“Nice spot”

Rydges Sydney Central
Ranked #79 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked a night on last minute and got a great deal. Was greeted by friendly staff, and the room was just fine for the three of us. The kids had a ball in the indoor pool/spa and we even used the well equipped gym. It's well positioned and is good value, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark P
Blair W, Director of Sales at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Hi Mark, Thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.
Kind Regards, Jenny

Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute for a quick mid-week stay commuting through Sydney. I was disappointed that despite calling the hotel at 8:30pm for an 11:30pm check-in and an early check out the next morning that they could not offer me any deal better than the $169 I paid.

After checking in and reading the tips about requesting a higher level room because of noise, I requested a higher room than the one given to me on Level 2. Having booked only a few hours earlier online I knew fully well that when the reply was “we are fully booked out”, that they didn’t give much of a care at all. The manager ended giving me a backroom on Level 2 and whilst there was a dull sound of the train, the room was relatively quiet. Having had a long day of travel and it being late night, I didn’t argue the fact that there were two single beds instead of a king bed for me a single traveller. I didn’t pay $169 for a single bed!

The room itself was clean, modern and spacious. I wouldn’t hesitate with returning to the hotel if I was returning to Sydney. It is very close to Central Station, which is why I booked and is easy walk to Hyde Park and beyond.

The staff were lovely and friendly the next day, they easily stored my bag and coming back to collect it Poppi still had a smile on her face.

I realise it is Sydney and hotels are hot property, but I do think the hotel was overpriced and there does need to be some allowance for quick stays considering it is the closest hotel to Central Station.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Blair W, Director of Sales at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Please be assured we do care very much about our guests we try to accommodate all their requests unfortunately we can’t always help with room move requests especially when we are busy. Our rooms do normally have a King bed or 2 singles, please let us know when you next check in if you have been allocated the incorrect room type and we can get one of our staff to fix that for you. Poppy is great and always very friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards, Jenny

Reviewed 6 July 2014

So handy,good access by rail from airport to Central station, then an easy walk to hotel. Room small but everything you need. Breakfast was adequate,. Bar next door, good restaurants close by.
Will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is a definite positive for the hotel. We hope to see you at the hotel again soon.
Cheers, Jenny

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We first received notification that the Sebel was now a Rydges,we took up an offer for the opening specials and were satisfied with every aspect of service provided by the front of house staff, the professional and courteous manner in which they greet you was fantastic.Even housekeeping are happy to help in any regard and not just go through the motions to satisfy.The bar staff, especially a young guy named Lachlan who was genuine in asking how your day had been and very polite.The room was the balcony type and we love it,clean, spacious and I didnt notice the trains at all.This hotel has been a frequent for us when in Sydney and this month will be our 3rd return visit since opening making a total of 6 -7 nights with the same high standard.This is our base for Sydney accommodation.Darren J

Room Tip: All you have to do is ask the staff they will be honest on best room type
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Darren, thank you for your lovely review. We do have some great staff members in our team and Lachlan in the bar is great, always friendly and welcoming. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Really wonderful staff, nice food, clean rooms and bathrooms. However a king bed is simply two singles pushed together (I know this happens all the time) but instead of putting one sheet over two beds to hold them together, there was two single sheets and the beds kept moving apart, not a big drama if you're not a cuddly couple, but a bit of an issue if you are.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johanna T
Blair W, Director of Sales at Rydges Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Johanna, thank you for your review. Please be assured this isn’t normally the standard of the King Bed and they are normally zipped together with King sized sheeting on them. It seems as though something was not quite right for your stay so my apologies!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My parents, my 3 children and I stayed here for one night when we came to watch the Wallabies. I had booked it on Wotif as a mystery deal and was really impressed with its proximity to the stadium and SCG. We had two rooms between the 6 of us and was pleasantly surprised to find a very comfortable sofa bed set up in each room for the kids, I had expected them to sleep in with me. The rooms were a decent size and the beds at Rydges are always comfortable.
We checked in and walked straight up to Allianz which only took 15 mins which was fantastic. The hotel is only a 5 min walk to Central station so you are really close to all the CBD has to offer, we actually caught the light rail line down to Chinatown for dinner and walking back late at night felt quite safe.

The buffet breakfast was ok, not the best one I have had but the kids loved it and it was very reasonable. If you are staying here and looking for something more up on Crown street is a Bills which has the best breakfast in Sydney.

Overall I was really happy with the motel, it was very clean, shower pressure was good, rooms were big, beds comfortable and the staff very friendly and helpful. I would certainly stay here again if I was going to anything up at Moore Park.

Room Tip: We didn't use the pool but did walk up and have a look, its on the 4th floor and it does smell l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole G

Hi Nicole, Thank you for your great review! I’m glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are very fortunate to be in a great location close by to all the attractions around Sydney. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cheers, Jenny

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is your typical Rydges accommodation offering fairly clean rooms and a comfortable bed without too much else. We stayed at the rear of the hotel on the same level as the indoor pool and cant say the view was anything special which probably explains why the blinds were down. We generally stay at Rydges World Square when staying in the city and I would rate it ahead in every aspect however for the price I paid here Rydges Sydney Central is excellent value for money and add parking to the equation and it wins hands down. If you are looking for standard accommodation close to Central Station or Surry Hills then this place ticks all the boxes. As far as the restaurant goes I would recommend eating at one of the numerous eateries close by as the Hotel restaurant is expensive and offers nothing special in food or ambiance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are working on our F&B offerings as we speak, today we are re-launching our Bar Surry Hills which will also have an Italian Kitchen there will be plenty of atmosphere in there! Hopefully we can welcome you back to try it soon.