“Credit to ex employees”

Ranked #35 of 480 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A converted electric station houses an eclectic collection of art and artifacts that celebrate applied science and design. The Powerhouse Museum is also known for kid-friendly interactive exhibits and popular limited-time shows featuring props and design elements from films such as Star Wars and Harry Potter.
Sydney, Australia
“Credit to ex employees”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is one of the museum I used to take my kids to. Outdoor play area, cafe within indoor and outdoor. Good indoor inter activities. Staff very friendly. Even back end staff would help you regardless. You felt they devotion and dedication. That made you feel comfortable going having two kids age 7 and 4. Unfortunately , there has been restructuring within the museum and lots of staff have been made either redundant or left due to the budget. The moral wasn't the same as before and I don't think I will take my kids again.
I hope budget wasn't an issue. and the money saved isn't going to be wasted.

Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 403 helpful votes
“Great for mum, dad the kids.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I use to love taking my children to the Powerhouse Museum on weekends to the different exhibitions. Lots of hands on experiences for the children. Lots of interesting examples of technology through the ages. Also fashion and furniture design. Full size planes, helicopters, steam trains and cars. Over the years there have been some great exhibitions on for a limited period of time such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings. I look forward to visiting more special exhibtions in the future.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Agro_Sydney
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Something for the whole family”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We really enjoyed the Powerhouse museum. My children are 7 and 5 and there was plenty to interest them. They loved the hands on experiences. They both enjoyed the Wiggles exhibition (as did us adults) even though my son is no longer into the Wiggles. I thoroughly enjoyed the Strictly Ballroom exhibit as I had seen the musical on an earlier visit to Sydney. We all enjoyed the space centre and the trains. With 3 levels of exhibits there was definitely something for everyone. We arrived at 1pm and were a bit sad we had to leave at 5pm. I would allow more time next time.

Visited July 2014
Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Not enjoyable”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was really looking forward to getting along to the Powerhouse but first impressions were poor with an 8 minute line up to get into the place (A weekend in the school holidays and only 2 of 4 ticket positions open?) Once finally inside I found the place difficult to navigate, clear signage seems to be at a premium and the supplied guide is next to useless. The 'working' steam engine doesnt and other rest of the museum seemed below par. The Ballroom expo and space exploration sections are perhaps the standout as is the Locomotive but overall a major dissappointment and not wotth the entrance fee.

Visited July 2014
Christchurch
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Not just for kids!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a great little museum, ideal for a few hours if the weather isn't too good.
It's a real mixture - a space travel section, trains & steam engines and toys and when we visited some great (included) exhibitions on fashion, local students' inventions & ideas and an amusing comic inventions & contraptions section.
Nice little cafe too.