“'wattle' they do with this place?”

Sydney Wattle Hotel
Ranked #160 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“'wattle' they do with this place?”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Room standard size for a modern hotel but modern hasn't applied to this place a for a long long time. On arrival I was met by friendly staff with mixed English capabilities. I paid my room bill on arrival but on offering my Amex card was told they had no EFTPOS and was asked to pay cash. I had just arrived and didn't have $178 in my wallet, They eventually found the old click swipe thing and took payment that way. After arrival in my room which was clean but with very old furniture and in desparate need of total refurbishment there was a knock the door. They couldn't take Amex and did I have another card? Gave then my Visa which was now ok. They did bring the previous Amex swipe and destroy it before me. $178 for the two nights plus $10 returnable deposit for the electronic room key

Being a Queenslander and this the middle of winter I felt chill and asked for some heating and was told the a/c was reverse cycle. I turned it on with no joy and informed the staff who came and fiddled with it and said it would be fine in ten to fifteen minutes. It wasn't so they brought me a fan heater which was a bit noisy.

I looked for the in-room tea and coffee, saw the kettle over the kitchen sized sink and eventually found tea gabs, coffee sachets and sugar sachets in a draw on the other side of the room but no milk which i didn't worry about as I don't' take it in tea and don't like instant coffee. However no cups to seen. Went back to reception to request cups which were promptly brought.....no in house phone.

There were wall lights either side of the cheap bed but which was comfortable enough, just. Both lights flickered at a great rate and one or therm died shortly after being turned on.

The bathroom is a mess with a corner sink where the tap runs constantly, not drips, runs ,and there was no plug to be seen. Toiletries consisted of two tubes of conditioning shampoo and one cake of guest soap. Fresh towels were provided on the first night for morning

The hotel is in the thick of things right on Oxford street and not too noisy due to the thick secondary double glazing.

Staff assured me that a massive renovation project was just about to begin..........................

No cafe/ breakfast room or bar. They are outside on oxford street

Photos on hotel website totally misleading

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jucee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Terrible place a small and dirty room. I was really disappointed. That place is near to collapse. DO NOT STAY THERE !!! (look at photos )

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2010

The room was absolutely disgusting, I found a crack pipe in the drawer and burn marks on the walls. The bed was missing a leg, and you could hear people engaging in sexual acts all through the night.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank concerned1234
Canberra
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I mean it! Take your chances on the street if no other accommodation is available. I travelled with my teenage daughter and we were completely disgusted. Filthy room, broken aircon and cupboard doors, last guest's glitter and pink fluff (!) all over the carpet. Disgusting bathroom complete with resident cockroaches - I made my daughter wear thongs in the shower! Cigarette burns over all the junk shop furniture and a pervading smell of smoke. Gross marks and smears all over the walls - I don't even want to think about what they might have been. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SasCanberra
Queensland
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Absolutely disgusting. I would like to know how I can report this place as it needs to be shut down. All the other reviews are accurate. Words cannot describe how disgraceful this place is. The website is misleading and deceptive and the place is a total disgrace. I really am surprised they are allowed to operate and certainly how they can charge the money they do. We were charged $140 a night for two nights of our stay. We would have gone elsewhere but due to a busy weekend we were stuck here. The bathroom was actually mouldy. They provide no phone, iron, cupboard, hairdryer. The 'daily room service' doesn't include making the bed, but I get the feeling the cleaners know what sort of people usually stay here so i wouldn't make the bed either. We witnessed a sex act going on on the rooftop which was where our room was. The girl then knocked on our door, presumably thinking she had some more business...

Then when we checked out and ask to speak to the manager we were told he wasn't working and a day later we are still waiting for a call back despite going back later in the day and making a phone call to speak to management. They also charged my credit card the afternoon we got there which can't be legal. Appalling. A Current Affair needs to pay this place a visit and have them shut down.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank holidayerQueensland
Canberra AUS
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Where do you start with this hole? Well, firstly they violated NSW consumer law by accepting payment for an advertised room that wasn't available and then downsized us with no offer of compensation. Complained to Gostay.com - no reply. Then on arrival, they sent us away twice because the room hadn't been cleaned. In fact, the only clean thing in there were the sheets. As for the advertised double glazed windows which are a must on drunken Oxford st - unfortunately not all the windows were D-G'd and the party in the laneway below raged into our room until 3am, punctuated by the frequent police sirens. Multiple fixtures broken, 50yo furniture, taps not working or fall off, cracked and loose tiles, tiny bathroom, mouldy, and stinking of smoke. Send in the OH&S inspectors, this place is shamefully poor value and not to Australian standards. The Wattle Hotel is poorly located and makes youth hostels look like the Hilton!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelabit_10
Palm Beach, Queensland
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Disappointing but a lesson learnt hard way Room nothing like photos on website-staircase to room reeked of urine, broken mirror in foyer, broken toilet bowl inside, no bedspread just sheets, [clean at least] no phone, inside electric jug black, airconditioner faulty strongly don't recommend very disgusted and upset.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo