“Home away from home”
Review of Eva's Backpackers

Eva's Backpackers
Ranked #22 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Eva's for three weeks when we arrived in Australia. We had booked it in a hurry a week before leaving and we chose it because it was the first hostel having vacancy when we called. We thought we could still find another hostel once we're there if that one didn't suit us but we never had to look for another one!
Eva's backpackers was the perfect place for us. It's by far the cleanest of the three hostels that I visited in Australia. Its staff is friendly, and it offers great service and facilities : free basic breakfast (muesli, coffee, hot chocolate, tea), free linen, free towels, no extra fee for using dishes (as we saw in another hostel in Sydney), BBQ, lockers (be sure to bring your own padlock, or buy one at reception)...
There is also a rooftop terrace that you can use until 10pm (BBQ are there) to chill out and enjoy a great view on the city.
Its a relatively quiet hostel (compared to those in which it party all night long). This means that rooftop closes at ten and guests are supposed to be quiet after ten and not hang out in front of the hostel. It was great for us because this also means you can get some sleep if you want to.
Many people we met there were staying here for several weeks or month.
Special thanks to Carmen, who is in charge of the cleaning and who is just wonderful, one the the nicest person I ever met. Eva's wouldn't be the same without you!

Room Tip: The free wifi is slow as hell. There is a paid WiFi as well, which is quite expensive ($12 for a wee...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sbooob

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This little place is a gem. Great location in the Cross, close to everything but tucked away in a quiet street. The hostel is really homely, the staff are lovely and it's very clean. The only nego thing I'd say was that the rooms were a bit too dark, but I can't really moan at energy saving lightbulbs can I?! I really enjoyed my stay at Eva's and I'd defo recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam_206
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed in private room with 3 people total. Located in the center of King's cross and you can walk to Circular Quay in 20 minutes. Rooftop is a nice retreat. Amenities and bathrooms are adequate. Kitchen and dining area can get way too crowded

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 4 nights in a 3 share dorm. We were lucky that we had the room for ourselves, but besides the room was really clean and good beds. They've got beautifull and clean bathrooms (not shared showers or toilets, but a bathroom for 1 at a time. Hadn't wait to shower once though!). Free wifi is great, but the cooking area is small and busy in the evenings.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RickH1991
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Location is very good, 5 minutes walk to the nearest subway, bars just at the entrance.
The staff were very lovely and helpful, made our land smooth and easy!

The only cons is that some rooms are tiny and not equipped, while other are fully equipped and for the same price, so be aware of that.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yogev A
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Location wise this place is great, hard to beat. What let this place down for me was the fact they advertised free wifi but for the entire 5 days it did not work. I kept being told it was a fault with my laptop despite the fact that every other guest couldn't seem to log on either. The staff were simply not interested in working out the problem.
The rooms were clean, very basic but clean. What the places does need is a lick of paint though.

Also, got to add this, the cleaning lady (Maria?) was lovely and added a friendly face to the hostel that the front of house staff certainly lacked.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Eva's Backpackers in Sydney. The hostel had all of the amenities needed - super safe and secure; fully-equipped kitchen; free tea, coffee and hot chocolate; lots of (and very clean) bathrooms with plenty of hot water; well sized dorm rooms with fans and personal lights and large lockers; very close to King's Cross for restaurants and transport systems to the CBD/waterfront; super friendly staff and a wonderful Ecuadorian cleaning lady who is just adorable and friendly. Only downside was that the wi-fi didn't work on my laptop or phone but there was a free wi-fi for travelers shop up the road that worked a treat. The kitchen/dining area is smaller than some but it means you do get to socialise and meet other guests in the hostel. Slightly more on the expensive side but I really liked it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo