“Highlight of our trip!”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #68 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel on a club floor and found the service professional and frendly.
The rooms were small but adequate and serviced on time. Unfortunately the view is not nice. However , the hotel is very nicely and centrally situated and many attractions can be reached on foot. The club facilities are fantastic!!! We took our scrumptious breakfasts at leisure in the tranquil venue. We simply loved the high tea and the pre-dinner drinks where we had many glasses of French champagne and excellent red wines. The accompanying snacks at both the tea and drinks session were very elegant. We loved every moment of our 4 day stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Cinnamonr

Reviewed 4 September 2009

The high point is the staff service and welcome. Its very good, although reservations through their call centre can be downright rude.
The rooms are small - oh So french! But they don't look out on any nice views, sometimes onto a concrete plaza.
The restaurant food is good - Jesse Ong is a great chef but the breakfast service can be hit and miss. Coffee can take an eternity. Come to think about it its stuck in a funny place with not much around it - sort of half way between anything. Maybe thats why the liberal party feel cormfortable here and always book their election night gathering in house.
Stay here if you get a good rate.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank KetutSeminyak
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I admit I was apprehensive about the hotel as it has some less than positive reviews on TA... but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were all really great and helpful, the breakfast was great (loads of choice), the bed was very very comfy and all in all we had a great stay.The only very minor issue is they forgot our newspaper... but no biggie!

1  Thank RayandLisa
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I think the previous person's experience of the Sofitel was unfortunate. It wasn't mine. I stayed on the package to catch up with an old friend whilst visiting Sydney and enjoyed every minute of my stay. With afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks, dinner, breakfast and room all included - if you could find better value for money anywhere in the 1st world I'd like to know about it.

I would agree that the room is smallish but the bathroom was roomy and with all the lounges and sitting areas around the hotel (no one stopped us from entering any part of the hotel) you don't need to sit in your room.

The staff were attentive and always polite. Infact, some of the best I've had recently and I've been to Paris, London, Amsterdam and America in the last year. It made me proud to be an Aussie.

The food was good too. Not a wide choice but very good including the free bottle of wine with dinner which was of very good quality also.

The hotel has a great location and is very quiet but doesn't have the big views of the hotels down at the Quay. I was astonished at the most beautiful display of orchids around the lobby and I think the revamp of the hotel into a modern gentleman's club really works. Treat yourself.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jobaby66
Reviewed 30 August 2009

we have stayed in over 25 hotels in sydney over the last 20 years it is something we love doing, we love staying at 5 stares hotels this was not a five stare hotel although they charged like it. First the attitude of some staff members were beyond annoying they were down right rude on two occasion my partner was spoken down to by two different staff members he said it made him feel like a second class citizen . The room package that we chose was not what they had advertised it was below average even though we had up graded our room it was still very small and not very clean no were nere a 5 star room . i would like to tell you more about this hotel but one of the other hotel patron has said it all in his review on the 27 august all i can say now is that we were very very diappointed in your hotel your service and some of your staff.

1  Thank lovemysydney
Reviewed 27 August 2009

As an A-Club "Gold" member and frequent Sofitel Hotel guest in many countries I can easily say this is the worst not by a bit but by a country mile. The only good part was our courteous check-in and professional attitude of the front desk officer Daniel. The rest is laughable. The rooms are smaller than even rooms in Paris. We even has an upgrage superior room, not a classic room. I asked what was superior about it and they said it was bigger and I had a view over the courtyard. I would hate to think what a classic room looked like. The rooms were very dusty, the glass panels on the wall unit hadn't been dusted in years it seemed. The toilet roll holder was broken and the rolls had fallen off. the bin in the room was still full from the previous guest. But that was not the worst.

We were here for one night whilst returning from LA and thought it would be nice to break up the trip home in Sydney. We took advatage of the Sofitel Sensations special which gave us a classic room, dinner for two and a bottle of wine, breakfast, pre-dinner drinks and canapes and free parking(which was not needed). Sounds good, I agree....BUT

The dinner consisted of 2 courses and few options but on the menu you could UPGRADE to some other dishes. We wre not know this as our waiter did not point this out and when my partner askes what the soup of the day was she was glared upon and told that is not on the "Sensation" menu but was next to where we were reading. the waiter said that's optional but still refused to tell us what it was. as was if he thought we couldn't afford it. our table of four just laughed at his attitude and tried to enjoy the meal. The food was ok, nothing more, nothing less.
The best part however was the pre-dinner snacks and drinks. When we arrived at Club Sofitel we were instructed that the drinks etc would be in a back room away from the main club area. I asked why as I always stay in a Club room at every Sofitel and that this looked like the main area. i was told that I couldn't stay here and have a drink as I was on the "Sensations" package. I found this insulting and my dinner party and I felt like homeless people being offered some refuge and meal when in fact we paid a fair price that they advertised. it was the biggest upsell I have ever seen a hotel in Australia attempt. I suggest they spend money on a complete overhaul including training for staff and become like the Sofitel in London and LA and charge more and gives those who frequent this chain the service and respect they pay for. In hospitality I always thought the customer really pays the bills. The Sofitel Sydney needs a good hard look in the mirror.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

Although the rooms are somewhat small and the decor a little dated, the Sofitel Wentworth still stacks up as a sound choice for a business stay in Sydney. After a long day travelling to or working in the city, those Sofitel beds are really hard to bead. Forget the cramped room. When you lie on that bed it's worth it.

For me, what the Sofitel lacked in room space (including the little bathroom with the very weird doors), it made up for in sound customer service by the front desk staff.

After a major mix up with a room service meal, I received my meal at no charge. All can be forgiven when a mistake is made and the venue "owns" the mistake and is genuinely apologetic.

Good customer service Wentworth. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business