“Awful, even for a backpacker hostel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sydney Backpackers

Sydney Backpackers
Ranked #96 of 137 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Austin, Texas
“Awful, even for a backpacker hostel.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I are not fussy travellers, and I have been in a number of backpackers in various locations, with this one being by far the worst.

Firstly, let me start out with saying the location is awesome - we needed to be near St Andrews and so for this, it was ideal. This was the only thing good about it.

Checkin in took a long time, with only one staff member able to help the busy rush of 12+ people standing in the tiny lobby. Once checked in, we were handed a sheet, pillow case and thin blanket, with an extra fee for a thicker blanket and towels.

We booked a twin room with ensuite, which was a small room with two single beds that had been pushed together. The beds were uneven in height and would roll across the room if we weren't careful, so this was not a suitable substitution for a double bed as we had thought we would get. We ended up sharing one of the single beds between the two of us, so we could also use the two blankets as an extra layer of warmth was necessary in the cold rooms, and also so we wouldn't fall on the floor if one of the beds rolled.

These were also the most uncomfortable beds I have ever experienced! It felt like we were sleeping on a wooden plank, with zero padding and if you lay on your side, the springs would stick into your hip or shoulders and was quite painful.

The bathroom was ok - although after we discovered six bars of old soap above the shower from previous guests, we felt that it wasn't cleaned too well, or very often.

Finally, the rooms aren't very sound proof, and as our room was close the bathrooms and showers, we could hear other guests using the showers and even using the toilets which was less than pleasant. It also meant that when the other people on our floor came home at all hours of the night, their conversations and door openings (there's a beep every time unlock the door) would wake us up fairly easily. I am a very heavy sleeper, so this is actually quite impressive.

Finally, the late check out option is completely misleading. The sign at the front said late check out is at 12am, so when we mentioned we would like the late check out option as our plane left at 5pm, the staff told us the sign meant 12 noon and that "common sense" would have told us that. I'm not sure why we would need common sense to know their policy was typed incorrectly, but we were quite shocked this hadn't come up before!

The only reason we didn't leave as soon as we arrived was because they have a no refunds policy and you have to pay up front (we didn't have the spare money to throw $300 away). For $100 a night for two of us, we didn't expect much, but we certainly didn't expect the terrible accommodation we received for our money.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, ask for a twin with an ensuite. At least you get your own bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I don't like being harsh, but this is the worst backpackers I have ever stayed at. It is just disappointing. I'm giving it 2 stars because for my purposes it was fine. I had a 4 bed room completely to myself for 2 nights and I only saw a total of 5 other guests in that time. I was traveling to Sydney for a meeting and didn't want to spend money on this trip. It was also the closest hostel to where i needed to be.

1- the previous guest in my room must have spilled a bottle of drink on the floor, probably beer given the bottle caps on the floor that I had to pick up and put in the full bin myself. So a section of the floor was recently stained and sticky. I was fortunate to just choose the bed away from the mess. There are signs everywhere saying no alcohol in the rooms, but since the location is unattended I don't know how they can enforce such a rule.

2- I was woken in the morning by some drunken street fighting, but given I also had a terrible cold I was exhausted and went back to sleep. But the noise from the bar next door IS loud so do bring ear plugs if noise bothers you.

3- the shower I used couldn't get hot enough to have a comfortable shower. In fact I think the water was so cold it began to seem warm, but was in fact freezing. How much do you want to shower. Overall, one shower was a bit dirty, but the one next to it with cold water was clean... I guess I discovered why.... LV1 shower, 1st on the left.

4- to be fair, I had a terrible chest infection and coughing loudly throughout the night. I was relieved the place was empty to I could suffer loudly in peace.

I like hard sleeping surfaces so the mattress and pillow didn't bother me.

The sheet and pillow cover were similar to other backpackers - but the blanket IS bad.

Room Tip: No Pool I think...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Hi my name is damien Auksorius I stayed here over the Christmas break , I found the rooms to be very clean and tidy and also very close to Sydney harbour , loved it , , the price also for the rooms were also very well priced , why pay big money when these rooms are just as good

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 23 May 2014

For a week as a tourist

If I have a chance to visit Sydney again, I'll choose Sydney Backpackers without question.

Firstly, this backpackers is located in quite good place. I could go to DarlingHarvor, Central Station, Operahouse and so on by walk.

What is more, you can get Woolworth and Choles within 5minutes on foot.

Secondly, Every rooms are quite clean. They are regularly cleaning everyroom including toilet, ckichen and guest room.

Lastly, Free Wifi is available. I was able to connect internet on my bed for free.

In my opinion, Sydney backpackers is the best accommodation with pretty cheap fare.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jaewoongwi
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in this hostel for one night and I am not sure why most reviews have been so harsh on the place. Its in a great location in terms of connectivity. You can walk fromt eh Railway station, from the intercity bus stop, from Darling Harbor etc. The free bus stops right at the lane of the hotel.
The staff didnot charge me the 10$ kep deposit as I was leaving very early the next morning (when the reception would have been closed). They also suggested me the airport shuttle which picked me right at the door step and infact was cheaper than taking public transport at 5 AM!
The bathrooms could be a bit better and definitely there should be liquid soap in toilets (there wasn't any when I was there). But all in all just to crash in a central location at a cheap price, its a good choice. I will book it again!

Room Tip: 1st floor is better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank IntergalaticTraveler
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Where to start about Sydney Backpackers. We live in the Sydney suburbs but decided to stay in town for the weekend while our friends from Norway came to explore.

Firstly, the staff at reception are so slow. Took us a good 10minutes of us just standing there to finally begin to get served.
Secondly, awful location. Sure close to town hall station but located on a street with VERY loud roadworks, at time of review, down the road from a bar where very loud drunks walk back. Closing the windows does nothing to drown out this noise.

Thirdly, the thing they call rooms . Rock hard, extremely uncomfortable beds that creak every time you move ever so slightly. Some distinguishing and poor excuse for a pillow that could only do wonders for your neck (sarcasm). It's small, barely gives you any support. No provision of towels for the bathroom.

Overall awful. Seriously contemplating losing my money and heading back home , skipping our booked 2nd night :/

Highly do NOT recommend

• Stayed March 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for about four nights in the 2 bed dorm. Although it was cool to have a TV and our own fridge we didn't have a window and were right outside the toilets. The toilets were gross. They stunk really bad and the only hand soap provided was actual blocks of soap; no way am I going to wash my hands with something a ton of other people have also used. Ick. The shower head is right above you - good luck ladies trying to avoid getting your hair wet.
There was a laundry right outside too - some rude person decided that 2am was a great time to do their washing. Drunk people were yelling at 3am but you couldn't do anything because reception closed at about 11PM. It should be 24/7!
The kitchen was disgusting. I swear the oven and stove tops had never been cleaned before. There were cockroaches and it stunk so badly we nearly threw up!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends