“Worst hostel I've ever stayed at”

Elephant Backpacker
Ranked #89 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
“Worst hostel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The location is pretty good, the mattress was comfortable and the room was ok. Everything else was terrible:
*The kitchen was really dirty with bugs everywhere, and without any utensils - you have to go to the reception every time you want to cook
*Half of the toilets were blocked
*The showers weren't clean and some rubbish stayed on the floor there for days
*They don't give you a blanket unless you ask, when I asked for one the girl at the reception told me they don't have any more because all the guests were cold and wanted blankets - well that's kinda obvious un July it's WINTER!!! And to top all that they have bed bugs, I woke up with some really nasty bites still itchy a week later.
*The atmosphere wasn't really social, it seemed like most guests stayed there long term..
*And what I think was the worst is the staff! Unhelpfull, unfriendly and sometimes even RUDE! Not all of the workers but the majority of them
So yes it's cheap, but if you ask me I wouldn't pay even a dollar for what you get.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed for 1 month. It is a good place to stay. Staffs are friendly and nice. The hostel is clean and in a great location. They give you discount tickets for café so you can save money, and the food was soo good!! overall it is a great place and I will stay again.

Room Tip: the third floor is much quieter i found.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I spent a night here over a weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. For $19 for a 6-bed female dorm, I wasn't expecting very much, so was impressed by what I got. I read some of the reviews and honestly some people expect too much when they book a hostel. The hostel is right opposite a park bordering the city centre so the location is convenient. The bed was comfortable, and the room was relatively quiet, given that it is situated on a busy road. The staff were attentive, helpful, and even remembered my name! There were lots of people there, all in a similar age range (mostly backpackers) which made for friendships and lots of fun. The other amenities were basic but clean, which was good. A lot of reviews moaned about the cleaning but it is fine - the main offenders are other guests. Would consider staying here again short-term.

Room Tip: Cafe has good food - not worth trying to use their busy kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

From reading other people's reviews, staying at this hostel is a bit of a gamble. Before I booked I'd seen bad reviews and thought people might be over-reacting. I'm not precious! But this hostel was the worst I've stayed in Sydney, luckily I was only there one night. First of all we went to our room which had two beds but only one blanket, so we went to reception to ask for another blanket. The lady at reception just said "Sorry, we're out of blankets." The minimum I expect is a blanket on your bed in winter, especially as there were signs on the walls saying using your own sleeping bag is not allowed. Instead I bought a used towel (she said "don't worry, they've been bleached" which made me laugh as it was a brown towel) which I used for my blanket. My other complaint is that in over 12 hours the toilets weren't cleaned, there was liquid over the floor and the baths were dirty. I skipped my shower that day!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Felicitybrb

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Orange, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed there in winter. It was cold at night and they said they would provide a doona or extra sheet if you ask. So I asked for a doona and they gave me only an extra sheet. I am not sure if they have enough number of doonas to meet guests' demand, especially in winter. The hostel was the cheapest in Sydney, but I regretted staying there instead of paying extra few dollars and staying in another hostel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank misocutlet
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and everything was fine. Of course it is nothing special but it was the cheapest hostel I found in Sydney and even so it was better than expected. The bathroom is shared but clean and working correctly, also the hot water. No breakfast is included but they have a cheap café attached to the hostel. The hostel is located close to the city centre and as I said, considering the price and so on, I think it is a very good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

PRO
- nice cafe with nice food for good prices
- excellent location
- free wifi

CONTRA
- not clean at all
- cockroaches in rooms, kitchen, bathrooms and even IN BED !!!
- unfriendly manager, who doesn't care about your concerns
- kitchen is closed and cleaned (not really cleaned, but at least they pretend to) at 5pm
- luggage room can't be locked
- bathrooms are discusting- old underwear lying there for days
- no cooking equipment provided in the kitchen, you have to go to reception and ask for every single item

--> I know it's rather cheap, but still too expensive for what you get. Choose another hostel, seriously, or you end up with bedbugs!

Room Tip: there is no good room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends