect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

For a fast visit to a great city I reckon this is as good a location as you can get...Not surprising the 4 Seasons is next door! Compact and friendly this little slice of traditional hotel atmosphere was just what the doctor ordered after 30 hours flying from Ireland. Not sure it would be great for family but for the single or couple a great option. I liked the quirky old furniture and felt part of Sydney not some franchise! Shared bathroom - it's been a while since I experienced that but all very clean and great value. Breakfast was decent enough. Highly recommend for a tourist who want to make his /her own way around.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mark g
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Brilliant location, comfortable beds and free WiFi were really appreciated. Nice sitting room and roof garden.

We stayed at The Russell a couple of years ago and loved it but this time was disappointing. We had a superior twin room for ourselves and a standard double with ensuite for the 16 year-old. Superior room was fine but the connecting (locked) door to the next room was not soundproof so conversation, sneezes, coughs etc were easily heard - thank goodness they didn't snore and were not night-owls.
The double room was very small; the shower didn't work properly (although attended to quickly on request),the tv remote didn't work and the tv was only viewable from one side of the bed; the carpet was stained; there is no fridge.

I realise this is a historic hotel consisting of more than one property joined by steps, stairs and narrow passageways. I can see no mention in the hotel blurb of the difficulty anyone with mobility problems would have, even using the lift.

Included breakfast was adequate.

Sorry, this review sounds like nit-picking but I could have stayed in Philip St for half the cost and 300m further along George St for appreciably less, but I thought a boutique property would be worth the extra.

As someone has already said we found it more shabby than chic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank judb
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I choose The Russell when in Sydney as I take the train from the airport to Circular Quay and it is a 4 minute walk. It is convenient to access the Opera House for concerts etc I'm then charmed by The Rocks and enjoy the markets nearby. I know I can go for a safe walk. I love the period styling of the bedrooms and the breakfast is satisfying.

Room Tip: Its worth paying a little extra for a double bed as a single guest, as the single room comes with a single bed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo