“A bit "meh"”

Ranked #76 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
New York City, New York
“A bit "meh"”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was booked by my employer on a recent business trip.

Standard, generic mid-range business hotel close to Central Station. Staff are professional but not in the least friendly, and you really get the sense you are just a number.

I was allocated the accessible room which is a pet hate of mine, but I suppose the hotel must have been full. The downside to the accessible room is that the shower is just a hose on a wall and ends up spraying all over the entire bathroom, making the floors quite wet. The floor in the shower was slippery, almost dangerously so.

The room was quiet and relatively clean. The rooms look directly into another building so blinds must be down all day which makes the room feel quite gloomy.

The smoke alarm had a plastic bag over it, I presume from the previous guest, but should have been checked and removed by housekeeping.

Dining options in the evening are a bit limited but a short walk to Crown St or to Chinatown. The area is a little seedy but not unsafe.

All in all, the Sebel delivers all it promises to, but I wouldn't actively promote it or seek to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel.

Please be rest assured, your feedback will be taken on board and used to help improve the hotel.

I hope that this experience does not stop you from visiting us in the future.

The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The ladies at the front desk made me to recall of Edgar Allan Poe’s stately Raven, especially the female staff named Stephanie. Stephanie’s monotone only voiced a single word ”No!” whatever I asked for, for all 3 shifts I met her. At my check-out, this lady tried to refuse accepting my payment of combination of local currency and credit, until I proved that another front desk staff promised me to do so when I checked-in. After the bill was settled, the naked bill was given to me until I asked for an envelope. I never experienced such a poor professionalism at the front desk in any hotel with 3+ stars.

Concierge of this hotel is nearly not an existence. I called the concierge desk a few times from my room and never got an answer. When asking for a place for breakfast, the only recommendation was this hotel for AU$22 per head, which was proven over-priced comparing what you can get from a corner restaurant for about half the price. Slow internet with expensive hourly price is also thing I dislike, besides its location on a busy street.

The best part of the hotel itself was its cleanness. The clearing staff on 8th floor was very friendly and careful. To thank her good service, I left some tip on my bed table, but the money was not taken and the room was done as perfectly as the first day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank The_world_traveler89
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing the time taken to leave feedback regarding your stay at the hotel.

Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for service you received during your stay. This is not how we want to treat our guests and I am disappointed at the memories you will take away from your visit.

Please be rest assured that this feedback will be treated with in a serious matter.

Once again, I apologise for the way you were treated during your stay. I hope this does not deter you from returning for a much more positive experience.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We booked this hotel as a "secret hotel" off a booking site and we couldn't have been happier. We had a King Room which was a good size with couch, coffee table,desk and chair. The room and all other areas of the hotel were clean. The pool and spa were nice. There was also a nice coffee shop and a nice bar/restaurant at the hotel.The location is great - just a short walk to the China Town and Paddys Market area and from central station and light rail stations. The free city circle bus also is vertically at the door, as is the bus to Coogee Beach. We enjoyed 7 nights at this hotel and would definitely pay normal prices to stay here again.

Room Tip: The pool wasn't noisy but I don't think I would want one of the rooms around it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abbymac4
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney.

It was very pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel. We are very happy that you were able to enjoy our facilities and the surrounding attractions of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back on your next escape to Sydney.

Shavertown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We had a wonderful stay here and have no complaints! The people at the front desk were very nice and helpful with everything. The bed in the room was beyond comfortable, we slept like babies. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet daily. It was pricey, but for all that you got, unbeatable. Fresh fruit, a wide variety of hot breakfast foods as well as cereals and yoghurts. Fresh juice and unlimited fresh brewed coffee. We found getting vouchers from the front desk saved us 11 Dollars a person, versus paying at the buffet. We took advantage of this and it was added to our tab. We were a 5 minute walk to the bus stop and maybe 10 to the Central Train Station. We took advantage of a Railpass that covered three zones with Bus, Trains and Ferries for 61 Dollars a person which was good for 1 week. We took all public transport to Palm Beach, Coogee Beach and too Manly Beach. Rather then walk to the Harbor, we would jump on a bus. It was fun and quite easy. Would definitely recommend the Sebel Surry Hills!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,884 helpful votes
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Feel a bit like liv984 - after the Sebel in Adelaide, I probably expected more. They try to resurrect the glamour of the old Sebel Townhouse in Elizabeth Bay with photographs of pop stars around the walls but there is no comparison in the class and quality. The rooms are very basic and ordinary - white walls , no taste or style. It's a very practical and basic hotel with no frills but probably best for its location near Central railway and easy access to the airport - not close to the normal tourist haunts but easy to get to with nearby transport.
Expensive for what it is. Internet is expensive (unless you are Platinum) but Platinum members don't get much else here because the hotel is typically full. Buffet breakfast is very ordinary - can't bear cold bacon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business