“handy and comfortable. very pleasant place to stay when in Sydney”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #66 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 13 April 2013

busy night in Sydney on Friday night. very conveniently placed hotel in the middle of the city but still in the quiet business centre of the city.
the staff are very welcoming and pleasant
our room was small but well appointed and comfortable. It was positioned near the lift well which was an unfortunate position as all night we heard loud voices from guests getting in and out of the lifts. the walls are too thin for the rooms in that position.
excellent buffet breakfast

Room Tip: ask for a room as far away from the lift well as possible
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am truly delighted that you had the opportunity to experience offering, in particular Garden Court Breakfast, which is certainly something that we are very proud of.

At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth we constantly aim to deliver a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am delighted that our location, product and services afforded you a memorable stay.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel again in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for five nights, left for five nights and came back for one more night. I have stayed in several other Sofitels and this one was not like the others. First, reception could not get our reservation straight and did not answer my emails prior to our stay confirming some details. Once we checked in we thought is was straightened out until the next morning we were locked out of our room and had to go back to reception. As to the room it was quite small for a superior king with absolutely no drawers to put our clothes in and only one luggage rack. This was not exactly great on our backs as we had to bend over to get our clothes out of three pieces of luggage. The charge of AUD 27.50 for 24 hours was outrageous and I only used it once. It was cheaper to go to the McDonald's and get a coffee AND free WiFi. Anything from the mini fridge as well as the water in the room was grossly overpriced; cheaper to get bottles of water from the 24 hour store down the street. While the restaurant and lounge food was good it was also very pricey (AUD 25 for a cup of mac n cheese with 4 small lobster bits). The concierge was absolutely wonderful and helpful any time we asked. They were the best part of the stay. Having said all of the above about prices, we do understand that Sydney is extremely pricey but there are some things mentioned above this hotel could do better about.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are nice, except on Friday nights when there is a band and hundreds of pe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review.

While it is wonderful to read you found the efforts of our concierge memorable; I do sincerely apologise for the other elements of your stay that were not so positive.

I have passed each of the points of your review to the relevant department manager to investigate as to why these points would have occurred.

Our Executive Committee also review the pricing of the internet on a regular basis to ensure the offering that is provided is of similar standard to the other hotels throughout Sydney.

Once again; thank you for taking the time to complete the on line survey, I do hope that one day we may welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Sofitel, the first as part of the Addams Family package plus an additional night to explore more of Sydney. We have stayed in many 5 star hotels all over the world and I found the Sofitel lacked some of the little added touches that go hand in hand with "Five Star". We were amazed to find that WiFi was not free as that seems to be a standard in most places we stay, $9 for a bottle of water left by our bed was outrageous (again, in most 5 star hotels this would be complimentary), there were a few dubious marks on the walls (one by the side of my bed looked very much like blood and was very off-putting), and although robes were supplied it would have been nice to have been given a pair of towelling scuffs.

The Addams Family theme in the hotel was very well done and our package included a dinner for two in the Garden Restaurant prior to the show. Unfortunately our dinner was scheduled for 6pm (when the restaurant opens), however we did not receive our main course until 6.40pm and the show commenced at 7pm. We had to forego dessert and gulp down our delicious dinner to get to the theatre in time. And we ended up not making the opening of the show and were 'locked out' for the first 15 minutes or so - very disappointing.

Having said all of the above, I have to say that the staff at the Sofitel were definitely 5 star, from the reception staff, to the concierges and the waitresses in the Garden Room Restaurant. An absolute credit to this establishment.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write.

While it is wonderful your overall stay with us was positive it is very disappointing to read the other points such as the delay at dinner and therefore the start of your show.

I do know that our Restaurant Manager has amended the opening time of the restaurant to ensure guests attending the Addams Family show will make it on time. I do once again apologise that this was not the case for your stay.

In regards to the internet and pricing of water; our Executive Team do ensure that our product is in line with the market offers provided throughout Sydney.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I needed a last minute room in Sydney so I booked my room though “Hotwire,” it was one of those secret hotel deals where they won’t tell you the hotel until you actually book it. I arrived at the beautiful Sofitel when I checked in I was treated like royalty. I was given my key and I made my way to my room. I opened the door and was completely blow away by how small the room was, I was definitely being punished for booking through a “Hotwire” deal, I was given the room that no none wants to get. I sat down on my bed to take in the room, I then got up and looked out the window, it was face to face with a big wall (see photo) and then I had a weird thought, where was the bathroom?? I looked around the room and saw no bathroom door and then by eyes caught what appeared to be a closet door, I opened that up and sure enough it was the bathroom (see photo) After a long day of travel I decided to take a shower, I opened up the shower door and the tile had MOLD all over the grout. This is a Sofitel NOT a Motel 6, there is NO excuse for mold in the shower (see photo). I called the front desk and asked for another room they told me they were "completely booked." The funny thing was that when I checked in they offered me an upgraded room with breakfast for an additional $80...why wasn't given this room?? I ended up checking out the next day. Oh and the internet, a complete rip off! It was $27.00AU for basic super slow speed, if you wanted a faster connection you had to pay by the MB.

I would never stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlwaysGl0beTr0tting

It is with sincere regret that I read your comments regarding your Sofitel experience. I cannot apologise enough for the issues that you encountered and I encourage you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com.

Please may I assure you that no matter how you make your reservation it does not impact on the type of room that you are allocated throughout the hotel. We appreciate that some of our rooms maybe of different size travelers are used to; we pride ourselves on our service and the history of the building as well as the Sofitel brand.

Thank you again for your honest feedback; I do hope to hear from you so we are able to better improve our services for future guests.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Extemely helpful and friendly staff, food was amazing.Our room ws clean and quite and the bathroom was srunning. Loacted in the heart of the CBD very easy to locate. Loved the buffet breakfast. Had to wait a little for afternoon coffee but was well worth the wait. Will definately stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

It is with great pleasure that I read your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am delighted that your enjoyed your experience and I am most pleased that we lived up to your expectations. Our location is certainly very central and it is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast.

Thank you again for taking the time to write; I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Writing this from the hotel - it's definitely not up to 5-star or Sofitel standards. Promises much - you get the classic Sofitel 'smell' when you step inside to the candle lit lobby. Unfortunately, the rooms leave much to be desired. I was persuaded to pay a surplus to 'upgrade' my room, but - although clean - the upgraded room is really no better than what you'd find in a Holiday Inn. Heritage building means you get a tiny little prison window, but it doesn't matter too much - there is no view. I can though enjoy the person above banging around as they stomp around their room.

The bathroom is tiny, with plenty of black mould.

Wifi is fast, but only limits to one device per room - hmm....

All in all I feel a bit ripped off - especially as I paid an upgrade on arriving. I'd hate to think what my original room looked like!

Won't be back.

2  Thank pkfrancis

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your, and our, expectations.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and invite you to contact me on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com so that we can focus our attention on improving our offering for future guests.

Thank you for your comments and I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

As part of a package we had High Tea at the Sofitel before going to the Addams Family Show, and what a way to get in the mood for the show. The restaurant was decorated in the Addams Family theme and looked amazing. Our sever was very friendly and explained our choices of teas and gave us a menu which listed everything that we would receive as part of our high tea. The food was all Addams Family themed. A couple of the items were a little on the unusual side (the jelly bloody mary) but everything else was amazing, both in the way it looked and tasted. There was an abundance of food and no one needed dinner before the show, we were all so full.
This was a real treat and can't fault the food or the service.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

I was delighted to read your comments and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, we constantly strive to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations.

It is wonderful to read that you also enjoyed the Addams Family High Tea in the Soiree at the Wentworth Lounge; I will be sure to communicate your comments to our Executive Chef and ambassadors of the lounge have worked very hard to present a themed high tea.

Thank you again for your time; and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon; possibly for our next themed high tea.

Hotel manager