“My Favorite place to stay in Sydney”
Review of Sydney Central YHA

Sydney Central YHA
Ranked #11 of 142 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“My Favorite place to stay in Sydney”
Reviewed 13 November 2008

This is a great place to stay and the staff are very helpful

• Stayed August 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This was the second time I had stayed in this hostel, the first time being on a school trip. We chose it for its close proximity to Central Station and the good walking distance to shopping and various other attractions (Darling Harbour, Paddy's Markets) and the good reviews and memories I had of my first visit.

The room was bland, but clean and what I expected of a youth hostel. The shared bathrooms were surprisingly nicer than a lot of other lower budget hotels I've stayed at and clean. I'd actually prefer to stay here than a lot of other hotels I've stayed at. There was a lot of noise and doors banging from other guests frolicking around at night from room to room, but as we were so tired, it didn't bother us. Everything we needed was at a close distance to us from the hostel, and the people at the front desk were nice and a bit flirty, which I liked, hahaha. There's the potential to meet a lot of people as well. During every elevator trip we took people would talk to us, and ladies, if you're into young men from overseas, then this is the place for you. There is a definite potential to meet lots of young, interesting travellers.

I would definitely stay here again, the only real gripe I had was with the breakfasts they offered. I found them to be terrible and would never eat there again, but my friends didn't seem to mind it at all, especially for the price. I suppose I'm a big fan of the buffet breakfast as well so I can't really hold that against them.
Also, when we checked out the pool, we initially thought we were looking at the spa because it was so tiny, a couple of metres in length.

The hostel felt quite safe and secure, although if you venture a bit further past Central Station in the direction opposite from the city, it gets a bit seedy and my girlfriends and I felt unsafe walking there.

I'd suggest this place for young travelers on a budget, who aren't going to be spending a lot of time in their room and aren't looking for anything fancy in the way of food and accommodation.

• Liked — The atmosphere, location and people
  • Disliked — The food and pool
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nushethi
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Central Sydney YHA and thought it was wonderful. The front desk was very nice and helpful. The place has a fun, modern vibe. We got a private double room and it was perfect, no frills but it was fun and functional with some modern decorations. There was a laundry room on our floor, which we definitely would have used if we stayed longer. There was free internet. They had everything that mattered to us. It was pretty quiet even though there were a lot of people around. It was close to the train station in a really great neighborhood. We walked all around and found tons of great restaurants and bakeries. The place is an amazing value. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — front desk
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enceladus
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at Sydney Central YHA as part of our round the world trip.
As we had arrived early our room was not ready, this was not a problem as we could leave our bags in the very secure and roomy locker room. The staff were very helpfull and gave good advice.
We had booked a double en-suit room, the room we were given was wonderful, on the top floor with a great view over the city and loads of room, very clean, with sheet and towels and quiet.
The hostel has a very friendly atmosphere with some great features, roof top pool and sauna, huge self catering kitchen area, plenty of computers in the internet area and a welcoming reception area.
There were plenty of food outlets in the area for those who don't wish to use the hostel faciltys, and ideally located next door to the railway station.

• Liked — The great location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gondolier
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2008

My husband and I stayed in a private ensuite room for 4 nights in August 2008. The location was great, very close to Central Station, Chinatown, and several museums and markets. Our room was just the right size with a table, chairs, and a small bench to place our packs on. It was extremely clean, as were the linens, towels, and bathroom. We had several large windows and a vaulted ceiling, which made the room seem even larger and more inviting. The close proximity to the railway station resulted in some train noise during the night, but it was not particularly bothersome.

The bathroom was a good size and came with plenty of towels, soap, and glasses for water. Water pressure in the shower wasn’t fantastic, but it did the trick. We enjoyed the option of having a convenient, cheap breakfast in the café downstairs. We didn’t use any of the common areas, the on-site bar, or the grocery store, so I can’t comment on those facilities. The hostel is HUGE (8 floors!) and it took a while to get the elevator at times. I’m not sure how the atmosphere was for socializing and meeting people, but we had a lot of privacy in our room.

I’d highly recommend this hostel to anyone, particularly to people wanting a private room without paying a fortune for a hotel room in Sydney!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suprchick77
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed in this hostel in may and i have to say that it was the best one by far! (i stayed in a total of 6 in australia over 1 month) .. i went with 2 other friends and so we stayed in a four person room.. our first impressions of the room were that it was massive! out of all the hostels i stayed in this had the most floor space and lovely big windows overlooking the streets of sydney. The lockers they gave us were all really clean and huge enough to fit our rucksacks (standard backpacking rucksacks) and my hand luggage into it with ease and i felt comfortable knowing that my stuff was securely stowed away whilst i was out and about.

The first night we stayed there was a free salsa night with movie night after and we had a ball joining in with the dancing. the film was also a pretty new one and with the added bonus of free popcorn we quickly settled in! The kitchens were nice and clean and the seating area was really impressively designed and looked new and up-to-date which really matched the rest of the hostel. The pool was also beautiful and clean and the sauna was also really impressive! I felt like i was in a hotel more than a hostel!

There were 5 showers and 4 toliets for the girls and the only entry was with a keycard which made u feel alot safer (although i did forget my keycard a number of times resulting in me being locked out both my room and the bathroom!)

The location is also spot on and isnt tooo long a walk to circular quay/various other activities. Overall this was the best hostel i stayed in and there are so many activities to join in with at the hostel (salsa night, daily movie nights, bbq's on the roof, and sunday trips to aussie rules football) that you just cant help but get involved and meet new people!

• Liked — the facilities
  • Disliked — nothing! it was all great!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank icecreamgirl7988
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,175 helpful votes
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Yes, the location is good.

However for A$98 for a nondescipt single room, I could have enjoyed a better, true hotel room.

'Better value elsewhere' would be my summary.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Spartan
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo