“Fantastic value”
Review of Sydney Central YHA

Sydney Central YHA
Ranked #11 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 16 April 2008

My girlfriend and I needed somewhere relatively cheap to stay at the end of a long trip but still wanted our own room with a bathroom. The YHA was perfect.

Granted it didn't have the minibar or luxury bed a more expensive place would have given us but it was clean, comfortable and wonderfully located. The YHA had loads of useful ammenities at hand - laundry, internet, restaurant (though the breakfast is not anything to write home about).

All in all really pleased we stayed there and saved some cash to ensure we could do everything we wanted in the city. After all Sydney is such a busy city your room is simply somewhere to lay your head.

Thoroughly recommended to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pads4

Reviewed 15 April 2008

great staff, rooms were very comfortable, clean, safe!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Wow what a surprise this hostel was for me! It had been over 20 years since I had stayed in a hostel and so I was not real keen try this location out thinking I was too old (BTW there is a wide range of ages there). I was givien a recommendation for this location by a friend in the UK who had stayed a few months eariler For the price and the location I had to give it a go!

I was booked in a private double with ensuite. I made my reservations via the location website and that was very easy to do with no problems. The location is just 4 train stops from the international terminal and was really easy to get to. The only problem getting to the location was that the Central Train Station is very large and there are different exits out, which if you take the wrong exit it, it puts you on the wrong side of the building to get to the Central YHA easily.

Check in was fast and easy, the staff there was very helpful, especially for a traveler that was overtired and having a hard time concentrating. I was given a key card and told where my room was. A quick elevator trip to my room. The room itself was larger then expected. There was a small table and chairs, a bench and bed in the living area. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was good size with small toiletries; clean smelling towels and a shower. I was impressed on how clean everything was. Spotless and with no odors. As mentioned in other reviews, I listened for the heavy doors to slam shut….I didn’t hear them at all.

The rooftop pool was a treat with the balcony giving views to the downtown area. In the evening there were many people up there with music and food, nice atmoshere. The front doors were locked after 9pm and so you needed your room key for access. I felt safe as a lone woman traveler there. There is Internet availability there in the lobby; it was sometime crowded, but cheap by any US standard.

Last Kudos was the overnight staff there. I was up very early due to jetlag and the two staff members were very kind and knowledgeable in helping me plan my days sightseeing trips. They mapped out routes and bus stops for me. Looked up ferry schedules. They would rival any large hotel consigners!

If you are looking for a well-priced and safe accommodation this is the place for you. It is somewhat basic, but you could reframe that as the “minimalist” style!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Seetheworld1800
Reviewed 17 March 2008

This is a great hostel. The location is perfect and as others have mentioned, there are loads of great amenities for the backpacker. I stayed 6 nights in a 4-bed dorm. Rooms are spacious with the largest lockers I have ever seen in a dorm room! Be sure to BYO padlock. Beds have individual lights. The bathrooms were clean, kitchens are huge and well-equipped, staff were so helpful. Breakfasts in the hostel's dining room are a pretty good value compared to the local cafes. Short term storage rates aren't bad, either. My only complaint is that it's noisy at night - voices radiate through the hallways, as does the shutting of the heavy doors. The metal bunks are a little squeaky too, but that's common at YHAs in Australia and NZ. Overall, I had a wonderful stay at this hostel and would recommend it very highly.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank RoamingTheGlobe
Reviewed 27 January 2008

This hostel is fantastic! My partner and I stayed here for a week while trying to find an apartment in Sydney, we had a private double room.

It's clean and spacious, the staff are friendly and helpful, there are great facilities: 2 laundry rooms, 2 big kitchens, dinning room, social areas, tv room, cafe, internet stations and wireless, pool, bbq area, and even a pub and nightclub! It's located down the street from Central Station which means all bus and trains are practically on your doorstep. They organise social events for pretty much every night including movies with free popcorn, bbq's, demo scuba diving, themed parties etc.

We were worried that staying in a hostel in Sydney could be loud, dirty and full of drunken teenagers - not this place! There is a great mix of backpackers, Aussie and other tourists, young and old, all nationalities. We've heard some horror stories about other hostels in Sydney so we are so glad we chose YHA Central. We were so impressed we even joined and got a YHA hostel card and plan to stay at other YHA hostels on our trips.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HepKitten
Reviewed 2 December 2007

If you compare this hostel to a hotel you will think it is very basic, but if you compare it to other hostels, I'm sure you will be very impressed! This hostel is right next door to Central Station which is great if lugging bags from the train or bus! The double rooms are spacious and to have an ensuite in a YHA always seems very luxurious!

Unfortuantely the cafe was being refurbished when I stayed, so can't comment on the food there. I found the staff at the reception very helpful and friendly.

I think my only complaint would be that it was a little noisey at night - the door unlocking mechanism was really loud! This wasn't a huge problem but might be if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hufri
Reviewed 28 November 2007

This is a great Hostel. Great price and One of the best that I have stayed in. The rooms are very clean. They have a state of the art Kitchen and a great movie room that shows movies daily. They have a cafe on the premises, however it was under construction during the time that I stayed there. They customer service was excellent. The staff was friendly and was very helpful with information about things to do in the local area. I just loved this Hostel. In fact I left Sydney for about a week and when I came for a few days I stay here again. Great value and great location.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo