“Good place,staff in space!”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #77 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here on the weekend when we went to the Easter show.The location of the hotel,an easy walk to Central station,is very good and it was also an easy walk to Chinatown.We were given an upgrade to a spacious suite as our booked room was not available.The room was clean and comfortable.However,the staff seemed not to know much about the benefits for Rydges members,did not offer the advertised complimentary drinks etc.I noticed others having problems with additional charges on check-out as well.I think this will be a good base for tourists visiting Sydney once the teething problems are sorted out as it is a good spot for cheap transport all over the city.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Blair W, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time review your stay – always good to get a positive and constructive review from such a top contributor. Since the rebrand we’ve undertaken a number of training and refresher courses on the Rydges brand and Priority Guest Rewards program.
Good tip on the high floor – you can also request a laneway facing room to avoid the traffic

There are newer reviews for Rydges Sydney Central

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Located a bit out of the way from the city. Found the room good and the staff were good to advise on things to do. But a fair walk up to the city. Is good near to the central station which has other advantages.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay - glad you enjoyed your holiday with us!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed 3 days for business and the room was spacious with all the amenities. Lift is a little slow and location is about 700m walk to Central Station. I would have given this hotel a higher rating if not for last night's incident. There was a roach under the couch that really freaked me out. Can't believe this was happening to a hotel like this. I called house keeping but no one came and I had to call Reception. The chap came up fairly quickly armed with a insect spray and apologised for this but honestly, the damage was already done. Despite him spraying the place and looking for it, the damn thing disappeared and only showed up again after 10 minutes after he had left. Thankfully, he left the spray behind. To make matters worse, I had to now lay in a room filled with insecticide spray and watch that creature crawl back under the sofa. Needless to say, not coming back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Oh dear, really sorry to read about your experience. These little critters are a feature of all Australian cities and we do have a contracted pest control company that conducts routine services to avoid such an occurrence, we’ve since had them into treat the rooms again and will monitor this closely.
All the best

Reviewed 11 April 2014

In stayed in this hotel for 1 night on a business trip. After and exhausting day I just wanted a drink from the mini bar and to my surprise - I found a tiny packet of milk in the fridge. Not the hotel you would want to relax in after a hectic day at the office.

I would probably rate this hotel higher if I were in Sydney as a tourist, it's extremely close to Central station, the city and just about every other amenity. The rooms are huge ( I asked for an upgrade to a room with a balcony and it only cost an extra $20). pay for the breakfast at check in its about $15 cheaper than paying on the day.

This hotel is favoured by large tour group companies so be careful at check in and check out.

Other than that you pay for what you get and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again, probably not if I were on business but certainly if I were a tourist.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Pay for breakfast at check in and save a lot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Blair W, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Yikes! Milk only in the mini bar…..Mini bar looks a whole lot better now – you can enjoy a superb selection on treats from the new Rydges Mini Bar. Good tip on breakfast too – we’ve just launched ‘RISE’ our trade mark Rydges breakfast – this is on special when you book on our website at rydges.com and at the moment $22 if you book at check in.

Hope you’ll give us another chance on your next business trip. If you do, please drop me a line to book and I’d be happy to provide a mini bar credit.

Blair_wallace@rydges.com

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I'm surprised the GM has time to spend on TripAdvisor responding to other travelers while there is this much drama going on at the hotel right now with their online booking service and it seems no one there is capable of sorting out our booking or even calling us back.

We tried to book a hotel room here last year when we were in Sydney through Wotif (and received confirmation through Wotif), but when we called to confirm with the hotel in days before we were leaving for Sydney, we were told that our card declined so the booking had been cancelled. There was plenty of money on our card and they never even bothered to contact us to let us know there was a problem.

We obviously had to stay somewhere else that time since all their rooms were booked, but I have still always wanted to stay here, so we have a trip planned next week for four nights and thought we'd give them another chance. We booked through the Sebel online website payment gateway last Saturday, so we wouldn't experience the Wotif drama again and so there wouldn't be any problems. We called on Sunday/Monday to confirm, as again our card had not been charged despite having plenty on it. This time we were told there was computer dramas and they would let us know by the following day once it was sorted and that 100% we would have a room, and on being pressed assured us we'd have an answer (and they would call us back to advise) within 24 hours.

The next day we were not called and our card was not charged. We called again last night as by now our trip is becoming quite close (6 days away) and we really wanted the perfect weekend in a perfect hotel with a lovely room, etc. Last night we were told that they can't check until the morning and to call back then. I have never found it so hard to book a hotel in all of my life.

This morning we have called again and given all our information/booking references for a third time, and they still can't find anything and now need us to email them.. suffice to say, we're not off to a good start. At this stage it looks like my holiday may be ruined a second time by this hotel. Stay tuned, we will keep TripAdvisor up to date with dramas as they develop...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KateSwain1986

Hi Kate,
Sounds like the booking process did not go at all to plan here! Hard to comment on this one Kate as we have not long taken this property over and rebranded the Rydges Sydney Central . From your comments, it looks you’ve made the booking in the weeks leading up to the change-over. With some bookings from Wotif.com these are on a pre-paid deal and if a card does not go through successfully the booking may be cancelled.
Rest assured we do love to take hotel reservations!

I’d be happy for you to contact me directly if I can be of assistance in the future.

Blair_wallace@rydges.com

I hope your holiday to Sydney worked out in the end…..
Blair Wallace
Rydges Sydney Central

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Sebel is a step above a budget hotel. For some reason it does attract a lot of business clientele. It's on the edge of Surry Hills, not really at the heart of the hip neighborhood (maybe that's why it recently took Surry Hills out of its name and now goes by Rydges). You have to walk up the hill to get to the heart of Surry Hills. Instead, the hotel is surrounded by a lot of backpackers hotels. It is within walking distance of the Central Station, which makes it convenient if you're traveling to various parts of the city on the train. The lobby wi-fi isn't that strong, and you end up having to pay for the cable internet in the rooms. The room itself was clean and fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our suite at the Sebel was an amazing room with a huge amount of space and beautifully set out. I am, however quite disappointed at being overcharged for our Accor inclusive breakfast and not receiving my brand new face cream which was left in the bathroom back from housekeeping. It makes it seem like the staff at this hotel are not honest. Losing a $50 cream and being over charged over $100 has left doubt in my mind that I will use hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 50tarreal
Sebel S, General Manager at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Sebel Surry Hills Sydney.

I was disappointed to read that you had a bad experience during your stay. At your earliest convenience, could you please contact the hotel on (02) 9289 0000 so we can try and resolve this issue?

Kind Regards,