“Quite a rip-off”

Jolly Swagman Backpackers
Ranked #34 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed there for 7 days. Upon arrival I was told no refund. And "that is why travellers should choose their stay carefully". I had no choice but to stay there regardless of how bad it is. I was given only 1 hour internet despite 7 days stay. I needed internet to apply for jobs. I thought that was really unfair. The room was nothing like pictured. The pillow was yellow and disgusting. Room smelt terrible. Carpet was horrendous. The cleaner was one of the backpackers. He did his vacuuming in 3 seconds. The toilet was very inconvenient. They promised help with jobs and everything. When I asked, the brunette lady wasn't nice about it. She was like basically like, 'do you own research'. Free breakfast was also something they use to sound like they care. Kitchen utensils were okay but unfortunately i didn't use much because the place was a whole dissapointment. lucky for me, i stayed with 2 friendly backpackers from England. They too were dissapointed with the place. If you are going for private room for two. I suggest Springfield Lodge just around the corner, less than 1 minute walk away. I stayed there for one night after Jolly Swagman and it was like heaven (Proper hotel with own toilet, fresh towel, made bed) and guess what? Only $79 which is $4 cheaper than Jolly Swagman. Oh, I killed a giant cockroach too!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 255060Shu

Reviewed 15 March 2012

A friend and I booked this hostel last weekend as we were struggling to find accommodation due to the music festival taking place. We had to book two nights minimum, but did not mind this. We were informed that we would be in separate 4-bed dorms but they did not specify at the time that I would be in a mixed dorm (my travel companion is male), luckily I did not mind sharing with guys.

The rooms were not the best but the highlight of this place was it's social area which led out onto the sidewalk (where I met many interesting people not staying at the hostel!). It located in Kings Cross, but found it to be really quiet. They have free breakfast every morning and they give a free hour internet session on arrival.

The TV room has lots of bean bags in it which are really comfortable and reception have DVD's to watch (not sure if you have to pay for this) and there is an Xbox player with separate telly - games available from reception.

The toilets and showers were always kept clean and there are laundry facilities on each floor.

This is my favourite Sydney backpackers hostel and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay somewhere affordable, social and in a great location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CandiceBattley
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here for a week in a double room with my boyfriend. the room had a sink, fridge and small tv. we got a deal for staying a week which was great value. the location was right in kings cross without any noise. we got a free airport pick up, breakfast and one hour free internet. staff were friendly. the negatives are that it was very hot in the room and it only had a tiny fan mounted to the wall. it was hotter inside than outside. also they didn't accept our VIP card as we didn't have the voucher to go with it. overall i would recommend this hostel and i would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2012

After reading the reviews on TA I thought this hotel was going to be great. So I booked it for 1 week. When we arrived it was full of grubby drunk back packers. There was no air conditioning in the rooms, just a little fan in the corner of your room. It's very hard to get to sleep as its boiling. Coachroach in the room, rooms are not the cleanest of places. It seems that the kind of people who stay at this hostel have no intention to explore Sydney except get drunk every day. I find it very sad that people travel thousands of miles to do exactly what they would back home! It's in the heart of kings cross which is again full of odd drunken fools. After comparing prices for food etc with kings cross and the city, the city is supprisingly cheaper! DO NOT STAY HERE PLEASE, it's a RIP OFF!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank tymallo
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Staff were nice and help full when calling from the airport, when we arrived the room had not been cleaned and the bin was full to the brim, unfortuneatly overflowing remenents form the previous nights session, the sheets were dirty and stained and the room felt like someone had just jumpe dout of bed when they heard us coming, having said that once the staff were notified they cleaned dit up straight away and provided clean sheets, I'd stay again if I need a cheap andcheerful place to crash.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2011

The free shuttle took more than two hours to come. And when it did, the ride was more than just haphazard. When we reached the hostel, our bookings were not made, even though we paid. It was a horrid start to out holiday. Yet the counter staff took it in his stride and found a replacement room for us which was even better than what we had booked. He gave us free internet vouchers and also treated us warmly. And that was all that mattered.

Location wise, situated in the red light district, just be carefulwith your belongings at night. Great food around and near to the train station. Definitely worth returning.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Hostel rooms were clean and tidy. Same wih the common areas. Met some nice people and made new friends. Staff was very friendly and helpful. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo