“You get what you pay for”
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

Woolbrokers Hotel
Ranked #127 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Newcastle, Australia
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

If your on a low budget travelling around Australia or wanting a night in Sydney and trying to save your money, give it a look. Its an old building in a good location. Right near darling harbor its a short walk to China Town, Entertainment Center and good restaurants. We stayed as a family of 4 and were put on the top floor in a room with 2 sets of bunks and a double bed.We didn't have our own bathroom as the bathroom facilities are shared. On our floor there was about 5 toilet/shower rooms available. The one closest to our room wasn't very clean. There was no lift so if you don't mind walking up stairs you will be fine but for others I suggest asking for a lower floor room. A bit noisy but where isn't in the city. For a Sydney hotel it was good value but if you want the better facilities you are going to have to pay the extra for them. The service was great and staff very helpful.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Gemma M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I wasn't on a "mission from god", but my stay at Woolbrokers did remind me of "The Blues Brothers" movie. More about that in a bit.

The Woolbrokers is a budget hotel ( $95 a night) located within walking distance to Darling Harbour (3 minutes) and the City (10 minutes). The building is old, but without any charm. Check in was easy and I walked up the stairs to my first-floor room. The room was small with a queen bed taking up most of the space. There was a shelf which supported a rail where you could hang a few shirts. The room also had a sink and a refrigerator.

A shared bathroom was located just down the hall.

High ceilings kept the room relatively cool. There was a fan and a small heater in the room as well. Whilst the room had just been cleaned when I checked in, it felt dirty. Mostly because of the warn carpet, dingy lighting and dusty curtains.

A television is mounted on the wall and provided three or four channels, but with the edges of the picture cut off due to the old 4:3 TV screen.

My room also had two very large windows which could be opened for fresh air. The view was of the motorway entrance ramp. That is what reminded me of The Blues Brothers, and the hotel in Chicago where their room was right next to the elevated train. When I checked in, I knew it would be noisy from traffic; and it was. It was also quite loud due to a school group staying in the floor above me and their running and jumping.

I purchased some ear plugs which allowed me to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor to avoid a steep climb with your luggage.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jetalcott
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I am writing this review from the view of a school group of seventeen 9 to 12 year olds accompanied by a teacher and 7 parents. Well all I can say is thankyou Woolbrokers for making our stay a stress free and well supported one.

Our group was on the top floor (of which we had the whole floor to ourselves) this meant that we had the 3rd floor foyer to meet in and prepare the children for the days/evening events. The bathrooms were shared, but clean and plentiful and the rooms were large. Our hosts at Woollbrokers kept the children happily fed and even arranged packed lunches for each of the days we were there. This included catering for some quite tricky allergies. Only complaint with the food, was that the bigger eating dads accompanying the children left the dinner table a bit hungry due to the small (child size) serving of food.

Our room was a double room and was a little noisy, but we were in the centre of town (only a 2 minute walk to Darling Harbour) so that made up for it. The rooms could do with a bit of a spring clean and a good paint job, but remember we are talking budget accommodation here.

Would highly recommend this motel for a small school group due to location, room orientation and staff support.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank denhamia
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I am in year 6 and came from near Coffs Harbour. I stay in motels very reguarly with my family. After reading reviews here I was worried about sharing a bathroom with the floor. It turned out to be alright. It was relitively clean and comfortable furniture. Negative was the road noise, one time I woke up at 3:30am due to a loud truck. The other members of my room woke up from that aswell. There did seem to be a draft from the window as they were wooden and weren't fit to be practical, just from the olden days when things used to be better. Taking bags up stairs didn't help either, having packed for 1 week, carrying heavy bags up stairs really hurts especially when there is so many stairs in sydney. Food was acceptable but you didn't get to choose dinner, maybe that was because I was with a school group but for breakfast, you had to toast your own bread, no yoghurt, canned pineapple and peach and cearal. Only orange juice. The staff was helpful and friendly. Didnt have any pool or anything to do at the hotel except sleep and eat.
I wouldn't stay for as long as a week probably 1 night because when you get a little amount of sleep and it is a holiday as such it kind of ruins it when you are tired. Dining room was small, broken chairs and tables put together to cater for a room of kids. Floor creaks whenever you walk and the upstairs is very loud. Needs soundproofing. Toilets were alright. I was on the floor above ground and there were 3 shower and toilets and 2 toilets I am pretty sure and didn;t have to wait. But when there is public people they might not be as considerate. Doors were heavy and made noise when they shut because they didnt fit properly. TV was old with few channels but coloured so that was fine. Bunks were noisy but singles were excellent :)

Would only recommend for a school group not for a family looking for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on level 1 as no lifts and be careful about the noise on the floor above you.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blake B
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I arrived during a heavy storm and got to my room and was pleasantly surprised by the good constant hot shower pressure, warm room and the general comfortable feel of the place. It was an extremely short walk to the monorail station, town hall train station and is right next door to Darling Harbour. The receptionist was great tryng to explain how the parking discount worked and next time I come back to Sydney I will be staying here again. Cannot fault it for price or its fantastic location and for the traveller looking to save a bit of money whilst staying at a decent place, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Go the $7.50 breakfast in the morning. Good value and its as much as you can eat
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank homebake
Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

I would expect to pay half of what I did for this place. We had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. Toilette and shower are shared for the floor - and i had to hold the shower head up. The water pipes made freaky noises throughout the night and the bunk beds we're even worse!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank WazJTee

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have stayed at Woolbrokers B&B Hotel in May 2012 for a couple of days. I was looking for a single room for a rather low rate, which I had found.

From the airport Sydney it is accessible via Metro and then Tram, works well.
The staff was friendly. The Hotel has`t been refurbished since ages. Not even the simplest investments to make it more comfortable have been made.

The room was veeery dark, no sunlight coming in, I couldnt even tell if the sun was shining or if it was cloudy outside. There would have been another room with a lot more sun light but also more noise from the road. And the queen sized bed mattress had two deep pits/dents from the last decades of people molding them. Veeery old mattress.
The room in the first floor where I stayed had a queen sized bed (mattress was soft but o.k.) and a shared shower and a shared toilet on the floor.
The room smelled old and musty, letting fresh air in helped only for minutes. The room`s window went to the narrow gap between two buildings, in this gap the hotel`s old fridges were running all night, very noisy.
The worst was the shower curtain. It was covered with black mold and was sticking together. One was watching out not to touch it more than necessary. The cleaning personell avoided that obviously as well. Shower itself and the small sink were clean.
A good thing was the laundra room, where one can wash cloths for 3 dollars and iron them as well. My shirts didnt`get really clean however, but that might have been the wrong machine setting or cheap washing solvent.
I have no idea if there are better places for this rate in Sydney. I hope so. However, I can`t really recommend Woolbrokers unless someone is in a hurry to find something last minute and that`s the only one to find, like in my case.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo