“I won a luxurious accom for 2 but the room had no luxury whatsoever”

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #69 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I had won a night at the Sofitel Wentworth and was so excited, the prize was described as accommodation for two at a luxurious superior room. My expectations were high due to the key work "luxurious", I expected a huge room with a spa bath. When I phoned the hotel to confirm I was coming noone knew about the prize not even the person that had signed the prize! that was a bit sad but nevertheless still looking forward to a luxurious room... to our surprise, we were given probably the smallest room in the hotel, very economical looking. On a high note the room service was excellent, they did find gluten free food for me and the food was really nice.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eventsmanager
MichaelDaviss, Executive Assistant Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2009

Dear Eventsmanager,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am happy to read your positive thoughts on our room service and the popular choice of gluten free food we have at the hotel. With this said I am very concerned to learn of your frustration in being able to book your prize voucher and also that this was not a spa room.

Thank you once again your review as this will allow us to address the issues you have raised.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,766)

Reviewed 3 October 2009

I've stayed here a number of times and despite myself I keep going back, mainly because the location is good and there are often cheap rooms available. However you get what you pay for. I have never had an "incident free" stay at this hotel and I wonder if it is simply poor housekeeping or poor management? On my most recent trip the check-in was ok, given room on 10th floor, supposedly non-smoking. When I opened the door I was accutely aware that non-smoking probably meant that the room itself was not a smoker but perhaps previous guests had been. The room had been poorly cleaned with beer bottle tops on the floor, the bathroom had plenty of pubic hair (another gift from the previous guest). Ordinarilly I would have asked for a room change, but having experienced room changes at this hotel before I was not sure that the effort would be worth the wait and hassle. Upon checking out I was asked how my stay was and I replied "adequate". The reception staff muttered something like "well that's all you can hope for here". It says it all.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ozmadmax
MichaelDaviss, Executive Assistant Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2009

Dear Ozmadmax,

At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth we always like to hear from recurring guests, so many thanks for stopping by tripadvisor. As a return visitor your feedback is particularly valuable, as you are in a perfect position to monitor our hotel in a regular and more personal way than most. Therefore, your comments regarding housekeeping and room presentation during your previous visits is a concern, and far from acceptable for any guest– whether you are paying full price of a special discounted rate. As such, these matters are being investigated by our team. On a more positive note, I am glad that you find our address so central and convenient, and trust that you are taking advantage of our great online deals.

I hope your previous room issues don’t deter you from staying with us again on your next visit to Sydney and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2009

Wow, if this is not the best value at a hotel, I don't know what is. Our package cost $298 and was for 2 adults and 3 children. It included soft drink, water, juices all day, pre dinner canapes and drinks, afternoon tea, buffet breakfast, upgrade to a luxury room, bottle of wine AND valet parking! Rooms are pleasant but housekeeping attention to detail is rather poor, with pubic hair left all over the place. With the extreme value of this package I was prepared to turn a blind eye, but at standard rates I would have been very unhappy indeed. Position is good, with easy access to shopping, business and circular quay districts.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GeckoTravel

Dear Travelwizsydney,

The Sofitel Sensations Package is definitely good value for money and has and has been very popular. It is a great way to spend some quality time with the family and the position of the hotel is also perfect for all of our guests either here on leisure or business. The points you have raised about the hotel room you stayed in during your recent visit is something that concerns me greatly and our Executive Housekeeper is looking at this week to ensure this is addressed immediately. I can assure you that delivering a luxury experience remains our priority at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, regardless of the style and value of the package you have selected.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope to look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Reviewed 2 October 2009

Had to pay AUD24.95 for 24 hrs internet and got at best 0.50 Mb/s download and
0.13 Mb/s upload speeds, see test result here http://www.speedtest.net/result/580845557.png
What technology are they using?? What a rip-off!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank DoMeAFavour
Reviewed 26 September 2009

The Sofitel Wentworth is an excellent hotel. The service is incredible, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the beds are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept in!

The sheets and towels were luxurious, the orchids and floral displays throughout the lobby and entire hotel were divine, and the staff were so helpful and attentive. The location is great too, close to the Rocks and all the best shops.

We received a tremendous deal by choosing the Indulgence package, which entitled us to afternoon tea, pre dinner drinks and canapes, dinner and dessert, a complimentary bottle of wine, and full buffet breakfast!

I would definitely love to stay there again next time I'm in Sydney.

2  Thank thriller_7
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Great Location,very comfortable room and bathroom,friendly service,good breakfast buffet style and room service.Plush lobby and nice bar on ground floor.Stayed here on many occasions and never had reason to complain!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank EdinburghGraemekidd
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Stayed one night here on the sensations package,along with a lot of other people.We stayed in a superior room,which overlooked the courtyard.The room was clean and comfortable,and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud.The bathroom was on the small side though.
Our package included afternoon tea,a good selection of sandwiches and cakes,with great coffee.Pre dinner drinks with a buffet of really good hoers doerves.Two course dinner and bottle of wine,and buffet breakfast.All the meals were really good,with lovely service from the staff.
At no time were we made to feel like 2nd class because of the package as one previous reviewer said,the staff were proffessional,and polite,and went out of their way to help.
I would stay here again,and would recommend this hotel to others.Maybe upgrade to club room next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple