“What a let down”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #56 of 176 Hotels in Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Its funny how there are different views on this hotel. As a frequent traveler I wld suggest this is not a true 5 star hotel - more 4.5 star.
Why? Shower over bath. No soundproofing on balcony doors, lots of noise from above room and below 5th floor restaurant (don't stay on 6th floor), limited staff at check in, smallish bathrooms, smallish rooms, no desk lamp at work table. We had a conference rate at $220 so probably a 4 star price anyway so I shouldn't be complaining, right! I think flexible internet rate around $260 so that is probably not 5 Star luxury hotel pricing either so perhaps they just need to change their pitch and drop the "luxury" from their description and just stick to 5 star!
There were definitely some 5 star elements. The public area decor was excellent, the quality of the conference facilities and the food was excellent, the concierge some of the best i have come across in Sydney and the ground floor bar area buzzy and efficient.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 6th floor - when they are cleaning restaurant below you can hear chairs and ta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StuckinBangers
Sam_Panetta, at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our hotel is a Heritage listed hotel and our standard rooms can be smaller than others due to this. We do have affordable upgrades available if you would like a much bigger room. May I suggest choosing a Club Sofitel room which is located on a high floor as well as exclusive access to our lovely Club Sofitel with offerings such as breakfast, afternoon tea as well as drinks and canapes in the evenings.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback about our concierge team.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

If you were to ask 100 people what the main priority of a Hotel is supposed to be what do you think the answer would be?

Now at this point I am suggesting you think back to the original Hotels here, when travellers took many weeks to get anywhere and when arriving at a hotel or lodging what did they want to do? Rest. And what do you ned to rest in ?

So I have made it multiple choice just to ensure you have some different things to consider.

A. Expensive restaurant
B. An extensive and expensive mini bar selection
C. A gym you can access when you want
D. Valet parking
E. Well appointed room
F. A bed that is comfortable an allows the guest to sleep

Now if you picked "F" I personally believe you are correct. But I have been known to be wrong, and I have been told that "B" is also a good candidate if you can't get "F"

So the above being said, the primary reason I check into a Hotel is so that I may rest and "recharge my batteries" by having a nice night's sleep ready for the next day. So I plumped for "F"

So by now are you potentially guessing the direction of my review, I bet you are.

So my wife and I had no sleep because our beds inner springs had literally collapsed, this was not a sudden occurrence, we are not 200kg behemoths who jumped into the bed for a frolick prior to attempting to sleep and the mattress collapse after our arduous exercise.

The mattress is simply old and has worn out, now we frankly do not understand why somebody else would not have complained about this bed prior to us and not had it replaced.

My wife who wears a size 6 dress, got into bed and simply rolled to the side of the bed and fell out. That is how sloped the bed was from the centre. Imagine a pyramid but extend two sides, this is what the bed was like a massive pinnacle in the centre of the bed which is at the original height when it would have been manufactured ( as it has not been used ) and then each side of the bed collapsing out from the pinnacle.

It reminded me of my Boy Scout days when I made the mistake of pitching my tent on a slope ans spent the night trying to stay in the tent. Difference is I did not pay $300 for the privilege.

So we spent the night attempting to stay in bed and had a extremely uncomfortable night.

I suppose our main questions, is how could nobody previously have complained about this bed ? So if they did complain why is that the Hotel management had not changed the bed previously ?

So not only did we get no sleep, but we paid $168 for a meal in the restaurant that was of the standard of a cafe found on the back streets of Marseille, but with out the ambience.

I was unable to exercise because the gym was closed. ( a 5 star hotels whose gym is only open limited hours. ) so therefore if your a international traveller, who is on a different time zone arriving at the Sofitel Sydney, don't bother trying to go to the gym because it will be closed. The gym has been rented out to a third party operator who is not interested in the requirements of the international travellers.

Oh, and don't drive a car unless you want to park it yourself, a five star ***** with no valet parking !!!! Arrived at reception and was told to drive the car round the block to another entrance while I left my wife sitting on the curb waiting for me.

Sorry one more, the bathroom is as old as the mattress, the shelves are all hanging off the wall, the shower is in one of those old miniature bath tubs with a glass door hanging off the side. So you get in the shower and the water simply pours around the door and floods the bathroom floor so you have to use every available towel to avoid it pouring out the door into the main carpeted bedroom. You also need to remember to add the rubber suction bathtub mat to the bath before getting otherwise you will fall over and break your neck, and that only if you don't get clobbered on the head by the shower head falling off !!

The Breakfast room this morning while typing this review looks like the dining room at the local YHA, full of degenerates talking loudly and describing their conquests from the night before.

In short, do NOT stay at the Sofitel, Sydney!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rick H
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I appreciate your honesty. I would be most grateful if you could please contact me on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com to further discuss the issues you encountered regarding service at the Hotel. Our guests’ feedback and satisfaction is of paramount importance at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth and I would appreciate an opportunity to take note of this and rectify these issues for our future guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback as it is through our guests’ comments that we are better able to improve our offering.

Kind regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having flown in from Asia and the beautiful 5 star hotels available there I was bitterly disappointed with the Sofitel. The lobby itself was quite pleasant but the greeting from the staff member was quite average. Despite holding platinum status with accor hotels the staff member took around 15 to 20 minutes to get me checked in, who knows what she was doing. Her attitude was poor too.

Upon getting to the room I found it to be rather outdated. The beds are too soft, the furnishings are plain and showing signs of wear and tear. The rooms are of an average size with tiny windows. That unfortunately is due to the age of the building so I don't blame them for that. The shower/bath combo looked like it was about 30 years old and the half glass door let water all over the bathroom floor.

On the plus side the location is decent... but I will not return to this Sofitel, there are far better options in Sydney.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aussie_Flyer_dotnet
Bonjour,

Thank you for sharing your experience about our hotel.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at this wonderful hotel in June and it is well worth its 5 star rating.

From the moment you enter the foyer, the staff are consummate professionals AND friendly. This is seemingly a rare combination is hotels in Australia. So congrats to Accor for firstly hiring, retaining and training great staff in what real customer service is.

My room on the 11th floor was compact but quiet, despite being near the lifts. It had all the amenities that one expects from a 5 star room, but with nice touches like a Philips quality Ipod dock that had both the old 30 pin Iphone connectors as well as the new lighting connector for the iPhone 5. It might sound like a small thing, but they make a difference. As usual for high end Accor hotels, the bed, doona and pillows were perfect and made for a blissful night of sleep.

I ordered late night room service and the speed of service and the quality of the food was great. As was breakfast which was included in my $300 per night room. I've never seen such an impressive breakfast buffet in terms of not only quality but choice as well. The seats were great and the location on the 5th floor overlooking the courtyard was sublime. Complimentary newspapers and a great atmosphere enhanced the experience.

The only letdown here, and this seems to be a common theme with 5 star restaurants in Australia, was the coffee.

Here's the deal, all you hotel chains:

1. People that stay in 5 star hotels generally enjoy high quality coffee and many have espresso machine at home. Providing crappy instant coffee in rooms is insulting and what you expect in a 3 star motel, not one of the best hotels in Sydney. A lot of people like a good coffee when they wake up in their rooms and don't want to have to wait 30 minutes or more (to be reasonably presentable to the world :), to get good coffee in the restaurant.

2. The Nespresso pod system provided as part of the breakfast buffet is okay but the machine is confusing and the coffee, nowhere near as good as barista coffee.

3. So in caffeine desperation, I order a cappuccino from one of the helpful staff. Unfortunately you could tell either they don't have a trained barista or the beans were stale. Either way, it let down the otherwise excellent breakfast experience.

4. Oh and I would strongly recommend, that in addition you prvoide a good old fashioned pot of percolated or fresh filtered coffee. Not everyone wants the taste of espresso, especially overseas visitors and personally I would rather enjoy fresh brewed filter coffee with fresh beans, than a café latte or cappuccino made by a dilettante.

The staff in restaurant were very good and I asked for poached eggs and got them 10 minutes later. Side note to 5 star hotels- Stop serving hash browns in bain maries. If I wanted McDonalds food for breakfast I would have gone to McDonalds. This is not the first time Ive seen this and again it detracts from the other high quality food choices, including the succulent fresh fruit, cold meats and even cheese (that must be the French influence).

My only small in room quibble was the poor quality of the 'Guest Services Directory" and "Menu" in the room. Mine was very tattered and worn and did not reflect well on the otherwise immaculate tom, This is a failure of housekeeping to inform management and it can easily and cheaply be fixed.

Finally, I have to mention the FANTASTIC cocktail bar "Soiree" at the entrance of the hotel. I enjoyed a couple of lovely cocktails for $18 each, which is about the going rate for these in Sydney. What set this great bar apart was the brilliant fitout, comfortable and spacious seating, excellent lighting and attentive staff.

All these relaxing elements, combined to create warm ambience and place I could have easily spent hours in. Well done to the Sofitel for having such a great bar where clearly not just hotel patrons visit but all sorts of movers and shakers in Sydney. A must visit.

The bottom line is that the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth is a truly special 5 star hotel with great staff, amenities, food and drink and crucially, an excellent night's sleep. I cannot wait for my next visit.

Room Tip: Always smile, make sure you have drinks at "Soiree" and skip in room breakfast. Go to the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fussyandhonest
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback for the hotel. I will definitely pass this onto our Food and Beverage Director and Executive Housekeeper.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.