All reviewsshared bathroomrooftop gardencircular quayhard boiled eggsceiling fanopera housemuseum of contemporary artsitting roomgreat locationrocks arearabbit warrencontinental breakfastcruise terminalbar downstairsno air conditioninggeorge streetyogurt
Reviewed 27 August 2014

In the heart of the Rocks, Circular Quay and the MCA right on your doorsteps, the white sails of the Opera House and the impressive Harbour bridge on either sides of the building: location is stunning as well as very convenient for airport transfers. Rooms are quaintly decorated with vintage style wallpaper and colonial furniture, but offer little storage space. Decent breakfast, free wi fi and Molton Brown toiletries are included. You will have to use the latter in shared, spotless, tiny bathrooms, though. Complimentary evening chocolate and words of wisdom will accompany every day of your stay. An excellent pub downstairs serves hot food and beverages till late and if you are not satisfied, the area has plenty of restaurants, pubs and late night cafès to choose from. The downside: it is as pricey as the upmarket hotels nearby, but also a lovely alternative to them.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location just steps from the Quay and the Opera House. The rooms are all different with a lot of character and they let me see the rooms available and choose the one I liked most. The staff was so friendly and had great suggestions on restaurants and the restaurant in the hotel was wonderful too. They were even nice enough to stow my bag when I went to Cairns for a week, so I wouldn't have to take so much luggage with me. I would certainly return to his hotel as the warm staff made me feel like this was certainly my home away from home.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Russell Hotel. Friendly and welcoming staff, can't wait for our next stay. The food was good, so close to shops and market. A walk from the opera house and ferries. Art gallery's across the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Location, location, location is certainly a attraction for this old hotel but in my opinion you can pay a bit more within a 10 minute walk and get much better value. This old hotel is exactly that in many ways. A beautiful old historical building although most of the charm has been covered over. Old is the state of the fitout. There are some restrictions when you try to make use of an historical building but things like, beds, bedding, fitments etc can be updated to provide the traveller with a pleasant experience. Even something as basic these days as a TV. The one in our room was the size of a small computer screen and was just sitting on the small table. When sitting on the bed (only 1 single lounge) it was difficult to see the screen across the room. A large TV on the wall is one of the small investments ha would help to make an improvement on the age of the environment. I feel it has been a long time since someone spent decent money on this hotel and they are continuing to live off their only real benefit, location. If the cost was around the $150.00 per night you might feel like you got an ok deal. At the $355.00 we paid for an en-suite room I felt we were over charged. Apart from what is mentioned above there was not really anything particularly wrong, the staff were pleasant, the room was clean, breakfast next day was OK but we go to these type of places only as a treat so it's disappointing when they don't meet expectations. If we were to go to Sydney (our home town) for another night in the city I'd pay the extra to stay in much better accommodation.

Room Tip: Check to make sure you have the facilities you want. Not all rooms have an on-suite and they don't all have queen beds.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have stayed here three times this month and the location cannot be beat. It would get a 5 star but the floor creaks as you walk in the room and that is annyoing at night when someone gets up. We had a travel agent book our room and there was mass confusion which lead to our room being canceled but they got us a room here for the night. It is on George street across from Circular Quay with Ferry, Bus and Train access. Very conventient and the food and weekend street shops nearby are awesome!

Room Tip: Be careful if you want a view. There are minimal rooms with views and some don't have en suite bathrooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family