“Great Location, Great Stay”

Sydney Wattle Hotel
Ranked #161 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Location, Great Stay”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in this boutique hotel couple of times on our recent visit to Sydney. We found this hotel to be in an excellent location. It's easy to walk to the major attractions from here (half an hour to the opera house by walk). The reception staff were friendly and accomodating.

The room was warm when we arrived first time and had to spend a few minutes looking for the remote for the air con. We later found it on the wall behind the curtain. Except this, room was comfortable and airy.

Overall, we found this an excellent choice of accommodation. I would recommend the place to anyone, and we'll certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose the King room with Balcony - Superior!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emily A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My room was not serviced once during my four day hotel stay though they advertise daily serviced room. When I asked they said I had to ask them if I wanted the room serviced. One of the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in though they advertise "quiet". Didn't feel safe / secure (glass front entry door which also counts on guests making extra effort to latch shut and frot desk not manned after 10pm). Deadbolt on room door nonfunctional. No phone in room. Family room has no table or desk to work or eat.

• Stayed November 2011

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed here recently.

First off, its a great location, right on Oxford Street itself, so thats a plus there.

Now, i had read some of these reviews before going and had it not been for their cancellation policy, i too would've cancelled. Anyway, it wasnt THAT bad. They have redone the entrance section and, i can only assume, laid new carpets on the stairs and the hallways.

The foyer of our room stunk like smoke and in our room there were cigarette burns on the walls/furniture/bed. The beds themselves were hard, but sleepable. The double glazed windows made the sound of the street bareable and had aircon.

The bathroom was a bit of a shamble. Toilet was cracked, the taps did not turn on/off, one handle even coming off. It was very old and needs replacing. The shower 'squeeled' when running.

Now ALL of these would be forgivable had this been at a budget price, however, at $200/night, for 4 people, it really isnt that good a value. We could've stayed at a slightly more expensive place which would've been value for money.

Plus there is no parking around that area.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Warris2500
Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Second time we stayed here and staff have been great to us!
Geat little organic market with Best Coffee on wknds one block away
This hotel is close to Oxford Art Factory for gigs, next to grog shop and pie face down the road for munch attacks.
Walk out door to pubs, restaurants and awesome shopping. Short walk down to St Marys Cathedral, heritage buildings, statues, museum and parks make this a magnificent walk. Had so much fun both times Thanx Guys!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Austraveller52
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed here with some friends over the past weekend. We decided we needed a place to stay after the night out and stumbled across the Wattle - relatively cheap and right in the heart of Oxford street.

I've read all of the reviews here and yes, while there are some major issues with the place, it is in the middle of renovations. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the lobby - nice and clean with a simplistic modern design. The staircase leading to the rooms are another story, I too smelt the urine and cigarettes smell but I don't doubt this will be fixed during their renovations.

Expecting a dump of a room I was actually very surprised when I first walked in. We stayed in room 105... nothing more than you would expect from a budget hotel, but (surprisingly) it was clean. No sign of cockroaches, clean sheets, walls and bathroom were clean etc. Not too keen on the theme they've gone for with the rooms though - golden curtains and golden framed mirrors but it's clear that they're aiming for a boutique budget hotel with some charm.

I had no issues with the staff. I was served by a kind Asian lady - I really think some people must assume they're rude because they can't get past the language barrier. Sure sometimes she was difficult to understand, but she meant well.

This hotel has a bright future after what apparently was a very dark past. Hopefully this positive review is the first of many to come after the renovations are complete.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ThirteenThirtySeven
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Room standard size for a modern hotel but modern hasn't applied to this place a for a long long time. On arrival I was met by friendly staff with mixed English capabilities. I paid my room bill on arrival but on offering my Amex card was told they had no EFTPOS and was asked to pay cash. I had just arrived and didn't have $178 in my wallet, They eventually found the old click swipe thing and took payment that way. After arrival in my room which was clean but with very old furniture and in desparate need of total refurbishment there was a knock the door. They couldn't take Amex and did I have another card? Gave then my Visa which was now ok. They did bring the previous Amex swipe and destroy it before me. $178 for the two nights plus $10 returnable deposit for the electronic room key

Being a Queenslander and this the middle of winter I felt chill and asked for some heating and was told the a/c was reverse cycle. I turned it on with no joy and informed the staff who came and fiddled with it and said it would be fine in ten to fifteen minutes. It wasn't so they brought me a fan heater which was a bit noisy.

I looked for the in-room tea and coffee, saw the kettle over the kitchen sized sink and eventually found tea gabs, coffee sachets and sugar sachets in a draw on the other side of the room but no milk which i didn't worry about as I don't' take it in tea and don't like instant coffee. However no cups to seen. Went back to reception to request cups which were promptly brought.....no in house phone.

There were wall lights either side of the cheap bed but which was comfortable enough, just. Both lights flickered at a great rate and one or therm died shortly after being turned on.

The bathroom is a mess with a corner sink where the tap runs constantly, not drips, runs ,and there was no plug to be seen. Toiletries consisted of two tubes of conditioning shampoo and one cake of guest soap. Fresh towels were provided on the first night for morning

The hotel is in the thick of things right on Oxford street and not too noisy due to the thick secondary double glazing.

Staff assured me that a massive renovation project was just about to begin..........................

No cafe/ breakfast room or bar. They are outside on oxford street

Photos on hotel website totally misleading

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jucee
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Terrible place a small and dirty room. I was really disappointed. That place is near to collapse. DO NOT STAY THERE !!! (look at photos )

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo