“Delightful Stay at Hotel 59”
Review of Hotel 59

Hotel 59
Ranked #9 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
“Delightful Stay at Hotel 59”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We just concluded an eight night stay at Hotel 59 and we were delighted. Initially, I was concerned that the room (Room 2 on the first floor, which we call the second floor in the U.S.), was fairly basic with only one small window. However, it turned out to be quite comfortable with plenty of room to spread out. It was also very quiet with absolutely no street noise and little sound from adjoining rooms. The room was clean and wee tended during our visit. George is an amiable and capable host, interested in his guests and curious about their home countries. He was helpful and responsive to all of our requests. We were not surprised to see that he was popular in his neighborhood, with many locals coming and going from the downstairs cafe where he serves a nice choice of cooked breakfasts to hotel guests. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Don K

We are delighted to read your comments and are extremely happy that our great value hotel satisfied all your requirments. Thank you for your appreciation and i wish you all the best for your year of travel ahead.

George

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The last leg of our Melbourne to Sydney journey following the Ashes Cricket was spent at Hotel 59. Of all the places we stayed, this was the best in all respects. Best value, location, room, and above all service quality. If you are going to Sydney then Hotel 59 is the place to stay.
The family owners deserve great credit for service they provide

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Henleys200

We appreciate your comments and are pleased that you chose hotel 59 for your 2 week stay in Sydney and we had the opportunity to meet such lovely people as yourselves. We are happy you had such a wonderful time and appreciate your sentiments.
Good luck for the coming year at your restaurant Henleys in Marbella.

Your friends at hotel 59
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at Hotel 59 at the end of November 2013 for about 4 days. I'm a solo, female, budget traveler and this was my 1st visit to Sydney. From the booking process to check out this hotel was excellent.

Airport transportation: The hotel gives you info in your booking confirmation about catching a shuttle from the airport for about $15AUD. Follow the advice they give, it works. And definitely book the return shuttle to the airport with the hotel directly; it is guaranteed cheaper no matter what the shuttle driver tells you ($12AUD).

Location: At first I was skeptical of the location because I had read a lot of mixed reviews about Kings Cross but because of my budget I took my chances. Glad I did. The particular area of the hotel is nice, full of cafes/bars, within steps of the bus (1-2 min walk) and train station (3-5 min walk) and overall peaceful. i didn't have any issues. I usually came back in the evening and felt totally safe. It did rain 1/2 of the time I as there so it wasn't as crowded at night but I honestly felt safe every step of the way. Also, the area has a good amount of convenience stores, one being directly across from the hotel. I believe it even has computers for printing.
FYI - if you are like me and dislike bus travel but love train travel this hotel is in an excellent location. I used the train (or ferry from Circular Quay) for all travel except going to Bondi Beach. A bus was my only option for that but it was very easy to manage.

Hotel: I arrived early; the girl in my room previously was leaving as I was coming. No worries, George (the owner) let me drop off my bags in the room and freshen up a bit (coming from a 15 hour plane ride) before heading out. He level set me with a map and gave me a good walking route down to Circular Quay (he said the walk should take about 40 mins but it took me A LOT longer only because I kept stopping to take in every little sight and I got a bit lost in the process). When I got to my room (#5 - a single) it was clean and comfy. Basic needs were met: comfortable bed, fridge, small closet, tea, TV and AC. The shower was actually bigger than I was expecting. Being able to comfortably turn around in the shower was very nice, LOL. It was quiet, actually felt like I was alone in the hotel but I know it was full because I would see others at breakfast in the morning. The wifi worked well but sometimes because of the location of the room I'd have to step outside to have it re-establish but then it was fine. The price was hands down the best I found in Sydney - $99AUD per night for my single including breakfast.
Note: Hotel 59 has more of a bed and breakfast feel. It's small and quaint and does not have a lift. There are 10-15 steps leading to the front door, then more once inside depending on room location.

Breakfast: The hotel is over top of Cafe 59. The cafe is where you go every morning for your free breakfast. The menu has a lot of great options. The food is fantastic. I looked forward to going down every morning, ordering tea and breakfast and conversing with George. It was outstanding.

Service: George was fantastic. He's so knowledgeable about the city and transportation options. He loves to chat about where you're from and your travels. He was always available to answer questions. I was also impressed that he had my name memorized on arrival. He's a real class act and excellent source of information. He will also assist with booking your Blue Mountain tour if interested.

When in Sydney again, I will most certainly be returning here. Thank you for a great first impression of Sydney George & Hotel 59!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank NJGirlvTheWorld
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear NJGirlvTheWorld

Thank you for taking the time and effort to leave such a detailed review, we are happy that you did choose to stay at hotel 59 and did get to experience our wonderful innercity location.
Our location is perfectly safe as you saw for yourself. Really no need to have any concerns
We are very pleased that we left you with a great impression of Sydney. It is nice to read that our small efforts to make your stay enjoyable is also appreciated.
I wish you all the best for your future travels.

We look forward to meeting you again.

Hotel 59
Beverley
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The location is very central and quite entertaining people watching when walking back from underground station on an evening.
Clean room and newly decorated bathroom but bedroom decor a little dated.
Friendly owner and good breakfast choices.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear RandGP

Glad you enjoyed our central location it is very convenient for accessing all the major tourist attractions. It is good to read that our low rate also provided good value, dissapointing to read the bedroom decor was not to your liking, most of it was recently updated.
If you are looking for a reasonably priced clean centrally located accommodation with complimentary breakfast hotel 59 will suit most people. Thank you for your stay

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The host of the hotel was friendly and informative. He reminded us to let him stamp on a carpark ticket to get a discount on parking from A$96 to less than A$20 per night at a car park nearby.
The room facilities were aged but in general it was a comfortable stay. The breakfast was really nice. Basically I can reach most of the city spots in walking distance. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Jennifer Y

We are happy to be able to help you with the parking, $AUD96 is nearly as much as your accommodation per night and you had a complimentary breakfast just as well you did mention to me that you did have the car.
Just before your stay we had installed new cabinets, new top quality wool carpets, new mattresses, new lamps, new shower screens, all other facilities are in good working order.
It is good to read you had a comfortable stay and you have no problem recommending us to others. We appreciate your comments.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

spent 5 nights at Hotel 59 in Nov 2013 and we enjoyed our stay. George and his family are very gracious and the breakfast was fantastic. We loved the location and the hotel is just a short 20 minute walk to the harbour. Lots of restaurants in the neighbourhood and King's Cross station was a short block away. It was like the B&B's in Europe, small and friendly. We would stay here again. Thanks George

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Wendy993

Thank you for leaving your detailed comments, it is exactly what i would like to read about a place which would make me decide to stay there.
It was our pleasure having you as our guests we wish you all the best.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed in Room 7 on the ground floor and it was quiet, with good AC and a very hot shower. As one expects with value hotels, the room is not large, but I was only there to sleep and the bed was very comfortable. The only minor disappointment was that the wireless was a bit intermittent, though when it worked it was fine. George is a friendly host and breakfast was a very nice bonus. The location is excellent and Hotel 59 will be my first choice if I have reason to be in central Sydney.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DunedinAcademic
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear DunedinAcademic

Thank you for choosing to stay at hotel 59 and leaving your comments for the next traveller to read. We agree with you with free internet, complimentary cooked breakfast and a great central location it is excellent value.
We look forward to meeting you again on your next visit.