“even if you just need a budget one, you can still have a better choice” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elephant Backpacker

Elephant Backpacker
Ranked #84 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Canberra, Australia
“even if you just need a budget one, you can still have a better choice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

1.No internet. Although it said it provides the internet on website, the internet is actually too slow to work. I cannot see the front page after three hours "connecting" on to the internet.
2.No hot water. Ok, it may be my fault because the kitchen closed at 10. But while I ask if there is hot water for drinking or can I borrow the cattle, they ask me to go to toilet.
3. No BLANKET. It was terrible... it's cold in Sydney but no blanket only a sheet. after complaining cold, the stuff complained complain back and said it's true 'cause they have a few blankets but don't know where are they.
4. No breakfast. Because it is cheap. I can understand.
5. Staff are unhelpful, always answer "I don't know." I ask about the vivid Sydney which is the first thing on their website front page, the most frequent response is "Sorry , I have no idea"
6. Dirty, bed bugs, cockroaches every where in the kitchen. well, you'll get used to it though...

Even a cheap price, I will suggest you find another place.
what I don't believe is that, the stuff ask me to be satisfied with this cheap price. "You can not expect too much."
I knew, I knew. But the basic need like a blanket should not be too over, isn't it?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for three nights. Was put off by all the bad reviews so dropped in and asked to see the room first. Was pleasantly surprised and would recommend it

- Nice character in this big old high ceiling building
- Rooms have plenty of floor space and lockers
- Service was excellent. Super helpful and made me really feel at home
- Cafe has some good deals
- Good big kitchen / because you have to request the pots it means they are always clean :)
- Walking distance to CBD -> use the super fast escalator tunnel across the road (access in the carpark)
- True, there were some cockroaches to be seen. But it's a big old building and this is quite common in backpackers, if you can't handle a cockroach.... stay at home and save money until you can afford fancy hotels! :p

2 Thank Rachel G
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at the Elephant for a total of 6 nights two times while I visited Sydney. You definitely get fresh sheets, but you have to ask reception for a blanket. The room is relatively big especially since there are 6 people in there. As for the bathroom it was adequate for showering, it wasn't very busy when I stayed there. The kitchen/ communial area was ok a little small and a lot of the guests never cleaned up their dishes at night so it became quite messy. The location was convenient to walk around town and down to the harbor. All in all for me it was a bed to sleep in so it fulfilled its purpose.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Pieta M
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

It ain't the Hilton. But it's cheap, clean, friendly, and accessible to whatever you might want to see in Sydney. Nice bar in hostel on ground (Elephant Bar), vending machines for drinks, free internet, nothing to complain about, as long as you don't need every comfort.

Room Tip: Walking distance to Harbour Bridge and Vivid festival!!!
1 Thank Christopher T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was referred by a friend who stayed here before. My group of four stayed together in one room with a beautiful view of Sydney. It is a few minutes walk to the all the great attractions of Sydney. The facilities are good, clean. The staff are friendly, helpful and attentive. The hostel has a cafe within which serves great food for unbelievable prize (where else can you get a pizza for 10 dollars drink included). We are quite happy and would highly recommend it to any traveller to Sydney.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deborah A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I made the booking for a group of 8 and then I read the reviews and started to panic. I could'nt get anywhere else to sleep all 8 of us in the one room so I had to stick with it. I was really surprised with it and we all had a good time. Yeah the place aint perfect but it had what we needed. Room was massive compared to other places I stayed and CLEAN when we checked in which I was expecting at all. Bathrooms were cleaned regulary. They even shut my floor down while I stayed there to clean toilets and showers which was a bit annoying but opened quicky enough and was worth it to keep them clean. We didnt cook as we were a big group and used the cafe while we stayed there. its a must, the food is amazin!!! All in all the place isn't perfect but for what we paid I couldn't ask for more. I think some people on these reviews need to relax a bit....:0

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank emjay67x
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Elephant Backpacker is a good place to stay especially if you are a solo traveller wanting to meet lots of people. There is a good bar downstairs with a good atmosphere and to meet people. I stayed in a 8 bed dorm which was spacious and had plenty of lockers. They have a luggage room to store bags when you are waiting to check in or after you have checked out, and will let you shower before checking in if you want. The showers are clean and well maintained. The rate is great given the location so close to the city. Would recommend this place as a good base to stay in Sydney.