“The worst Sofitel I have ever stayed in.......”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #55 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Western Australia
“The worst Sofitel I have ever stayed in.......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

As an A-Club "Gold" member and frequent Sofitel Hotel guest in many countries I can easily say this is the worst not by a bit but by a country mile. The only good part was our courteous check-in and professional attitude of the front desk officer Daniel. The rest is laughable. The rooms are smaller than even rooms in Paris. We even has an upgrage superior room, not a classic room. I asked what was superior about it and they said it was bigger and I had a view over the courtyard. I would hate to think what a classic room looked like. The rooms were very dusty, the glass panels on the wall unit hadn't been dusted in years it seemed. The toilet roll holder was broken and the rolls had fallen off. the bin in the room was still full from the previous guest. But that was not the worst.

We were here for one night whilst returning from LA and thought it would be nice to break up the trip home in Sydney. We took advatage of the Sofitel Sensations special which gave us a classic room, dinner for two and a bottle of wine, breakfast, pre-dinner drinks and canapes and free parking(which was not needed). Sounds good, I agree....BUT

The dinner consisted of 2 courses and few options but on the menu you could UPGRADE to some other dishes. We wre not know this as our waiter did not point this out and when my partner askes what the soup of the day was she was glared upon and told that is not on the "Sensation" menu but was next to where we were reading. the waiter said that's optional but still refused to tell us what it was. as was if he thought we couldn't afford it. our table of four just laughed at his attitude and tried to enjoy the meal. The food was ok, nothing more, nothing less.
The best part however was the pre-dinner snacks and drinks. When we arrived at Club Sofitel we were instructed that the drinks etc would be in a back room away from the main club area. I asked why as I always stay in a Club room at every Sofitel and that this looked like the main area. i was told that I couldn't stay here and have a drink as I was on the "Sensations" package. I found this insulting and my dinner party and I felt like homeless people being offered some refuge and meal when in fact we paid a fair price that they advertised. it was the biggest upsell I have ever seen a hotel in Australia attempt. I suggest they spend money on a complete overhaul including training for staff and become like the Sofitel in London and LA and charge more and gives those who frequent this chain the service and respect they pay for. In hospitality I always thought the customer really pays the bills. The Sofitel Sydney needs a good hard look in the mirror.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

Although the rooms are somewhat small and the decor a little dated, the Sofitel Wentworth still stacks up as a sound choice for a business stay in Sydney. After a long day travelling to or working in the city, those Sofitel beds are really hard to bead. Forget the cramped room. When you lie on that bed it's worth it.

For me, what the Sofitel lacked in room space (including the little bathroom with the very weird doors), it made up for in sound customer service by the front desk staff.

After a major mix up with a room service meal, I received my meal at no charge. All can be forgiven when a mistake is made and the venue "owns" the mistake and is genuinely apologetic.

Good customer service Wentworth. I'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

Formerly the Rydges Wentworth and formerly the Sheraton Wentworth (and probably a few other itinerant brands) .

The rooms are smallish for 5 star but very presentable.

We had room service dinner and it lacked flavour.

Good facilities in a good location though.

Staff service in the bar, and reception was too slow.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

Just returned from 2 nights at the Wentworth - the hotel itself was lovely and the rooms just as good. The only drawback was the staff were rather aloof. It always seemed quite an effort to get anyone to help us. The Saturday night we statyed was fully booked out and the receptionist who booked us in seemed very bored with his job and just wanted to get out of there. The breakfast the following morning was so busy we had to queue for a table. I found it odd there was no coffee at breakfast - about half an hour into breakfast a waiter came past with cold filter coffee and gave us a cup which was terrible. The next day we were more savvy and ordered an espresso from the waiter which was lovely.

The rooms are small but not uncomfortably so and the location is great. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Metta_Maker
Brisbane,Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

I booked a two night package stay that was marketed on Foxtel which supposedly included complimentary dinner, wine etc was a total rort! Admittedly, the hotel itself is stunning but that is the only positive thing I could say about it. The staff were unaware of the marketing package so I had to keep reminding them what I was entitled too, we were charged excessively on things that were sold to us as complimentary and I can honestly say that I am shocked they class themselves as a 5 star hotel. Unless you want to pay $1000 for a 2 night supposed great package stay, I would suggest you find a more appropriate establishment.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissT78
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I stayed in a superior room with a friend and it was just a 1 night stay before an early flight the next morning. Not an overly large room but there were 2 double beds in the room. The 'My bed' was really nice. Down pillows, mattress cover, and doona. One of the best beds I have tried. Really nice staff. Tried room service quite late in the evening and they were prompt. Food was very good for room service, especially the pizza and creme brulee. Had room service breakfast as well and was quite a spread. Breakfast was included in the room rate however it stated it needed to be taken at the restaurant. Checked with front desk and was told it could be taken as room service. When I checked out, I noticed the charge for the breakfast was on there but the front desk person happily took the charge off with no hassle. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank rc33
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

We booked 4 nights at the Sofitel at the beginning of our trip and 4 nights at the end of the trip. We arrived at 8am and our room was ready for us (which was wonderful since we could shower!). Our room was really nice - clean, comfortable bed, nice sized bathroom. It was just the standard room (we also received calls about upgrading, but chose not to since we knew we wouldn't spend too much time there). The concierge was very helpful and gave us great dinner recommendations each night and also great ideas on when to go to various attractions. The happy hour in the bar was nice, but we did feel under dressed with all of the business people! I loved all of the flowers in the lobby - it had a great feel.

The location was incredible! A short walk to the Rocks (my favorite area), a couple blocks to the Botanical Gardens (great for a run), and also close to Circular Quay and the Opera House. I could not have been happier with this hotel. When we booked, we opted for the lowest rate, non-refundable. I was a little nervous having booked at the end of the trip, too (what if we didn't like it?), but I was happy that we did.

When we left for Cairns, they even kept our suitcases for us so that we just had to bring smaller ones - extremely helpful. Upon returning, we had a corner room which was not as nice as the first room. We stayed one night and asked to switch...they did with no problem and even upgraded us for free! We had a great room with a balcony and it was a perfect size.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here...and eat at the Chophouse behind the hotel. Delicious!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple