“hard to fault”

Ranked #57 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Canberra
“hard to fault”
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We checked in at the 'club checkin' which was great, room was lovely.
The club lounge was so convenient as in other Sofitel hotels.
We dropped in to the lounge for afternoon tea, then for pre-dinner drinks and canape's. Breakfast was a little busy but the staff were very friendly and helpful so you didn't mind the slight delay.
it was located within walking distance to everything and the staff were very helpful.
We really enjoyed our stay here and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Buddenz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Beats me how the room key card has "Sofitel - Luxury Hotels" printed on it. The room is really outdated. The bathroom is what I would expect from a good motel and the room walls have so many scuff marks on them it looks like someone had football practice in here. The desk is pretty small and as the phone is not wireless and is next to the bed, it is quite a stretch to get it over to the desk. We booked a meeting room and were given a cavernous one at the rear of the "Club". Way too big for 5 people. We asked for a white board and even in this modern age, we were given a half-sized one (non-electronic) that they had to go and search for. Not attuned to business meetings, this place. Nevertheless - it still cost us! Room internet access is $24.95/day. I guess most people charge (not everywhere though), but what really got me was when we asked at reception for the business centre to print out a few pages which we had sent to our webmail, we had to BUY extra access - $5.00 for 23 minutes. Almost nothing, if you don't have to wait 15 minutes at reception to be served!. The business centre is a bank of 5 cubicles in a dingy room behind reception, all sharing a single printer. I think this hotel is in a good spot if you are a tourist or have meetings outside the hotel - but for hotel-based meetings, it is pretty mickey mouse. Staff are friendly though.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank afxdes
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed with my 2 besties for a girlie trip. Got a greeat deal, otherwise we would have had to skip to another property. Check in was fast, I had nothing to fill in and was given the room key. We were staying on a club floor and luckily I have stayed in this room category before or I'd have no idea where to go or what was on offer as reception told me nothing on check in. This was settled when we went up to the club floor after ditching our suitcases as they apologised and gave me the welcome letter that reception should have. The club floor was nice and spacious with a generous offering of canapes and drinks each evening, and the morning brekki was lovely. The internet was as little slow though. Our room was small, as per most reviews and as there were 3 of us they had forgotton to put in the rollaway so I had to ring for that, that really made the room tight but we managed. The facilities were nice and the shower / bath was lovely. The concierge did more than his share to help us on a number of occasions but reception was a bit of an effort each time I spoke with them.

Also the property is very close to the Quay but a bit of a hike to darling harbour if you need to get there, but we made use of our legs and the monorail so no biggie.

All in all a great stay, you have to make use of the club floor in its entirity to get value for your money as it is exy. I think Brisbane sofitel is still premier to this one.

But would stay again

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ang C
Johannesburg,South africa
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel on a club floor and found the service professional and frendly.
The rooms were small but adequate and serviced on time. Unfortunately the view is not nice. However , the hotel is very nicely and centrally situated and many attractions can be reached on foot. The club facilities are fantastic!!! We took our scrumptious breakfasts at leisure in the tranquil venue. We simply loved the high tea and the pre-dinner drinks where we had many glasses of French champagne and excellent red wines. The accompanying snacks at both the tea and drinks session were very elegant. We loved every moment of our 4 day stay.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Cinnamonr
Seminyak, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 September 2009

The high point is the staff service and welcome. Its very good, although reservations through their call centre can be downright rude.
The rooms are small - oh So french! But they don't look out on any nice views, sometimes onto a concrete plaza.
The restaurant food is good - Jesse Ong is a great chef but the breakfast service can be hit and miss. Coffee can take an eternity. Come to think about it its stuck in a funny place with not much around it - sort of half way between anything. Maybe thats why the liberal party feel cormfortable here and always book their election night gathering in house.
Stay here if you get a good rate.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank KetutSeminyak
Brisbane
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I admit I was apprehensive about the hotel as it has some less than positive reviews on TA... but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were all really great and helpful, the breakfast was great (loads of choice), the bed was very very comfy and all in all we had a great stay.The only very minor issue is they forgot our newspaper... but no biggie!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RayandLisa
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I think the previous person's experience of the Sofitel was unfortunate. It wasn't mine. I stayed on the package to catch up with an old friend whilst visiting Sydney and enjoyed every minute of my stay. With afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks, dinner, breakfast and room all included - if you could find better value for money anywhere in the 1st world I'd like to know about it.

I would agree that the room is smallish but the bathroom was roomy and with all the lounges and sitting areas around the hotel (no one stopped us from entering any part of the hotel) you don't need to sit in your room.

The staff were attentive and always polite. Infact, some of the best I've had recently and I've been to Paris, London, Amsterdam and America in the last year. It made me proud to be an Aussie.

The food was good too. Not a wide choice but very good including the free bottle of wine with dinner which was of very good quality also.

The hotel has a great location and is very quiet but doesn't have the big views of the hotels down at the Quay. I was astonished at the most beautiful display of orchids around the lobby and I think the revamp of the hotel into a modern gentleman's club really works. Treat yourself.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends