“Value plus the extras touches” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #53 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Value plus the extras touches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked a queen room for my mother for two nights for her birthday, at a very good rate.

On arrival she was upgraded, and had champagne and choccies waiting in the room. She was gushing to me on the phone about it, was completely unexpected to both of us. Merci Softiel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Bonjour,

It is always a pleasure to read such lovely comments about our Hotel and I am delighted that your mother enjoyed her stay with us especially celebrating a very special occasion. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our entire team and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

It was a delight and a pleasure to provide your mother a 'Magnifique' experience. I hope that we are also able to provide you with a wonderful experience on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful lobby and friendly staff.
Rooms nicely appointed with the most lovely beds so comfortable. Movies at $15 were a but expensive as not all super new. Bathroom lighting is good and nice to have a bath even if small. Disappointing the car parking wasn't better priced for guests $50.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kylie F
Bonjour,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the service provided to you by out staff and I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful lobby.

It was most pleasing to read that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that you had a comfortable stay. The ‘My Bed’ is a brand standard in all Sofitel Luxury Hotels and we are very happy that you liked it. Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our entire team.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We are here for city to surf so I inflated city hotel prices are expected.

We booked and paid $350 through their website around 6 weeks ago.

The foyer and common areas are lovely, however that's where it ends. As soon as I got out of the lift on the 16th floor, the common corridor smells old and us in need of an update. We arrive to our room 1652, to find it is heritage listed with the only original bathroom. If the room was looked after and revamped properly it could be a beautiful room but this is not the case.

-the 'original' bathroom has a grotty shower over bath, severe cleaning or regrouting required
- shower head from the sixties not reflective of a 5 star hotel experience
-no fan in the bathroom, after a 5 min shower it felt like a sauna
-no full length mirror in the room. A weekend in away usually involves getting dressed up and it would be nice to see how I looked before leaving the room
-no bedside clock for the morning (only small but expected)
-what likes like finger nail tears in the bedhead (charming and bit from me by the way)

This room either needs a proper 60's makeover or charge far less for the room.

A disappointing '5 star experience'

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Natasha P
Bonjour,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced in regards to your recent stay at the hotel. I have addressed the issues of concern with our Housekeeping and Engineering Managers to ensure that we thoroughly check the areas of concern which you have mentioned in all of our guest rooms. Your experience is certainly not up to our standards and I am very disappointed that you had experienced this.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss any comments or suggestion you may have. Please do not hesitate to email me directly on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com.

Guadalajara, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We've got a good deal on the room 160 AUD per night. Rooms are pretty and modern but our room was tiny with no view on the 17th floor. On a 500+ rooms hotel the staff told me they had no room available for us for an early check in, even though we booked 3 nights, coming from a 28 hour long-haul flight I don't think this would've affected them in anyway. Internet is not included in your rate and it's quite pricey. Location is great and bathroom amenities are of a good quality too. A good option overall if you happen to get a good rate.

2 Thank SAMUEL G
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize if we were not able to accommodate you earlier than our standard check in time due to our occupancy on the previous night being full. I understand you were arriving at an early time from a 28 hour long flight and we will certainly do our best to accommodate you as early as we can. In your future travels, to be able to have a room guaranteed for an early arrival, you can pre book your accommodation a night before.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities as well as the location of the hotel. In regards to the internet, we do have 30 minutes complimentary for all of our guests in the lobby and if you are a Le Club Accorhotels Silver, Gold or Platinum member, you are entitled to have complimentary internet during your stay.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I wrote underwhelmed in French as this reflects the pointlessness of greeting me with Bonjour when I am attending a hotel in Sydney. It felt very fake and pointless and I wouldn't expected to be greated with 你好 Nǐ hǎo when I go to the Shangri-La in Sydney.
We pulled up at the front of the hotel and there was one person there to great, who was stood holding a taxi door open for someone taking their sweet time getting out.
I had removed my baggage from the boot, got a trolley for myself and was wheeling into the foyer before he came over.
He was very abrupt and seemed over-whelmed and then asked "is that your car". I advised it was and he said "you can't leave it there". I explained I was staying at the hotel and would like it valet parked. Apparently the Sofitel does not do valet parking from the front of their hotel. I was advised to take my car around the block and underneath the hotel, which I did after I had moved my luggage to the foyer.
The concierge said he would have this taken to the room once we had booked in, which it never was and we collected these for ourselves after we had changed rooms.

Within 10 minutes of arriving in our room we asked to be moved. It felt like a prison cell with a small window and a brick wall as part of the view. We were also overlooking a bar, which was pumping out music from 17:00.
The room we were moved to was much nicer and the balcony section overlooked seating and a small garden section. However this was heavily used by smokers so no chance of having your door open for fresh air.
The service in the lounge bar was really slow and I had to remind 2 wait staff twice about how long we had been waiting. I was happy to go to the bar and order for myself, but they advised table service was offered.
The food in the lounge bar was overpriced and when we received the trio of dips, it came with lots of bread rolls and a small amount of dip.
In the lounge there was a customer who was arguing with someone to the point it was very heated. No staff member asked them to take it outside or tried to defuse the situation. I would have expected the manager to have stepped in.
We ordered room service, which was prompt and the food was tasty and well presented.
The buffet breakfast was below par and the bacon looked raw and boiled, not at all appetising. The fried egg was also undercooked as there was a lot of runny egg-white and the hash browns were very Blond.
The coffee machines were confusing and getting hot water for tea just seemed unnecessarily over complex. I had two people ask ME how to use the machine after I had stood there for 5 minutes trying to decider the instructions. Our empty dishes were not cleared as we used them, so they were piling up on the table.
It is a shame that the staff who were polite and listened were overshadowed by those who seemed 'Too Busy' to have to deal with me as a customer.
I could not wait to leave and would not stay here again.
There are much better Hotels in Sydney.

Room Tip: Steer Clear of this hotel, but if you can't find anywhere else then stay clear of rooms ending i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Bonjour,

I would like to sincereIy apologize for the inconvenience you experiencedf during your recent stay at the hotel. I was very disappointed to read the comments you had experience and it was very clear that we have failed to provide you with a wonderful experience.

I will addess the issues of concern with our Management team and ensure that issues you experienced are resolved immediately. I do thank you for your honest opinion and very detailed explanation of what you had experienced which is certainly not we would like our guests to experience.

In regards to our greeting of "Bonjour", being a French hotel, our greeting is a sign of respect from our brand being the first 5 star French hotel. I am sorry if you did not like our greeting.

I certainly do understand your disappointment but Iassure you that our guests do enjoy their stay at our hotel and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future to prove this to you. Please contact me directly on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com to personally ensure that we providfe you with a memorable and enjoyable stay.

I sincerely apologize once again for your experience and I hope we can serve you once again at the hotel.

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently stay here for 4 nights and as a platinum LeClub member who frequents Sofitel and Pullman worldwide I found the Wentworth to be far from the standard I expect of this particular hotel chain. The room is noisy (you can clearly hear the occupants of the room above walking around), the décor is 'tired' and the bathroom small. The shower rose also did not fit the bracket on the slider properly and had a habit of falling out, generally on ones head! To top it off I appear to have been over charged for the stay and have yet to receive a response from the hotel on the subject.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Bonjour,

I am very sorry to read your disappointment in regards to your recent stay at the hotel. As a a valued Le Club Platinum member, we thank you for your loyalty and our goal is to ensure that we provide you with a great stay. Our engineering team will address the issues of concern.

Please contact our Director of Guest Relations Lilian Tolentino on h3665-gr@sofitel.com to address your issues of concern immediately especially for the overcharge which you wrote.

Melton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth is the best of both worlds, in that it is close to all public transport, Train and bus and ferry and also the theatre precinct. My wife and I love the rooms looking out over the 5th floor balcony, when making your booking ask for one of these rooms. The service from the front desk to the members lounge is top rate and you are getting what you paid for. They even have a pillow selection for those who would like something different from what is supplied. We could recommend this hotel as a great place to call home for your visit to Sydney.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the courtyard on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Bonjour,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback in regards to your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel as well as the service from our team.

It is always wonderful to receive positive feedback from our guests and great to know that you enjoyed the facilities and offerings we have for our guests to enjoy.

I will certainly share your feedback with our team and we look forward to your next stay at the hotel.