“comfortable oasis”
Review of Arts Hotel

Arts Hotel
Ranked #106 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My friend and I wanted a reasonably priced hotel near the SCG. We found this little gem.
The room was compact but plenty of room for us and twin beds. Bathroom very small but clean and quite sufficient for our needs. The courtyard and pool were an excellent bonus for a relaxing afternoon. The beds were extremely comfortable with good quality sheets and pillows. The air conditioning was sometimes noisy but this was a minor issue.
The location is brilliant, with an adjoining pub that offers discount to hotel patrons and a myriad if restaurants nearby. Staff are friendly and helpful.
I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden/courtyard rooms are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank we2brits

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The only two things that were decent about this little hotel was the outside courtyard and the location. The room was tiny, the aircon didn't work and bed sheets and floor didn't seem too clean. At checkout the reception didn't even ask how our stay was. Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in all of Australia. Website states it's been refurbished, the only thing that was refurbished was the hotel exterior. Won't be recommending this place.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed over the NRL Grand Final Weekend, Service at reception good , the rooms are not large but ok, the price is good and value for money, good area to be in and plenty of restaurants around to try .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Headchef57
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have stayed at this property several times over the years when it was known as Sullivan's. Back then it was always a pleasant, quirky and affordable choice.

On my recent visit to Sydney I opted to stay here again under it's new name of Arts Hotel which in my mind eluded to a possible revamp with an artistic vibe. Wrong. Same place, simply new and misleading name.

The property is still quite basic and I do not have a problem with this, however the rooms have not had an update since I started staying there many years ago. It really is time for an upgrade.

My real problem lies with house keeping. The room did not look as clean as it should and this was confirmed when I went to use the toilet and noted a brown stain. Yuk. The ironing board kept collapsing. I think time to invest in some new ones and lastly daylight savings kicked in during my stay. You would think the digital clock would have been amended. No.

Another note. Why is the restaurant only open for breakfast. It has the most fabulous position on Oxford Street and they are not maximising the passing trade that would most certainly patronise it if they removed the clunky furniture and funked it up.

On a more positive note, the front desk staff are pleasant and helpful.

Sadly I think this was my last stay here until they give it some much needed attention.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Melbourneguy
ArtsHotel, General Manager at Arts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for adding a review of our hotel.

We are extremely sorry about the housekeeping issue. It is important to bring these things to our attention at the time so we can take appropriate action. The same applies to the issue with the ironing board.

Our rooms undergo constant maintenance but we have not made any major changes to our Standard rooms. While they have all of our usual appointments – new flat screen televisions, free Foxtel, room safe, ironing board, etc., they are as the name suggests, our basic rooms and are priced accordingly. Recently we started upgrading a number of our Garden rooms to a higher standard of finish. These “Art Rooms” feature bespoke wall treatments, ergonomic and hypoallergenic beds, rainshowers, new furniture, new plush pile carpeting, original artworks and a number of personal touches. Currently they are being offered as a free upgrade to long stay guests who book a garden room.

Kind regards
Mark Foster

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Normally, I stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point, but my work this time put me into the Arts Hotel. I was leery at first, as it's not much to look at, but was pleasantly surprised. The Garden Room I had overlooked the inner courtyard and pool, and was very quiet and well equipped. The rooms are smallish, but have a desk, a couple chairs, fridge, brew gear, and TV with lost of channels (including movies). The best was fine, though I'd prefer a softer pillow option.
You can't beat the location on Oxford Street, Paddington and the CBD is easily accessible, and there are some great pubs/restaurants very close.
The underground parking is VERY cramped, with not too many spaces, so if travelling by car (especially a SUV etc), you may want to think about a back-up plan for parking.
The staff were very friendly and efficient, and they serve a basic continental breakfast with hardboiled eggs, cereal and so forth for $16.00.
The only real complaint I had was the aircon was quite noisy, even on low. I slept through it, but it was distracting when watching TV or reading.
Overall, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Darryl D
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Clean, cheap, great location close to St Vincents hospital- but noisy, and very basic. Great if like us, you just needed a bed. Free undercover parking a bonus. We got there very late and left very early, so didn't get to really speak to the staff or check out the facilities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

As I did not pay top dollar I was not expecting something so good. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were updated, clean and tidy. Had a fabulous nights sleep, the bed was comfortable and it was quiet. Public transport nearby and not far from the CBD. A great corner pub next door also offered great service, fabulous meals and a nice spot to relax. Would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms that face oxford street might be noisy but I can't be sure. The others are really qui...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends