“Good but a little disappointing”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #60 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Wollongong, Australia
“Good but a little disappointing”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights during a recent work conference. Had a King room which was nice but pretty small. The food in the restaurant was amazing however on the first night took forever to get good & drinks even though we had a set menu & booking. It took about 45 mins to get the entree which was just antipasto plates shared for the tables & another hour to get the mains meaning it was close to 9.30 & we were starving. The found when it arrived was good although my plate only had the chicken & was missing the veggies that the others got. Also 25 mins to get a drink at dinner was a bit much. The brekky buffet was good, lots of choices. The only other downside was the lack of water pressure in the shower. I got barely a trickle out so was not very good given the prices paid ($210 per room & we had 80+ rooms). The bar area & lobby were amazing & staff at the downstairs bar were incredible & attentive & had no issue getting service here. Not sure I would go back at that price for what we got.

Stayed July 2014
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I appreciate your honesty. Our guests’ feedback and satisfaction is of paramount importance at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth and I would appreciate an opportunity to take note of this and rectify these issues for our future guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback as it is through our guests’ comments that we are better able to improve our offering.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 July 2014

It was a gift from my friend who welcomed me into Sydney, plus it's my belated Birthday present. We were upgraded to the club room and had the privilege to use the club on level 5th. That was a nice touch as it saved us a lot of time. There's no valet parking, so my friend had to find some place to park while I waited for him to check in. We were disappointed by how small the club room was! It was also right by the elevator. The bed was too soft to be comfortable, walls too think I could next door neighbour even at 4am! So we both ended up badly rested, and kind of ruined the sunday following. I understand it was an old building done up as a 5 star hotel, but it still feels like a 4 to me.

Room Tip: It pays to get upgrade or aim for club rooms, it's while lot better than waiting in long queues...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Bonjour,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to the noise from your room.

In reference to valet parking, we do have this available. The parking entrance is behind the hotel located on Bligh Street. I am sorry to read that you were not advised or aware of this.

I have shared your feedback with our team and will certainly address the issues of concern with our team.

We hope that will have the chance to welcome you back at the hotel and provide you with a 'Magnifique' experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Nice and clean rooms. Loved the Bar and drinks menu. Good Location and easy to get around the city from the hotel. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Excellent customer service. We will defiantly be coming back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Bonjour,

It was wonderful to read your feedback regarding your Sofitel experience and I thank you for taking the time to write. I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay, our product and service. The ‘My Bed’ is a brand standard in all Sofitel Luxury Hotels and we are very happy that you liked it.
We hope to have the opportunity to have you stay again at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Umina Beach, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here overnight as we went to see a show. Thought that it might be nice to try as it is in a great area of town and had a great deal on the room.

Wrong. So so disappointed in this hotel. Walking past it on my work days I always thought how lovely it looked and of course with Adora chocolate down stairs why wouldn't you!

The foyer is lovely and grand and gives you the feeling of old world charm.

The room we stayed in was on the 6th floor, it was, for a 5 star "luxury" hotel, pretty underwhelming. The room was smelly to begin with, kind of like someone had smoked in the non smoking area and tried to hide it. The sheets smelled of this weird smell as well - something like smoke and chemicals, it was foul. The bathroom needed some love and attention, there was mold in the tiles and some of the joins were pulling away.

As for sleep.... ugh...the windows were clearly NOT double glazed so the traffic from the street was heard all night and the thumping from the residents staying up stairs throttled through the roof.

Its saving grace was the buffet breakfast which was in a lovely sunny room that went onto the garden.

All in all this was the most disappointing stay in a 5 star hotel I have ever had. I would say that you get a better stay at a Best Western! if you want 5 star, go to the Westin.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bubiana
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I appreciate your honesty. Our hotel is a Heritage listed hotel and some of our rooms can be smaller than others due to this although we constantly update our offerings and provide our guests with a genuine as well as excellence in service. We do have upgraded rooms such as a Prestige Suite if you would like a larger room.

In regards to the smell you had in your room, some of our rooms have received new doonas and mattress toppers which are all organic.

I have shared your feedback with our team as well as address the issues of concern with our Engineering and Housekeeping team to ensure that our rooms continually smells clean and fresh for our guests to enjoy.

I am glad though to read your feedback in regards to our beautiful Garden Court restaurant. It does have a lovely setting with a delicious buffet.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel would have the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in. But the rest was dissapointing, a very tired hotel, had breakfast, dinner and drinks in the lounge, the meals were ok but the service was poor. Had to call the waiting staff all the time for service there were plenty of them but they spent their time making themselves look busy or talking to each other rather than attending to customers if your charging 5 star prices you cannot give a 3 star service . But your bell boy Tim could not have been more helpful also your concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Rob C
Bonjour,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay, particularly your comments on our ‘My Beds’. ‘My Beds are a feature of all Sofitel Hotels and can be customized to ensure your satisfaction.

I was very disappointed to read your comments. We do value our guests and we appreciate positive as well as constructive feedback to improve the service which we provide.

I will share your feedback with our team as well as address the issue of concern with our Department Managers to ensure that the issues are prevented from re occuring.

Again, please accept my apologies for your recent experience and my thanks for sharing your comments. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to continue to improve our product.