“Large family ideal on a budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

Woolbrokers Hotel
Ranked #124 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Large family ideal on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Great Value for the large room to accommodate our family of 6. Other alternatives in Sydney would have meant 2 hotel rooms at more than double the cost. We had an en-suite in our room and a shared bathroom right outside the door. It was noisy from passing traffic but the location was fantastic for public transport and darling harbour. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Narelle1007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This place has to be be the BEST place for people on a budget. It is only 2 minutes walk to Darling Harbour its CLEAN FRESH and CHEAP. I will always TRY and stay here before any other location when in Sydney

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank GOLDTOUCH
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

If you want a decent anything (night's sleep, shower, wifi connection) you can forget it!
I knew from other reviews that I'd booked a hotel room with a certain amount of soul, but on reflection it was a little too much 'soul' for me - plus - this place can't really call itself a hotel at all. It's definitely more of a hostel.
I was keen to get a room near to Darling Harbour at a reasonable rate (everything else around that area at the time was ridiculously expensive). I was only in Sydney for one night, so I found this place and thought I'd take a gamble.
I was on the second floor, with a room with bars on the windows and a full view of an expressway ramp - with all the associated traffic noise to-ing and fro-ing. Not to mention noises from passers by on the pavement one floor below - AND very noisy guests in the rooms next door and on the floor above. The walls were paper-thin. I ended-up sleeping with the pillow over my head to block it all out!
I had to share a bathroom with just about everyone on the second floor. The taps on the shower were really stiff and took a while to comply, while the water supply itself failed to provide a consistent temperature (one minute attempting to freeze my bits; the next it was trying to boil them.)
During the night and on the following morning, I found myself - on more than one occasion - hopping about the landing, desperately trying to find a free toilet, as someone seemed to be hogging the shared bathroom. I also nearly forgot to take my room key on a couple of occasions, which would have meant locking myself out of my room while in a state of relative undress.
There was no wifi - just a computer near reception with internet for an extra fee.
The room wasn't terribly clean. It smelled damp and I found a pair of socks belonging to a previous guest.
Even for the lesser amount I paid, I don't think this place was terribly good value for money. But the guy on reception was friendly enough and - yes - the location is great. Just 5-10 minutes' walk and you're in Darling Harbour and central Sydney. It's also only a few minutes from the nearest tram stop.
Given that I did actually want a good night's sleep after all my travelling, in hindsight I think I would have opted to pay a little more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room on a higher floor....
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveladdict42

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

The Woolbrokers Hotel is great value for money. Where else in Sydney can you stay two nights, a stone's throw away from Darling Harbour, for less than $200? We were walking distance to public transport, which is fantastic. My partner and I stayed there in August last year and were happy with the service, the room and the amenities avaliable. There are accomodation options for all budgets, but we will definately be staying there again when we travel down to Sydney.

Room Tip: For a little bit more, you can get a room with an ensuit. We stayed on a ground floor room and were...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ali G
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

If your on a low budget travelling around Australia or wanting a night in Sydney and trying to save your money, give it a look. Its an old building in a good location. Right near darling harbor its a short walk to China Town, Entertainment Center and good restaurants. We stayed as a family of 4 and were put on the top floor in a room with 2 sets of bunks and a double bed.We didn't have our own bathroom as the bathroom facilities are shared. On our floor there was about 5 toilet/shower rooms available. The one closest to our room wasn't very clean. There was no lift so if you don't mind walking up stairs you will be fine but for others I suggest asking for a lower floor room. A bit noisy but where isn't in the city. For a Sydney hotel it was good value but if you want the better facilities you are going to have to pay the extra for them. The service was great and staff very helpful.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Gemma M
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I wasn't on a "mission from god", but my stay at Woolbrokers did remind me of "The Blues Brothers" movie. More about that in a bit.

The Woolbrokers is a budget hotel ( $95 a night) located within walking distance to Darling Harbour (3 minutes) and the City (10 minutes). The building is old, but without any charm. Check in was easy and I walked up the stairs to my first-floor room. The room was small with a queen bed taking up most of the space. There was a shelf which supported a rail where you could hang a few shirts. The room also had a sink and a refrigerator.

A shared bathroom was located just down the hall.

High ceilings kept the room relatively cool. There was a fan and a small heater in the room as well. Whilst the room had just been cleaned when I checked in, it felt dirty. Mostly because of the warn carpet, dingy lighting and dusty curtains.

A television is mounted on the wall and provided three or four channels, but with the edges of the picture cut off due to the old 4:3 TV screen.

My room also had two very large windows which could be opened for fresh air. The view was of the motorway entrance ramp. That is what reminded me of The Blues Brothers, and the hotel in Chicago where their room was right next to the elevated train. When I checked in, I knew it would be noisy from traffic; and it was. It was also quite loud due to a school group staying in the floor above me and their running and jumping.

I purchased some ear plugs which allowed me to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor to avoid a steep climb with your luggage.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jetalcott
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I am writing this review from the view of a school group of seventeen 9 to 12 year olds accompanied by a teacher and 7 parents. Well all I can say is thankyou Woolbrokers for making our stay a stress free and well supported one.

Our group was on the top floor (of which we had the whole floor to ourselves) this meant that we had the 3rd floor foyer to meet in and prepare the children for the days/evening events. The bathrooms were shared, but clean and plentiful and the rooms were large. Our hosts at Woollbrokers kept the children happily fed and even arranged packed lunches for each of the days we were there. This included catering for some quite tricky allergies. Only complaint with the food, was that the bigger eating dads accompanying the children left the dinner table a bit hungry due to the small (child size) serving of food.

Our room was a double room and was a little noisy, but we were in the centre of town (only a 2 minute walk to Darling Harbour) so that made up for it. The rooms could do with a bit of a spring clean and a good paint job, but remember we are talking budget accommodation here.

Would highly recommend this motel for a small school group due to location, room orientation and staff support.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends