“hotel with lots of character and friendly staff”
Review of The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel
Ranked #38 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
Irvine, California
“hotel with lots of character and friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location just steps from the Quay and the Opera House. The rooms are all different with a lot of character and they let me see the rooms available and choose the one I liked most. The staff was so friendly and had great suggestions on restaurants and the restaurant in the hotel was wonderful too. They were even nice enough to stow my bag when I went to Cairns for a week, so I wouldn't have to take so much luggage with me. I would certainly return to his hotel as the warm staff made me feel like this was certainly my home away from home.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Russell Hotel. Friendly and welcoming staff, can't wait for our next stay. The food was good, so close to shops and market. A walk from the opera house and ferries. Art gallery's across the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathroom.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Location, location, location is certainly a attraction for this old hotel but in my opinion you can pay a bit more within a 10 minute walk and get much better value. This old hotel is exactly that in many ways. A beautiful old historical building although most of the charm has been covered over. Old is the state of the fitout. There are some restrictions when you try to make use of an historical building but things like, beds, bedding, fitments etc can be updated to provide the traveller with a pleasant experience. Even something as basic these days as a TV. The one in our room was the size of a small computer screen and was just sitting on the small table. When sitting on the bed (only 1 single lounge) it was difficult to see the screen across the room. A large TV on the wall is one of the small investments ha would help to make an improvement on the age of the environment. I feel it has been a long time since someone spent decent money on this hotel and they are continuing to live off their only real benefit, location. If the cost was around the $150.00 per night you might feel like you got an ok deal. At the $355.00 we paid for an en-suite room I felt we were over charged. Apart from what is mentioned above there was not really anything particularly wrong, the staff were pleasant, the room was clean, breakfast next day was OK but we go to these type of places only as a treat so it's disappointing when they don't meet expectations. If we were to go to Sydney (our home town) for another night in the city I'd pay the extra to stay in much better accommodation.

Room Tip: Check to make sure you have the facilities you want. Not all rooms have an on-suite and they don'...
Emory, Texas
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have stayed here three times this month and the location cannot be beat. It would get a 5 star but the floor creaks as you walk in the room and that is annyoing at night when someone gets up. We had a travel agent book our room and there was mass confusion which lead to our room being canceled but they got us a room here for the night. It is on George street across from Circular Quay with Ferry, Bus and Train access. Very conventient and the food and weekend street shops nearby are awesome!

Room Tip: Be careful if you want a view. There are minimal rooms with views and some don't have en suite...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
melbourne
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This has to be one of the best located hotels in Sydney and a rare thing, in that it is a small personal place right on the doorstep of Circular Quay. You've got the bridge, the opera house, MCA and the ferries on your doorstep and you can go to and from the airport by train very easily. The building retains much of its 19th century charm and has been sympathetically renovated to enable it to deliver a modern standard of service. The welcome is friendly, so combined with the small scale it feels more like a small town boutique hotel, in contrast to the bland chains that are the standard in central Sydney. The watch out is that rooms vary greatly. The lower price rooms have shared bathrooms which are quite cramped. The more expensive rooms,(in about the $240 price range) are very charming though and tend to be quieter. I had room 30 and it was delightful. Rooms overlooking George St are pretty noisy on a Friday or Saturday, but the staff are good at managing any noise issues.
The breakfast is modest but adequate. Overall, this will continue to be the place I will stay on my regular trips to Sydney and I would strongly recommend the Russell for solo low budget business travellers or city breaks.

Room Tip: Back of the building and pay a higher rate. Avoid a room overlooking the Fortune of War hotel at wee...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Sorry for the bad pun in the title, I couldn't help myself. The Russell is above all in a great location to explore Sydney. Located in The Rocks, with many great restaurants, gift shops, museums and a great outdoor market on weekends it's hard to find a better location. I love charming old hotels and this one sure fit that description. The staff was friendly and efficient. On my second stay, I arrived late at night and they greeted me at the door with my room key and told me I could check in after I slept. I chose a room with a shared bath. Even though my room was quite small, it was perfect for just me. Even if my spouse would of been with me, we would of been fine with the room size. I will say the shower room was so small, I had to step inside the shower to close the door, but once inside it was big enough.

Breakfast was not fancy or hot, but more than enough to fill me up.

If you're flying in there is no reason to take a taxi or shuttle, the hotel is a 2 minute walk from Circular Quay Station with trains departing every few minutes. You can also catch a ferry at the same station.

Room Tip: Even if you're a single, pay the extra $10.00 for the Standard Room VS. Single Room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked at the Russell because of all the favorable reviews on Frommers and the Rough Guide. We booked a standard room for AUD 260 for 3 nights. We arrived late and we were given a handicapped-access room. The first problem was that there was no real shower and the water got all over the place in the bathroom so one could not come back to the bathroom without getting their feet wet. When we went to sleep, we noticed unpleasantly that the bed had springs coming out of the mattress and the mattress was so old and used that it curved like a hammock when in bed. I woke up next morning stiff and with a back pain radiating from my neck all the way down my back on the right side. We decided to tell the management about this problem and to leave to stay at the Shangri-La next door, that was cheaper and the beds looked good in the picture. They offered us instead a better room with a better bed and we stayed. They also gave us 50% off the first night. But, short of comping the first night entirely and paying for a massage next door, what could make up for ruining a whole day (my birthday) out of a three day stay in Sydney? Even the second room was not worth the price in my opinion. The best thing about it was the location.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel